Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / MiniMSIMaker issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 20:11
Seems I can't catch a break...
When I run my EXE that is built with the AppGameKit compiler it works 100% fine. If I run the EXE from that I've installed with the MiniMSIMaker's installer it opens a blank webpage whenever I exit my game to the menu and if I pause then resume the game it tries to open "xn--9ca/" in my web browser. I've tried this with a build from 1089 and 1076 with the same results. I do not call any http functions in my game and can see nothing that would cause this.
Again it only happens with the version I've installed with the installer made with MiniMSIMaker and not the EXE that was built by the AppGameKit compiler (same exact EXE file...).
The results are the same across multiple computers.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 20:38
Are you working in Tier 1 or Tier 2?

If in Tier 1, did your packaging include the <yourapp>.byc file from the <yourwinproj>/media directory?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 20:44
Tier 1 and yes, I've included the byc file.
It is named the same as the exe (dFenz.exe and dFenz.byc) and is stored in the media folder. Everything runs fine just the game pops open the browser. It is very odd and I'm not sure if I could reproduce it with any other code and don't really have time to try.
Have you built anything with the MiniMSIMaker?
If you want to see the issue you can download the malfunctioning game from here:
http://naplandgames.com/uploads/dFenz.msi

I'm trying to run through Lee's process using War Setup and MyFreeInstaller to see if it also happens there.

Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 21:53
Yup, that is odd.

Without looking at your code, I couldn't tell you why it did what it does. The code associated with the back to menu is a place to start.

Do you have a 'rate me' function supposedly starting or some other social function (eg facebook) when the game is goes back to the menu?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 21:53
Well, after a few attempts I got Lee's war/MyFreeInstaller method to work (directory issues) and now when I resume the game from being paused the browser opens to
xn--bda/
or
xn--9ca/
Whenever I bring up my pause menu and resume the game.
It doesn't launch the browser with a blank page anymore though.

At this point I'm not willing to invest time in trying to get the VS method to work. I'm going to just package it up as an EXE installer which is apparently acceptable to AppUp since last June. If the issue persists with that then I'm not sure what to do as the EXE built with the compiler works jsut fine

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 21:56
The pause menu function simply stops all animations, waits for the user to select "resume" or "exit to menu" and then resumes animations and increments timers to adjust for the pause.
There's no command to call anything outside of the program anywhere in the program. It is extremely weird.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 22:02
It's the "exit to menu" function that appears to trigger the browser. What does the code for that look like?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 22:04
Mine opens the browser on "n%27". This is in Windows 7 64bit and it opens in Chrome (my default browser).

Weird. Hopefully mr_d will spot this thread but if not I'll notify him.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 22:14 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2013 22:15
I've rebuilt it using my current alpha from 1089.
It works perfectly fine using MiniMSIMaker or War Setup.
All I can say is that my PC must be on crack...
I don't think mr_d can do anything for it.
It must be on my end somewhere. Though it is super odd...
Thanks for trying to help guys!

At least I can say I understand how to use the two methods pretty well now, though I'm pretty sure I'll stick with MiniMSIMaker as it is super super easy.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 22:55
So you got the problem to go away? Is that correct?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 03:11
That's correct all is well now. Still a really odd issue. Thanks again!

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 04:24
sorry I came late to the party, but good to hear that you sorted it out.
It does look like something strange is happening on your computer as I could not see why this would happen with a built MSI file using my app - it almost looks like your game instructions have been corrupted somehow or that the program instruction pointer has overflowed to some area it was not supposed to go...

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 04:31
Yeah it's absolutely not your tool's issue. Thanks for chiming in though... it is quite the strange issue I hope to not be able to duplicate!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 22:48:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 22:48:40