Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Game Icon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 08:37
Im sure this has been asked before but I'm just not seeing it. Where might we change the game/apps icon when ready for production?

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 3rd May 2013 09:24 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 09:27
t1 or t2? and Windows or other (Android iOS or MacOS)
I don't know about t2 because I'm a t1 user. But in t1 for Windows, I'm not sure that it's possible. The alternative is to use a program like Resource Hacker and manually change the exe icon, but I'm not sure about the legality's with this, you also need about 10 different icon resolutions

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 09:24 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 09:26
edit: [that's strange, it double posted on me!]

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 09:40
for windows you can make a link with your own icon (with a setup tool).
for android its Android Manifest.xml Application Icon Dialog in Eclipse Editor.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2013 16:52 Edited at: 3rd May 2013 16:59
For Android, you put the correct size images in the correct directories, like this:
<andproj>/res/drawable/icon.png - 64x64
<andproj>/res/drawable-hdpi/icon.png - 72x72
<andproj>/res/drawable-ldpi/icon.png - 32x32
<andproj>/res/drawable-mdpi/icon.png - 48x48
<andproj>/res/drawable-xhdpi/icon.png - 96x96

The directories with '-<x>dpi' are to accommodate devices of different display densities.

For iOS Xcode, first you create a set of icon images with the following sizes (png files) and put them in the project directory:
57x57, 114x114, 72x72 and 144x144

Then you use the Xcode interface to select the correct one for the App Icons under the Summary tab for the project TARGET.

For Mac Xcode, you create an icon.icns file which contains all of the icons for everything it needs. Another AppGameKit developer created a great tool for taking one large artwork image (of the size you will need to submit to Apple) and creating the required icon.icns file. The App is called 'ICNS Icon Creator' and is well worth the money spent on it.

For Windows, I don't know how to do it for Tier 1. I won't mention the Tier 2 version unless someone asks (it involves the the resource.h and <projname>.rc files).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 08:05
Thanks all for the information. I should have been more forthright with what I was asking, but never the less you all answered it regardless. I appreciate that very much. I did stumble upon the Android method though, all wonderful info none the less. I tried several methods of changing the windows icon and was unsuccessful.

We are using T1 for App productions (no games) we chose to do it with AppGameKit simply due to rapid deployment and AppGameKit did very nice for a young language. We will be announcing the apps in the next week or so. One of them is already on Google's Play Store and we are about to put up another one before we begin the Market push. Just a note for anyone who's reading that can make a difference. It would be nice to access the GUI features of the Android and iOS which would truly make this language shine to alot of folks.

To that end, I still find it hard to believe we cant change the Windows icon? Did TGC not expect anyone to build Windows games with AppGameKit in T1? Maybe so....just seems a little weird that Windows is the odd man out.

Thanks for your time!

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 19:10
There should be a way to do it in Windows Tier 1.

Can one of the AppGameKit programmers weigh in on this please?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2013 06:59
I think that AppGameKit simply copies a pre-compiled binary and renames it, to have AppGameKit set the icon would mean compiling the AppGameKit Player as well, which would increase compile times. The method I mentioned using Resource Hacker will work fine until TGC get's this sorted out, but as I said, you need a bunch of different icon sizes

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2013 15:27
You cannot change the windows icon from within AGK. You'll have to use a third party icon editor tool.

I recommend the free IcoFX Portable. (Specifically the portable version, as the none portable version is not free)

I live for video games! (And beers, and football, and cars!)
See what I live for here: [url]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/url]
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 05:55
I'll check out IcoFX Portable. I used Resource Hacker on my last project and it's pretty dull.

gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2013 06:26
Yea I grabbed it as well, although I feel like there should be a better venue for this in the future.

http://www.sgmediasoft.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 02:43:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 02:43:18