Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit 108 Beta 12

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 02:08 Edited at: 23rd May 2013 02:22
Beta 12 is now available for download. Hopefully this will be the last beta, but I've been hoping that for a while now!

Changelog
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 02:35
Thx Paul, i will test it on the next app i will release in two weeks.
Downloading it now.
Ah, give a look to the method i used to avoid rejection from Apple on the Wireless Keyboard, maybe you can found a better way.
This was the last app rejection (with my surprise) i had.
After 50+ apps i never seen a reviewer that use a wireless keyboard to test apps. Bha!

Long life to Steve!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Will we finally have access to the Mac AppGameKit Player through windows?

swis
Interstellar
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 03:48
Awesome! I will postpone going to sleep and test this right now!

Cheers!
AgentSam
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 04:23
Thank you. I see that I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 04:33 Edited at: 23rd May 2013 04:35
Amm...

[TIER1 BUG] AppGameKit 108.11 - Declaring and initializing a global variable no longer works

This still doesn't work... I guess Paul didn't quite get the faster compiler in, after all... Sort of disappointing.

But I'm going to keep my mouth shut for awhile.
Have to let Paul get some rest too, I think.
And get some rest myself too. I'll be back to complain later. X)

Cheers,
AgentSam
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 04:53 Edited at: 23rd May 2013 05:22
That's what I get for having two copies of the compiler floating around, the build script copied to wrong one into the installer. I've removed the beta and I'll build a new one so when it reappears in your download list it'll be the fixed version.

Edit: The new download is now up
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Wonderful! I may not be able to test it until this weekend but am looking forward to it. Didn't expect there to be so many bug fixes

Thanks as always for your hard work.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 09:37 Edited at: 23rd May 2013 11:25
thanks, beta 12 is much better

get a compiler error "could not understand Command" with german umlauts but no problem
//Übergroße Level
using now
//Ue
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 10:34
Glad to see the latest beta. Unfortunately having tested it, the crash on Windows 8 fullscreen still exists . Any chance that this will get fixed before the final release?

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 12:35 Edited at: 23rd May 2013 13:17
How long till the Beta 12 player is available for download from the store? (Or anywhere? lol) I've just tested 3 projects compiled with Beta 12 and none of them worked with the Beta 11 Player

>Edit<

I am of course referring to the Android player, in case of any confusion

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 13:08
Hi Prof,

Paul is currently in dream mode (it was long stint for him yesterday). He'll up and around in the afternoon and I'll ask him about this.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lots of bugs fixed there.
Great work Paul, keep up this rhythm we all you
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 14:19
I like the mention of Ouya in there

Great work Paul!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 21:50
Alot better compile time
Iam happy so far.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 22:09 Edited at: 23rd May 2013 22:09
Mostly successful:
-create iOS Player - good
-test iOS template - good
-test iOS WIP - good
-test Mac Player - good
-test Mac template - good
-test Mac WIP - good
-create Android Player - good (after much fiddling)
-test Android template - good
-test Android Prebuilt - failed
-test Android WIP - good
-test Windows template - good
-test Windows WIP - almost good: compiles fine in both debug and release; executes fine in both debug and release; exits fine in debug build, but crashes when exiting in release build (I had same problem in v10811)

And, so far, each bug from v10811 that I have tested has been fixed.

So, all in all, pretty good.

Thank you and great job.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 22:11
I am a version control freak. So, in addition to using version control for all of my own projects, I'm always interested in seeing a more detailed view of what has changed between AppGameKit releases.

For that purpose, I first took a look at the new documentation (Help).

Everything that I had hoped for (and posted about earlier) was fixed.

Very well done, Paul!

For anyone whose interested in the comparison results, check them out here:
http://www.codefield.com/agk/108.12.beta/diff_108.11/Docs/

This page will show a folder comparison of the "IDE/Help" folders between 108.11 (left) and 108.12 (right).

The red files are those with differences. They are also links, which will open a detailed "File Compare".
(Use the back button on your browser to get back to the folder comparison results.)
The blue files are completely new, and there's no link for them, since they do not contain any "differences". They're just new.

There are a few noteworthy changes in the docs:
- As stated in the release notes, the Android API changed from 9 to 10.
- The Facebook commands seem to be mostly incomplete. Most of them are still labeled as "not currently supported".
- The description of "SetFolder" is much better now. (Thanks to Phealax).
- Each of the "WriteByte", "WriteFloat", "WriteInteger", "WriteString" now have a note that they are not ment for human readable files.
- SetEditBoxCursorWidth has an important note added.
- The Index file clearly shows all the new additions (which include a few omissions in the previous version).

