Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Can't broadcast project to iphone

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 03:37
I've broadcasted a sample project before, so I know the app on my iphone 4S works. But my own program won't work. It'll run ok on my computer but when I broadcast it, the phone just sits forever waiting for the stream.

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 04:23
What version of AppGameKit are you broadcasting from?

And where did you get your iPhone Player? Did you build one yourself (if so, what version of AppGameKit was used)? Or are you actually using the Viewer from the App Store? (There is no iOS Player in the App Store.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 20:25
107, I just installed it recently. I'm using the AppGameKit Viewer from the app store.

I can stream Snake Snacker example, but my own game won't. I attached my project.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 21:52
The Viewer is totally not useful for testing anything.

I downloaded your project just to get an idea of the scope of it. And I broadcast it an iOS Player (v10811) and it worked fine.

And I tested it against the current iOS Viewer (installed just for this test only). And it worked fine when I clicked on the gold gear with red arrow (for broadcast and run).

I do not plan on looking through the code and hope I have not set a bad precedent in downloading your project. (I have avoided doing that before because I don't want to encourage anyone to try to get me to debug their entire project.)

Does your project work when broadcast to an Android device running the correct Player?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 22:02 Edited at: 18th Apr 2013 22:03
That's fine, I didn't really need the code debugged.

I don't have any android devices. And you're confusing me with player and viewer. You're saying TGC's AppGameKit Viewer in the app store is not an iOS player? What do you mean by player?

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The AppGameKit Viewer was TGC's answer to Apple blocking them from publishing the Player to the app store. It basically streams the screen from your computer to the device, making it pretty much worthless for testing actual functionality of the app on the device.

The AppGameKit Player copies the actual app to the device and runs it through the device itself via the AppGameKit interpreter/player, just as it would if you were to release it (Tier 1). But due to Apple's restrictions you must build it manually in Xcode and have to have an Apple developer license.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 22:23
xCept beat me to it.

The Viewer is NOT the same as a Player.

By the way, the app is pretty cool. But it should have some sort of startup page and not go straight into the game.

Phaelax, unless you plan to publish only in Windows, you will need to get at least an Android device for testing on that platform.

If you want to publish for iOS, you will need a real iOS device to test (the iPod Touch works nicely as a fake iPhone, I have one). And you will also need a Mac device to create the actual iOS app in Xcode and an Apple's iOS Developer's License (which costs $99/year). Or know someone with those devices willing to let you use them for testing and production.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 22:24 Edited at: 18th Apr 2013 22:25
Or you could use the AGK Player service, for testing at least...

Edit: missed the part about not having an actual device. I would be willing to compile and test on iPad, iPod touch and a couple of Android devices if you like by the way.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 04:12
That clears things up better. I'm not sure I plan to ever publish anything at this point, I'm more just playing around and seeing what I can do with it all.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 17:40
Well, have fun.

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply