Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2013 10:55 Edited at: 10th Apr 2013 10:56
I'm making a sequel to my Water app from last year. The goal is to collect water droplets, and you can paint onto the puzzle to erect barriers, or erase portions of the level to carve a path for water to flow through.

I've been working on this for about 2-3 weeks now.

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2013 16:54
Pretty cool. Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2013 18:41
I like it, always been a fan of these games.

I've experimented with this stuff before, one thing that I found that can look cool is if you adjust the water particle colour depending on how much it moves. So if you made the fastest moving particles brighter, it can make the water look like it's foaming - when it drips through a small gap, it looks like bubbles are forming from it. Also making static water fade the transparency a bit can look cool as well. Anyway, just a thought - looks like a fun game already and adding a little sparkle shouldn't cost much performance.

Ohh, another one - if you keep the backdrop as a memblock image, and use that to set the water colour, like sample a random point on the backdrop around the particle, you can have a nice refraction effect that would look awesome with your graphics style.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2013 16:41
Nice ideas Van B.

Cool looking game, with some polish it would be top grade. Like vertical lemmings

My hovercraft is full of eels
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2013 18:30
Pretty cool game. But just one question, why does it say HD when it has 8-bit graphics?

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2013 09:40
Looks cool I like Van's suggestions. Would be nice if the water particles stopped moving when they can't get anywhere. But I guess that's a bug you already intend to fix.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 04:30
Ahahah funny game, i like the idea!!!!

Long life to Steve!
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 10:24
Quote: "Pretty cool game. But just one question, why does it say HD when it has 8-bit graphics?"

It's HD because it's designed for Retina graphics

Quote: "I've experimented with this stuff before, one thing that I found that can look cool is if you adjust the water particle colour depending on how much it moves. So if you made the fastest moving particles brighter, it can make the water look like it's foaming - when it drips through a small gap, it looks like bubbles are forming from it. Also making static water fade the transparency a bit can look cool as well. Anyway, just a thought - looks like a fun game already and adding a little sparkle shouldn't cost much performance."

I'll look into it. I think what I might do is randomize the color that get's displayed, like shift it 1-2% difference in each RGB category so that it slightly varies each frame

Quote: "Cool looking game, with some polish it would be top grade. Like vertical lemmings "

Thanks! I'm taking a break from developing it right now, working on other projects. Though the game is mostly done already, just polish and shoeshine. And more levels

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 20:47:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 20:47:53