Now moving on code testing... Which Ancient Lady is already fast at work with, I notice. =)

Cheers,
AgentSam
sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 22:24
When I re-compile my old project this message appears...
See attachment...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 23:19
Quote: "When I re-compile my old project this message appears...
See attachment... "

So you are gearman.

This is the windows ultrabook positioning and simply press wathever you want.

Ultrabooks have gps like ipad and other new mobiles.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2013 23:36
Paul,

There's an orphaned file in the 108.12 Help files.

It's the "Space.htm", which you fixed by copying it to "Spaces.htm" and changed one letter in the function description. X)

Spaces.htm is correctly linked in the Core.htm, you just forgot to delete that old copy.

Cheers,
AgentSam
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 00:09
Quote: "
-create Android Player - good (after much fiddling)
-test Android Prebuilt - failed
"

Can you describe what happened when you tried these? I've not had any trouble with them myself.

Quote: "but crashes when exiting in release build"

I haven't seen this, I'm guessing you are using VS2010? If you attach a debugger after the crash is there anything to suggest what might have caused it?

Quote: "Spaces.htm is correctly linked in the Core.htm, you just forgot to delete that old copy."

Thanks, deleted.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 00:55
Just as a follow up on my earlier post and for anyone else who's been getting the Windows 8 crash, I sent the error log over to Paul who correctly identified the problem as being with the graphics card drivers that shipped with the prototype Ultrabooks so if you're getting this issue, you just need to go into the device manager and update the drivers and it should be fine. Not an AppGameKit problem after all! My mistake!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 01:23
Paul, I will try to get the logcat output for the Android precompiled that crashes. But I vaguely remember it saying something about a magic number not being correct for several files.

As for the VS2010 issue, it only occurs in the release configuration, which is not debuggable (at least I don't think it is). I am betting it is not an AppGameKit issue but a coding issue on my part. And that the debug version quietly ignores it while the release version hangs and crashes.

I will work on both of these issues tomorrow.

I had to do some deleting and copying in the Android interpreter directory before it worked. But it worked fine once I did. I think mostly it was a matter of deleting the stuff in the bin directory and rebuilding (and copying the x86 directories from the template to the right places).

Overall, I am entirely satisfied with being able to compile what I need where (Tier 2 on all platforms).

Thank you again for all your work.

I will also try testing some of the other things that were bugs and report any issues that pop up (and I don't think there will be any).

I am particularly pleased with the EditBox fixes. I also like that you now do the editing in iOS directly in the EditBox and it doesn't pop up the auxiliary one anymore.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 02:02
Paul,

Here's another thing I noticed while doing version comparisons...

Why is the "IDE\Help\corekeywordlinks.txt" file no longer included in AppGameKit 108.12?
(In fact, it was last seen in AppGameKit 107.6.)

It is the file that the AppGameKit IDE uses to provide context-sensitive help for AppGameKit keywords from inside the IDE.
Without this file the IDE will do nothing when a keyword is selected and F1 is pressed.

Just reporting this for the benefit of those who would like to use the IDE.
I don't really see a reason why this file would no longer be included, since it's killing the language help in the IDE.
Also, the quick fix is, obviously, to just copy the file from AppGameKit 107.6 and place it into the same location at your 108.12 install.

Cheers,
AgentSam
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 03:44
I'm not sure what corekeywordlinks.txt was for, but the context sensitive help file should be keywordlinks.txt which does appear to be there
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 03:50 Edited at: 24th May 2013 05:02
Paul,

Agh.. I don't believe it that you didn't understand it from my previous explanation.

The "corekeywordlinks.txt" provides the linkage to the "core language keywords".. like "if", "while", "case", "exit".

Try in the IDE making something like...

while 1
sync()
endwhile

then put your cursor on "sync" and press F1.. You get the help right? Yes, it's reading the doc link from keywordlinks.txt

Now, put the cursor on "while" and press F1, you get nothing.. because the "corekeywordlinks.txt" is missing.

Edit: Fixed a few typos, I was writing in "mad mode".

Cheers,
AgentSam
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 05:39
I wasn't the original programmer for the IDE so I wasn't aware we had that feature. I've now tracked down the missing file and added it back in.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
It makes more sense to simply merge the contents of corekeywordlinks.txt into keywordlinks.txt so there's only one file needing to be maintained to provide all context-sensitive F1 help. I just experimented with this without having the original file and it seems to work fine (i.e., adding 'Gosub|language\22_gosub.htm|Gosub' to the keywordlinks.txt will then enable F1 over Gosub).
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Added OUYA key codes 102-107 to the android interpreter (untested)"

What does this actually mean in terms of Ouya support? Just as an added note, according to the Ouya website there are currently only 126 Ouya games, so it seems like it would be a good market to get into.

