Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New keyboard routine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 01:12
Hey all. Made this for myself, but thought that someone somewhere might get some use out of it, so here it is.

Basically, it's a new keyboard for no reason other than I wanted more control over the android one that it allowed.

Feel free to use/alter as you see fit, but if you do something nifty with it, remember to upload the changes here!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2013 21:55
Finally got around to actually putting the keyboard routine into my own project. You can see the comparison in the two video's below. The first shows the standard AppGameKit keyboard routine (about ten seconds in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OFi05ylXi4

The second below shows the new one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcr7znqnUDs

I prefer the key clicks to be audible, and of course this should work with all touch screens, and allows other things to run in the background while the input is collected (like my very badly animated trees!)

Not a bad evenings work. Lol.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2013 22:29
That is cool!

And it certainly helps fix a lot of potential keyboard problems.

I'll definitely have to look at the code. Tier 1 or Tier 2?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2013 23:13
Thank you very much, I take that as very high praise indeed from someone of your standing.

It's tier 1 I'm afraid, I'm not quite clever enough to code in tier 2. Lol. It should get rid of almost all keyboard problems though if adapted, including the hardware back button issue I was having. It also lifts the restriction on character sets completely. I do have one adaptation to make though, and that's maximum input length before the string needs to scroll and not run right off the side of the screen.....!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2013 23:40
I will see if I can come up with a good Tier 2 version.

One of the gotchas in Tier 2 is that you can't do something in a loop that looks for user input (touches, etc) and use the Sync() command to wait for them. In Tier 2, the user input stuff is checked at the start or end of the app::Loop() method and it has caused some interesting programming bits.

I will let you know if I get a Tier 2 version working.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 20:29:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 20:29:30