Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [x9] DozenRooms

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 17:42 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 12:06
DozenRooms

Experimental "horror" game by Muzzles56

Knock knock. You creak open the door for your next assignment. Last time it was a hospital, now it's an apartment complex. "Inspect this one carefully", your boss says, "We've been hearing bad things about this one." He hands you a dirty key, possible scavenged from a dumpster. "It's for the back exit, don't go in through the main hallway, take the fire escape. Remember, some construction is taking place there."

A long journey. You climb over the metal fence, injuring yourself in the process. THUNK. You land on the concrete ground. Before you is an alleyway of eerie proportions. You can feel it. As if someone is...watching you.

DozenRooms is an experimental "horror" (Term used loosely) game. This is an experiment by me just to see how tough it is to make a horror game using no jumpscares and also telling a story without narration. How successful have I been? That's what I would like you to tell me. More information can be found in the text files in the game folder.

Click to download:

Specs: AMD FX-8120 8-Core Processor (3.1GHz) / Radeon 7770 / 16GB RAM / Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
My interest is piqued, I'll give this a try and let you know what I think

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 22:07
Where's the download link?

Nah seriously I'll try this out.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 00:38
i'll give it a try this weekend.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2013 12:47
I, for some reason, can't open the first door.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2013 20:34 Edited at: 8th Apr 2013 20:41
Here is my review... or rather my personal oppinion...

Story

You don't tell a story during your game at all. And then again, you actually do. Your techniques work pretty well although they are rather roughly implemented. But in the future, once you learn to create your own assets and to place them in a more subtile way, these techniques will work even better than they already do for Dozen Rooms. The game has a great atmosphere especially in the beginning that I didn't expect from the screenshots!

Gameplay

I was rather surprised by the gameplay. It was very good. But then again, your enemy placement needs improvement. Make sure they will not get stuck in doors or wall corners. This way, the remain believeable and scary. And don't overdo that backtracking thing - as a player, you don't know where there are hidden items and you can really spend a lot of time searching them since you don't know the level by heart. During this time... nothing else happens.

I'd personally recommend to get rid of melee gameplay in FPSC. It just.. doesn't turn out as good gameplay in the end. At least there is no attempt I've seen that succeeded in creating good melee gameplay in FPSC, that is.

Tech

Use the shader effects that come with FPSC. For example, right-click a lamp entitiy in the editor, set the effect to illuminationmap and it turns into light with acutal... light

The sound design was great! - Partly, that is. The enemy sounds were pretty weak, the dying sound is awful, remove it or - better - replace it! You placed a lot of enivornemnt sounds, something rather rarely done in FPSC, and you even placed good environment sounds, that established a great atmosphere. But don't forget to add good sounds for enemies and player interactions as well!

The scripting in this game is rather on basic level, but the scripts are implemented pretty well into the world. And that is what matters at the end of the day.

The loading screen and menu surrounding Dozen Rooms are rough but good. I liked them.

Conclusion

Dozen Rooms creates a great atmosphere in the beginning, but it cannot keep it up on this high level because of little issues here and there. However, it's a good start with high potential if you take the time to polish it or learn from it for future projets!

I'd say overall: 6,5/10

Good work, it's a really, reaaallly solid start, man

Muzzles56
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2013 22:55
@Metal Devil123

If you die or complete the game and click "New Game" again, you cannot open doors, it says so in the readme file. If not, remember that F is the interaction key

@D0MINIK

Thanks for the review. I wasnt planning for this to be a full length game, but moreso an experiment, and to get a 65% on an experimental thing is quite nice, especially for my first completed project. Perhaps I will make a remake and improve on the things you have specified.
SILTYSILVER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2013 03:58
Hey its pretty cool. I played some of it but im gonna wait till the day time to finish because I don't want to play it at night.

NINJA BABY ATTACK!!!
Muzzles56
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 00:54
Well it's been 2 months or so, and I decided to upload this to GameJolt. As luck would have it, someone decided to make a Let's Play of it, so if anyone wants to experience it that way, check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUZoTSdnzsg

Specs: AMD FX-8120 8-Core Processor (3.1GHz) / Radeon 7770 / 16GB RAM / Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:47:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:47:08