(Counter in the top right: http://www.ouya.tv/ )

Sean

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 10:54
I installed the new beta, what's with it asking for a default location now?

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 15:56 Edited at: 24th May 2013 16:06
xCept wrote:
Quote: "It makes more sense to simply merge the contents of corekeywordlinks.txt into keywordlinks.txt so there's only one file needing to be maintained to provide all context-sensitive F1 help."

A few further notes on the separation between "corekeywordlinks.txt" and "keywordlinks.txt", for your consideration.

I find it useful that they are divided between language keywords, and functions. Because:

When I convert these files from the Code::Blocks keywordlink format for use as a part of my syntax highlighting rules in EditPlus, having the language keywords separate allows me to put the language keywords in a separate section of the syntax highlighting file, and the function highlighting in another section. This allows both types of keywords to be highlighted independantly (using different color, etc).

Otherwise, I would have to clump them all together - or I would first have to preprocess the suggested "one single keywordlinks.txt file" to separate the language keywords and functions, if I wanted to be able to have different syntax highlighting for each.

So, it actually is really helpful to have them separated.

Cheers,
AgentSam
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 16:57
Quote: "what's with it asking for a default location now?"

If you mean that it is asking where to install it, that is pretty common.

And I use that 'feature' to have multiple versions of AppGameKit installed (1076, 1082-1084, 1088-10812).

If your question is not about that, where/when do you get the question you are referring to?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 17:38
Excellent work Paul (and whoever else, if anyone, is helping you).
That is quite a list of improvements.
Are you able to share any expected time frame for the stable release?
It can be very general, I just would like to know if it is more than 3 months.

Also are you able to share any planned major enhancements? One of the things I'm hoping for is notifications for Android using GCM. Do I need to put in an enhancement request for that? Is there a cut off date for bugs and enhancements that you're looking at (at least for low priorities)?

I'm also wondering: There are a ton of enhancement requests pending. It would be awesome if we were all able to vote on these in some way. I know we had the survey a while back, but it didn't talk about too many specifics. I'd be very willing to put money behind some of the enhancements like GCM.

Again thanks to you and everyone on the AppGameKit team for working so hard on this project!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 17:51
@Phaelax & AL
The default location appears when you try to run an AGK10812 app.
Windows asks you to set up your location if you've not done so in the OS. Seems a little weird and would be nice if this only occurs with apps that use location settings. Minor inconvenience to the user, however, it would make me suspicious if the app doesn't actually need location info.
See the below screenshots:

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 17:53 Edited at: 24th May 2013 17:55
Quote: "So, it actually is really helpful to have them separated."

Also the keywordlinks.txt is auto generated when building whilst corekeywordlinks.txt isn't, so that is the main reason they are separated.

Quote: "Are you able to share any expected time frame for the stable release?"

I don't know an exact time, there are a few areas I want to focus on but it depends if we release them one at a time or wait for them all to come together and release a bigger 109 update. But I would expect at least a few months for the next big update.

Quote: "One of the things I'm hoping for is notifications for Android using GCM"

This is supported now, I added a help file in Guides->Misc->Android Push Notifications to explain how it is set up.

Quote: "default location"

That looks like a result of getting the location data for the Ultrabook commands, I'll see if I can move that into the actual location command so it doesn't popup until the command is called.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 17:55
Thanks for answering. And we really have GCM????
You just made me SOOOO happy!
TY TY TY TY TY TY TY

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 19:58
So I'm a bit dead in the water with building the interpreters.
2 major issues:
1) facebooksdk.jar is not in the ide/apps/facebook/bin directory. I copied it over from AGK10811 and no more complaints however...
2) There are no generated java files in the project and thus R.java is missing. Projects that already have the generated files are getting them destroyed.

It looks like the generated java files are getting dumped from the project even in my 10811 projects now, so it is something to do with what I've installed from Android SDK or when I ran update for Eclipse after getting Android API 10.

Looks like I'm going to have to dump Eclipse and reinstall. Would love to know where I went wrong before I do so though because I sure don't want to do the same thing again!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 20:14
Try looking in the 'Android Project and Product Name AND Fix the "Missing Class R" errors:' section of the AGK Wiki Templates page to see if it helps resolve the R.java issues.

