Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Multiplayer Game Coding Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 08:27
I need a large helping assistance from the community here. I know very little of programming, but I would love to learn how to do the following { I need code examples of this and or descriptions of how to make it work please.} :
1.) Multi Character Choice page
2.) Multi player MySQL Database setup/build
3.) Multiple Terrains, Maps building
4.) Single player / MultiPlayer Option Start Screen
a.)Single player
b.) Lan
c.) Internet
** This is just minor start point. I hope this might also help other when this topic s complete. **

Some times logic is a conclusion of the illogical ITems
sweldon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 08:29
How to create 3d object with programable joints and hit point marker for damage count?
How to slowly build 3d building, and or terrain?

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 18:15
Quote: "This is just minor start point."

youre asking for a good portion of a game engine, all that together is hardly minor and no one is likely to just give you such extensive amounts of code.

Quote: "I know very little of programming"

without a solid foundation of knowledge, even if someone did give you the code, you would likely have difficulty implementing it.

i would advise you to scale back abit, break this downinto smaller components, pick one component and get that working before taking on the next. make an attempt yourself, if you get stuck on something specific, ask and people are more likely/able to help than with something as broad as your initial request.

for multiplayer, the multisync plugin is free and comes with excellent examples, it isnt difficult to get a lan connection going with thei nfo provided.

for the database, there are a few plugins floating around for this, mostly sqlite3 i think. its a good place to start.

Shazam!
sweldon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 23:13 Edited at: 11th May 2013 23:16
Quote: "for multiplayer, the multisync plugin is free and comes with excellent examples, it isnt difficult to get a lan connection going with thei nfo provided. "

Where do i download plugin ?

Quote: "for the database, there are a few plugins floating around for this, mostly sqlite3 i think. its a good place to start."

Where would i find the plugin for such?

This is project demo od DBPro 7.7 but am having problems understanding it . It is not like Borland Turbo C++......I seem not to able to point it to my Db of MySQL off my server to play with it, but it seems to be locked on a internal setting some where.

Quote: "smaller components, pick one component"

Quote: "DBR = DBConnect("Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Dbq=DBConn.mdb;Uid=Admin;Pwd=;")
` if connection succeeded"

when i change this line c/command statement i have very little sucess of connecting to a non-local server... So I hope pick this smaller portion is better to ask about

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2013 03:06
I've been writing something similar to what you're trying to do for about 10 months (and while it has come a decent bit it is far from finished yet). As a half-time school project. Believe me, it takes time, especially if you have to figure out lots of the things you need as you're writing your engine.

I hate to say it but if you are relatively new to programming you might indeed want to make some smaller projects first, just to learn your way around things. Having to go back to remake a large portion of your code because you realised how to do it much better and that your pieced together solution will not hold under sub-standard loads is not something you want to experience more than you absolutely have to.
Still don't let the general "anti-mmo" talk hold you back too much, it is possible, at least if you cut back on your thought up requirements a bit. Call it a multiplayer online game. Build it in a scaleable way and if you're lucky enough, perhaps it will be possible to add in that extra M later on. Granted you didn't say anything about an MMO, but the genre you're describing seems a bit similar to that and that's usually what people expect and like to jump at when reading topics like this.

Like Ortu says, if you really want to do this you should start with breaking it down into pieces. Make a terrain system first for example, in a stand-alone way (using OOP so you can structure this using classes helps a long way with this by the way). Then consider how your 3D objects need to be represented, build classes (or types if you want to stay with DBP, but the extended possibilites of C++ really helps, especially if you want to use databases as well so I would recommend using DarkGDK for this instead.

My project uses DarkNet/MikeNet, which is a paid product but the license is cheap enough to afford (around $50 or so I believe) for internet transfers and the exact same functions for database communication that you seem to be using there, although I use SQL Server rather than Access. I would recommend you to do the same, Access is not very nice to work with...
Also, you really want to keep the database local to the machine running the server, or you will end up with terrible latencies. Of course you could use asynchronous transactions but that is a hassle to keep track of when what was received where etc. too.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2013 09:48
i dont have the exact links off hand, but they can be found on the dll board, along with alot of other really great tools

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=18

Shazam!
sweldon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2013 20:03
Thank you . This information is highly valuable for me to receive.

sweldon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2013 05:57
Quote: "i don't have the exact links off hand, but they can be found on the dll board, along with alot of other really great tools

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=18"

in here i found a DBPro guide. It has and is helping me understand DBPro..
Here is exact link for it :

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=137027&b=7

In here I have realized I understand this a bit more than I thought . It is very similar to Borland Turbo C++ as example code below :

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:14:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:14:42