Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [wip] AirStrike Unleashed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 12:05 Edited at: 14th May 2013 03:18
[UPDATED to v0.02]
[CHANGES]
added basic mission capability
added gui options for Medals and Upgrades
4 aircraft (Bi-Plane, Jet, Helicopter, B52 bomber)
Stupid ai
ability to unlock items (although they come all unlocked in this version)
3 gameplay modes (more to come)
powerups
Stickers:
--->Stickers will be the 'currency'
--->you can pick them up
--->instead of items costing a certain amount of cash, you need a combination of stickers to get it
--->stickers can be traded for other, harder to find, stickers (5 cherry for 1 pineapple [NOT IMPLEMENTED YET]
fixed Missiles/bombs regularly hitting the player (still happens occasionally)
:::::
the plan is for certain things to be purchased with real cash (planes, gameplay modes)
and others to be unlocked with stickers (power ups, new background pictures, new skins for you plane, missile deflector, weapons upgrades, etc)
The main reason for missions is really just a 'taste and see' of the things that can be unlocked/purchased. There is also the benefit of having them play the game more to get to the end.
:::::
Here's my next project, please comment.
There's still heaps to be done.

controls:
Use the right joystick to control
enter: fire Missile/Bomb
Shift: guns

(to be published for Android)

[some of the] Features planned:
In-app purchases
Multiplayer
Medals/Achievements
Power-ups
Different game play modes
different difficulty settings
Missions/Campaign

[note: most of the graphics used in this app are just for testing and are copyrighted, downloaded graphics, please do not distribute them]
[warning! This app regularly crash's, because of it's extensive use of arrays, I know about this and am trying to fix the problem, it may have to wait until TGC implements a debugger] FIXED! but attachment still not updated
[attached in 7zip format]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 14:30
That's pretty damn cool

I did keep getting killed by my own missiles, but won eventually using the jet.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 09:52
I won a few times, once I figured out how to use the missile without killing myself. Maybe it'd be easier on the phone, but using my mouse to control the virtual joystick was a real pain. Very hard to control.

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 10:13
Quote: " Maybe it'd be easier on the phone"

actually, it's really difficult to do on a phone
mainly because I forgot that GetPointerX isn't Multi-touch, I'm working on it though, and it'll be better soon, I'll upload an APK when it's working better

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 06:18
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2013 10:02
I've attached an APK of Airstrike.

/:HELP:/! My control system is flawed! what can I do to improve it?
sliding your finger around the joystick doesn't work very well on a touch screen, especially as you have to move it quite fast.

I'm think perhaps having the plane fly to where you finger is on the screen, or perhaps a tap on the righthand side make your plane fly up (relative to itself) and a tap on the lefthand side makes the plane fly down.
while I think this would probably be the best way, I can't think of a way for the user to decide it it's got thrust or not?????

warning, this app uses around 260Mb's of RAM! I'll definitely need to do something about this in the final release.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2013 10:49
I think that the problem with touch and go controls, is that the camera doesn't follow the plane - so you ultimately end up with your plane under your finger and probably half the screen is them hidden behind your hand.

I think touch and go would work better if the camera was centered on the plane, so you'd touch around the plane to fly in that direction.

If you can't scroll the screen, then maybe there's another control method that would work well.

For instance, why not rotate the plane rather than turning it towards the direction - like the left hand side of the screen might be like a scroll wheel, and the plane rotates according to the player dragging up and down. then on the other side of the screen you have the fire button. Would be pretty cool to have inertia in it too - like sliding fast then lifting your finger leaves the plane spinning, then you tap to stop it - maybe a little like that old arcade game Super Sprint, where you have a free turning wheel that you spin then stop to drift around corners. One advantage with this control method is that it's a lot of fun, easy to do loops and flip direction.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 03:25
Ok, thanks for the ideas, expanding that, what do you think about having it the same as remote control car controls (to joysticks limited to x|y axis's one for thrust, one for turning) this would allow plenty of fun inertia. the main problem I see with that is you really have to be able to shoot and fly at the same time.....

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 10:12
That would be good, but as you say your still stuck for a fire button. I wonder if it would work to have the fire button as part of the left/right controls - so you move left and right to rotate, but if you push that stick up as well, you still turn left and right but fire as well. Might take a bit of getting used to that one. Another option... a bit mad, but what about shaking the device to fire - people could pretend they're piloting a plane firing MG's, might even make there own sound effects.

Perhaps you need to make a version with a few different control modes, and see which ones people like.
It's never easy, trying to fit all those controls onto a tablet game and it's impossible to please everybody - seriously, one player will hate the controls and one player will like the controls - all you can really do is try and add options to shut them both up .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:17:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:17:24