Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGK 2.0RC4 - Not a Problem!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2013 03:40 Edited at: 18th May 2013 03:44
!One of the few non complaints!

Just coding up a bit for some 3d planet and space sim action. I am looking for a idea on how big should models be in contrast?

I am working on the concept of a space flight sim in the traditions of Elite, X-beyond the frontier, and want to add multiplayer ability - there is nothing like endangering the galaxy with friends. I am looking at what would be a good model size, when effects are added (such as particles flying off, representing sparks, or hits). Any sudgestions? Whats the going model in sizes?

30 x 30 x 30 cube = a fighter sized crafy, just trying to put some things into prospective.

There are many answers but just one question" ~ Jerilith the Mad

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
How large is your play area? I am making a space sim using solar system sizes. If you are only using small areas, then you won't have to do anything special. If you want to do something like what I am, then you will run into problems.

My scale is 1 unit is 1 meter and that seems like a good scale....

The fastest code is the code never written.
Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2013 20:33
I was looking at using a large scale for planets and stars, mostly for realitve background size, then have specific areas where the game would load details (action areas). So a huge playfield - think of a larger map. I want to keep the larger items loaded (for proper background refrence). Or I will just do the smaller play field with background images. Still working how to do it.

Worked out most of the gui basic issues, so its almost time to actualy start code the the mechanics of the game, got few models to play with.

Thanks for the reply

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a little experience doing a HUGE scale space sim. I ran into a few problems and here are the solutions I came up with:
-need to be able to control render order of objects
-I'm not sure how, but I've been told you can take direct control of D3D in GDK.
-The reason you need direct control is that the further away objects get from the camera, the less D3D (and GDK) can distinguish depth differences. This will cause something known as Z-Fighting even when the two objects are at very different ranges. For instance, a planet has a moon that is being half-way obscured by the planet. You will at different times see the moon in front and other times the moon behind.

-you need a coordinate system (and the math that goes with it) that can handle the vast expanse of space.
-the problem with normal float precision is that when you start using VERY large or VERY small numbers, the floats can't decide what the actual value is.
-this is discussed in the game design forum: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199820&b=19
-I can provide an upload of what I have if you wish.

The fastest code is the code never written.
Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 07:23
Thanks for the ideas. Been a while since I had a chance to work on the game. Back to messing with the AppGameKit right now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 11:06:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 11:06:18