Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Placement Editor code?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

I have two questions.

Is Placement Editor made in AppGameKit T1?

Is possible to have the placement editor code?

I would like to use other resoltuion (a resolution for my notebook) and use fullscreen. Furthermore, I would like to include an option of croping. I know that I can build a new editor... but Placement Editor is very good.

Thanks!
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2013 01:19 Edited at: 21st May 2013 17:22
The Placement Editor included with AppGameKit certainly looks and feels like it was made with AGK. It has the same icon and folder structure.

So, it is very likely that the answer to your first question is: YES, it was made with AGK.

On a side note, as far as I can tell, the Placement Editor binary has never been updated since AppGameKit 1076 (or possibly earlier). So.. it has propably been made with a very early version of AGK.

I think there have been a few previous questions about the Placement Editor source, which have gone largely unanswered, just like your question.

However.... in my opinion, the Placement Editor included with AppGameKit is utterly horrible! (In fact, it is such crap that it should not be included with a product like AppGameKit at all! It is just completely substandard!) Not only is it badly designed and lacking several important features, but it's also severely buggy. There are cases when you can build and save a "world" with it, but you cannot even load that savefile to modify it further (so, under some specific conditions, it fails to load it's own savefiles).

I wish I had kept my savefile when I discovered this bug, but I didn't keep it, and I have very quickly (and a long time ago) came to the conclusion that the Placement Editor just doesn't meet my requirements - and built my own editor tools.

Also, there is a community project that has aimed at creating an enhanced version of the Placement Editor, from scratch. You'll find it here:
Placement Editor Professional by David Hynd (aka Clonkex).
(This one has the full AppGameKit TIER1 source code included.)

Cheers,
AgentSam
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2013 04:57 Edited at: 21st May 2013 05:02
I came in here expecting to have to promote my own PEP but you've done it for me It's cool because it shows other people actually knows it exists

@AgentSam:
You might want to edit your post and say Clonkex rather than David Hynd, so people realise it's me. Alternatively, you could add "aka Clonkex" on the end.

Quote: "However.... in my opinion, the Placement Editor included with AppGameKit is utterly horrible! (In fact, it is such crap that it should not be included with a product like AppGameKit at all! It is just completely substandard!) Not only is it badly designed and lacking several important features, but it's also severely buggy. There are cases when you can build and save a "world" with it, but you cannot even load that savefile to modify it further (so, under some specific conditions, it fails to load it's own savefiles)."

I totally agree with you, and indeed that's exactly why PEP exists in the first place, as I'm sure you already know

In case people think I've forgotten, I haven't. I know PEP isn't quite finished and I know I have half an update waiting on my computer for me to finish but I usually just don't have time. Maybe tonight I'll work more on it, although in all likelihood I'll be too tired when I get home from cadets at midnight.

Clonkex

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 15:34:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 15:34:19