Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Remote debugging control system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 03:01 Edited at: 17th Apr 2013 03:16
What is the "remote debugging control system" in AppGameKit, and how does one use it?

The most obvious clue to it's existance is in the help file for the "Break()" command, at:
"IDE\Help\Reference\Core\Break.htm"

The documentation page tells you this:
"Forces a breakpoint at the current line. If the Remote Debugger is running and network communication is not obstructed the application will pause at the line the break command was inserted, handing control over to the remote debugger. "

So, what's the "Break()" command, and how does one use it? What is it supposed to work with, and how.

Does it relate to TIER 1, TIER 2, or both?

All of the following files in 108.11 mention this debugging system in one way or another:
- IDE\apps\interpreter\interpreter.cpp
- IDE\apps\interpreter\interpreter.h
- IDE\apps\interpreter_blackberry\src\interpreter.cpp
- IDE\apps\interpreter_blackberry\src\interpreter.h
- IDE\common\include\Wrapper.h
- IDE\Help\Reference\Core\Break.htm

Based on the above, it looks to be associated with TIER 1 only.. So, is this remote debugger something that is still under development, or .. actually usable?

An authoritative answer would be appreciated... Paul?

Cheers,
AgentSam
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 04:21
One remote debugger that I can think about is Eclipse connected via USB and debugging an app started by it on an Android device.

It might work with Tier 2, but I don't know about Tier 1 (since that is basically just an interpreter and it won't know what your original code was).

You can also use Xcode to debug Tier 2 when the app is started from Xcode on a connected device or as a Mac app.

But I've not seen anything about a built-in remote debugger for Tier 1.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 02:06 Edited at: 18th Apr 2013 02:07
Those commands were added for a future debugger to use, but I don't know how complete they are. I've never used them myself.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 09:34
Yes, these are Lee's legacy commands. A debugger is planned so when Paul is on to that things will become clearer.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 10:49:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 10:49:03