Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / First Android app ran successfully but not the second one.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I built an Android app following the instructions in YouTube "Building an Android App with App Game Kit" and it ran successfully in my Nexus 7 tablet. I made some minor changes to my game code (I only modified the SetDisplayAspect and SetOrientationAllowed) and repeated the same process to build it again, but this time, when I run the game in my Nexus 7, I only get a screen with the AppGameKit logo and a message saying "Stand by. To exit a running app simply press the top of the screen for 5 seconds."
Of course, I tested such modifications in my Windows PC and they worked just fine.

I will very much appreciate any comments.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2013 20:06
I am guessing that you are working in Tier 1 (based on the message you see).

1. What version of AppGameKit are you using?
2. Are you reusing the Android project that worked or did you create a new one?
3. When you changed your code and rebuilt it in the AppGameKit IDE, did you copy it to the <andproj>/assets/media directory and rename it to bytecode.byc?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your response.
Yes, I am using Tier 1 Basic.

1. AppGameKit Version 1065. I used this same version the first time too.
2. I started from Section 1.8 of the video (Copying the interpreter). I supppose this means that I created a new project because I deleted everything in Eclipse and imported the new version of my game.
3. I copied to <andproj>/assets not to <andproj>/assets/media. This is what I did the first time and it worked (although your question makes me doubt). I also renamed the myproyect.byc file to bytecode.byc.

Regards.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 04:31
Why are you still with v1065? Blackberry, maybe?

I haven't watched the video recently. I set my Android up based on the original guide from the help pages.

The byte code file absolutely must be in <andproj>/assets/media. That is probably the reason your project isn't working.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
I copied all of the files in my project´s media folder to the <andproj>/assests folder, which includes images too. Should I copy my project´s media folder (all of the content) to <andproj>/assets/media and not only the byte code file?

By the way, where is the "original guide" to setup a project for Android?

Best regards.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 17:43
The original guide is part of the help pages.

Everything except AGKSplash.png goes into <andproj>/assets/media. Otherwise your app won't see them. Unless you change the current folder using the SetFolder command (which I don't recommend).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
My issue was fixed copying the media folder inside the assets folder as you suggested. However, three buttons do not show the graphic (they still work fine) although they are included in the media folder. Such buttons show only the graphic when they are pressed, but not when I release them.
I will very much appreciate any comment.

Regards,
Jorge Maldonado
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2013 04:49
Did you make sure that the names used in your code are exactly the same as the actual file names (and case really does count in Android)?

That is the most common problem with getting Android to work.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2013 04:54
Make sure all your media files have the same capitalization as in your code. It's case sensitive on the Android so it has to match exactly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 20:46:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 20:46:22