Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Acquire image commands are buggy and non-functional on Android (Beta 11)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 00:21 Edited at: 18th Apr 2013 00:22
Has anyone used the acquire image commands on Android? I've been testing on Beta 11 and the commands do not work at all or, at best, are very slow on Android devices. This includes both ShowChooseImageScreen() and ShowImageCaptureScreen().

I have tested on three different Android devices, importing an image from the photo library and acquiring an image from the camera.

HTC Galaxy S (2.3.x): An image ID is successfully captured (10001) when the user chooses or takes a photo, but the returned image is empty and has dimensions of 0x0 to 0x2 (when imported or captured via camera). If you apply it to a sprite nothing is displayed.

LG Optimus (2.3.x): Loading an image from the library will eventually work successfully. Capturing an image from the camera returns a 0x0 to 0x2 empty image as described before. After selecting an image from the library, a solid black screen appears for an extended period of time (20-30 seconds if loading a 2048x1536).

HP TouchPad (4.x): Same results as HTC Galaxy S.

In all cases, loading an image or acquiring one from the camera (when successful) results in an extended period where the screen is completely black as if it has frozen. This can last 30-60 seconds or longer depending on the size of the image. There is no way to display a loading screen or anything during this process, that I have found. Not an acceptable delay for modern apps to acquire images.

I currently have one app on the market that makes use of these commands; these features are unlockable via IAP. It isn't good if users who pay to upgrade cannot use this functionality due to the bugs described previously.

I was waiting for AGK's "Hide It Find It" to be released on Android since that relies heavily on image capture, so that I could see how it performed, but alas that app is still only on iOS (after nearly three months of waiting). I have written about the sluggishness and freezing issues before but now I can't even capture on most devices.

Below is the simple code snippet to try this on your own devices:

Get Image From Library

Get Image From Camera

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 17:40
I just noticed in your bug report that you were testing using a Player.

Have you tested running directly on your Android device?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 17:56
Hi,

We have just run into this too. Paul is working on it.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 18:12
Fixed for next beta
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 18:28
Can you guys also pay a little attention to these two bugs (one is newish, but the problem old and the other has been around a long time):
Issue 536
Issue 449

Both of them (especially in combination) are a real pain for people using Tier 1.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 19:40
Quote: "Can you guys also pay a little attention to these two bugs"

Not for 108, but I do want to tackle compiler bugs in 109.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 20:23
Really!? These have been issues from at least v1076.

Since I've gone over to Tier 2 (and won't look back for my own projects), this doesn't affect me. But it sure affects the Tier 1 programmers.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 00:25
Quote: "Since I've gone over to Tier 2 (and won't look back for my own projects), this doesn't affect me. But it sure affects the Tier 1 programmers."

Definitely these and other issues (EditBox for example) must be fixed for 1.08. It has no sense to release a stable version with these bugs still there. I think that it is ok to have stopped adding new features, but now you have to fix the remaining issues. I continue to be convinced that Tier-1 is the key for AppGameKit success.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Fixed for next beta"

Thank you!
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 12:54 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2013 12:56
Since we've already purchased AppGameKit and will get updates for free, this doesn't really impact us significantly as we can wait for 1.09; however, I have to say that I have to agree with Ancient Lady and MarcoBruti in that if 1.08 is expected to be the next release version (that was previously mentioned to revert back to the full price of $99 or thereabouts) for new users, then all (or a significant number) of all previously reported bugs should be solved (with a freeze on any new features until 1.09+).
personally, I know I wouldn't want to purchase something that had known bugs that have pretty significant impact.
that's my 2c anyway...

Paul: you seem to have made great strides with bug squishing and updates since you took over the development of AppGameKit - so much so, that maybe we are all expecting you to work miracles

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 09:51:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 09:51:15