It also might be necessary to delete everything in the interpreter_android/bin directory and rebuild the project before importing it into Eclipse.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 20:31
Started from complete scratch with a 10811 project... first error is that facebooksdk.jar is missing (which doesn't appear to be in the 10811 facebook/bin folder anyway)... then no generated java files and thus missing R...
All of the errors are in the Facebook SDK package in Eclipse and NOT in the src files for the interpreter package, like it used to be.
Again no generated java files...

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 20:32
Paul, I finally got around to my tests (expecting company, so some house cleaning was in order).

Mysteriously, when I started Eclipse up and connected to two Android devices (Samsung Galaxy S III and Nexus 7) and ran the interpreter_android_prebuilt, it worked just fine. Including the http username/password test that was in the bytecode.byc file.

When I copied the apk to my Toshiba 7" Thrive, it ran, but did not authenticate and got an html/apache error (which indicates good connection, anyway).

The Nexus has Android 4.2.2. The Samsung has Android 4.1.1. The Toshiba has Android 4.0.4.

As for my WIP crashing upon exiting. That disappeared when I rebuilt the app (in Release mode) AND deleted all the files written to the Documents\AGK\ directory for my WIP. And the previously working v1076 Release version now crashes upon exit. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but the issue has cleared up.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 20:48
Thanks Paul, good work!

My hovercraft is full of eels
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 21:48
Compile times - WOW!

I'd forgotten what it's like

Previous Betas allowed me to make a cuppa while the project compiled.

Now with B12, I'm so thirsty

Seriously though, it's a great improvement
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 00:01 Edited at: 25th May 2013 00:34
UPDATE - got things working again. Apparently I've done something where I need to add android-support-v4.jar to my app package in Eclipse. It needs to be added as an external library. Same thing was happening with 10811 interpreter files, so it's not 10812, but it has something to do with something I did to Eclipse, somehow

EDIT: And holy crap... can't even tell that the AppGameKit IDE is compiling now! It happens so fast!

EDIT 2: Stuff's not working again. I can install an APK from Eclipse using ADM, but the app behaves poorly and even made the phone crash... I can not export to an APK and constantly get the following lovely error: Conversion to Davlik format failed with error 1. I've tried all sorts of things to fix this and I give up. I have a feeling it is all related and I don't know what to do.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 01:13
Quote: "error: Conversion to Davlik format failed with error 1"

Clean the project, delete everything in the bin folder, refresh the project and try building it again. I had this once and that fixed it.

Quote: "When I copied the apk to my Toshiba 7" Thrive, it ran, but did not authenticate"

The authentication code doesn't rely on any OS calls, it's a compiled third party library so I would expect it to work on all versions. Is it possible the app was installed over an existing version and it didn't overwrite all the files?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 01:31
Thanks, but that didn't work either.
One thing that I notice that I don't remember seeing before is there is a branch for Android 3.2, Android Private Libraries, and Android Dependencies in both the app's package and the Facebook SDK package in Eclipse. I've been fighting with Eclipse for about 6 hours now and I'm burned out. Ready to nuke the whole thing.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Naphier, if you disable automatic building, then do a clean before exporting, do you still get that error? Once I disabled automatic building I never received that error again.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 02:01
Did you clean the facebook project as well? And as xCept suggests disable auto building, I turned that off a while back.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 02:02 Edited at: 25th May 2013 02:36
Thank you xCept, that appears to have worked!
My app still misbehaves (text doesn't show in edit boxes when typing) but I'll give 10812 another try and see if that clears up too. Tomorrow...

EDIT:
Paul - yes I cleaned both. Thanks.

EDIT 2:
OK couldn't wait until tomorrow. Got 10812 to compile an APK just fine. My chat client is being a bugger now though. I'm using SendHTTPRequestASync() in my program and when the server is offline the program now freezes up. Only on Android. Windows everything works fine server on or off. I've also modified my program to only handle one connection at a time since before multiple SendHTTPRequestASync() calls were bogging it down in windows. THis is happening on Android 4.2 and 2.3. Should I put in a report?
Is anyone else using SendHTTPRequestASync()? I call it about every 5 seconds, and check for a response every 0.5 seconds afterwards. On Android 4.2 the app responds after about 30 seconds, but in 2.3 it freezes and the OS asks to force close.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
The new AppGameKit Player on Android crashes exactly every other time I attempt to start it

swis
Interstellar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2013 22:51
For the first few times, I thought I was running a previously compiled version of my code. It is instantaneous that I can't even tell! Awesome!

On a side note, can we please get a setTextDefaultSize() command?

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 15:10:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 15:10:55