Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Playing with Ndo2

Author
User Banned
Posted: 19th May 2013 16:25
A friend of mine introduced me to a really cool photoshop plugin software called Ndo2 and I thought I would give it a go, after playing around for 20 mins I decided that I needed a mini project to try this out.
Ndo2 allows you to modify / create normal and specular maps etc and see the result almost real tine within photoshop without the need to save and switch programs.

A demo can be found here: Quixel

I did this in around 2 hours start to finish and that included me fumbling with the interface and generally cocking about with some of the effects.

The AO, normal and specular map where all generated within this handy little plug in.

Portfolio
My Blog
Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 28th May 2013 22:14
Finally got my new build up and running properly now. had a few crashes during this model but fortunately nothing was lost. I still cant get my 3d model imported but I have marmoset which works really well. Still a work in progress but the beginnings of something.

Portfolio
My Blog
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 08:57
the arch feels a little too rough and noisy. You might play around with the contrast in the diffuse and tone down the normals a bit.

the first piece (sarcophagus? bench?) looks fantastic though.

Shazam!
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 17:44

Still playing

Portfolio
My Blog
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 13:16
Looks realy nice, the head may be a bit to big though
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 14:14 Edited at: 16th Jun 2013 14:15
That's got to be the best wood texture I have seen. It has the wear, and sweat grease of the hand in it.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 15:39 Edited at: 16th Jun 2013 15:43
Looking good, you should try playing around with the specular map if you're looking to improve it further. The wood right now doesn't look very believable because of the glossiness of it, giving it proper specular map information would make a world of difference.

Hello, I am Seb.
Tutorial YT Channel
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 15:45
Yeah the head of the hammer is a little large but it needs to be so it can be seen in game. Sometimes you have to push some details so that they can been seen, this is going into a Diablo style game.

Anyway, had an hour to spare so I knocked up a sword.

Portfolio
My Blog
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 04:14
try scaling out the pommel some, will give some visual balance on that end against the massive blade and adds to the sillhoutte

Shazam!
CyberGamer
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Great models Frap I will have to check out ndo2.

Thanks

Orig Join Date Sat Sep 21st 2002
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 00:09
Your normal/bump and diffuse work is incredible, but the lack of proper gloss and spec information completely kills the material definition. I would check out Racer445's tutorials on materials, he works wonders. On the sword you just posted, a cavity map would also make a nice impact on the script on the blade. Keep playing with the different maps, the only way to get better with them is to experiment like you are. If you want a quick hack for wood specular maps, try simply inverting the diffuse and adding a tint or so of blue. That can yield some good results with little effort. I've always been a fan of your vehicles, would be quite a pleasure to see what you can cook up for those with ndo.

Available for freelance work, hard surface 3d artist and current generation game artist. Contact me through email.
Frap
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 11:14 Edited at: 25th Jul 2013 11:22
Thanks for you critique, I tried the quick hack on the hammer (see below) thanks for that tip.
I admit I do struggle with the specular at times as the results can be affected by many different elements such as lights etc. I also do not render and use Marmoset to display mt model as this saves me so much time which unfortunately does not allow me to use certain maps, a concession I accept.

I would love to go all out on one of my vehicles and had planned to do this on my last tank, but unfortunately whilst upgrading my machine it got left on a hard drive which I cannot plug in to this machine. I will do one in the near future but due to work commitments and other projects I am involved in means at the moment I do not have the time. Also whilst getting to grips with this new piece of software the simpler the model the more I can can learn quickly with out getting bogged down.

Some models for a project I have been working on which I also used NDO2 on

Portfolio
My Blog

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 07:55:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 07:55:01