Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 1089 Game Center Commands

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've run into a couple of issues while testing out the Game Center commands in Tier 1.

First, if the user decides to cancel the initial Login to Game Center, any subsquent calls to GameCenterSetup() and GameCenterLogin() do absolutely nothing. So if they cancel the first time, that's it, no second chances to log in unless they kill the app and restart it from the task manager.

Secondly - No matter what leaderboard ID I pass into GameCenterShowLeaderBoard(szBoardID), it always shows the default leaderboard.

Anyone else tried the Game Center commands out yet?
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATE: I was testing on one of my devices with a version of iOS 5 installed (it was either 5 or 5.1, I don't know which it was).

I updated to the latest iOS 6 and the log in problems disappeared. So while there's no problem with the latest iOS, backward compatibility could cause some issues for anyone that cancels the initial log in to Game Center.

The leaderboard issues remain, no matter what ID is called with GameCenterShowLeaderBoard(), only the default leaderboard comes up.
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't seem to find a solution to the default leaderboard showing up every time.

Paul perhaps you have some insight or a solution to this?

I have a number of different leaderboards. They are part of a group which may share scores between apps in the future. The naming convention for the id's is grp.LeaderBoardName

The grp. is enforced as mandatory by apple for leaderboards that are part of a group.

When I call the AppGameKit command I'm using GameCenterShowLeaderBoard("grp.LeaderBoardName") where LeaderBoardName is changed to the proper leaderboard ID name depending on which leaderboard I want to show.

No matter which ID I put in there, the default leaderboard always comes up. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 15:43
I haven't used groups before so I will have to experiment to find out the correct way of doing things. Have you tried LeaderBoardName without the grp?
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe I tried the leaderboard id with and without the grp. as well as the reference names, and the display names.

Just to be sure I'll go through all of them again to make sure I didn't miss anything, but it seems to me the leaderboard ID should be the right one. Not sure why it only brings up the default.

I won't be able to get to that until later this evening, but I'll try every string I can find in the iTunes control panel
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, so I tried every iteration of leaderboard name and ID again, and it's still a no go, the default leaderboard always comes up.

Maybe there's a property that must be included for leaderboards that are part of a group which isn't in the AppGameKit command?

I'm going to try taking my app out of the group and see if I can get the desired behavior with single leaderboards.
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Update: It appears this may not have been a problem with groups afterall.

I've removed my app from the group and created single leaderboards only. However no matter which leaderboardID I call only the default leaderboard comes up.

Paul could you check to see if the leaderboardID for the GameCenterShowLeaderBoard(szLeaderBoardID) command is being passed to Game Center by AppGameKit correctly so we know if I'm crazy or not?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2013 01:17
You are correct, there was a bug in the show leader board command that wasn't passing the name correctly. It will be fixed in beta 11.
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You are correct, there was a bug in the show leader board command that wasn't passing the name correctly. It will be fixed in beta 11. "

Excellent!....Thanks Paul

What kind of a window are we looking at for the release of beta 11?
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
I've compiled my app using 108 Beta 11 and it does in fact now call up the requested leaderboard.

However, sometimes it calls up the default leaderboard no matter which one I'm calling, with only the name "Leaderboard" instead of it's proper name.

It seems to call up the default board at random, with no real discernible pattern to it, so that's confusing. If I just open and close Game Center repeatedly, it will just randomly throw in a call to the default leaderboard, with just the generic name "Leaderboard".

Very strange indeed, but is it AppGameKit or Game Center?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:42:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:42:24