Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2013 23:18 Edited at: 19th Jun 2013 16:01
Kingdom is something I've been working on for a few weeks (off and on). I liked the idea of making a game where you can build castles, fight dragons / monsters, go on quests and basically build up your own 'kingdom'.

DEMO V1.0.1 - 19th June 2013

A number of features I'd like to add are:
Castle building - I'd like this to be quite flexible and organic. I want the player to be able to build their castle how they want to, a turret here, a tower their etc. I want it to feel really natural and fun. Also castles need to be destroyable...

NPC's - These will come to your Kingdom as you build and make it more attractive. The safer you make your Kingdom the more people will flock to it. The more NPC's you have the more resources will be gathered and more items will become available. NPC's will occasionally be campaign characters.

Campaign Characters - These characters will join your "King" for quests etc and can be selected / deselected from your team. Wizards, Knights, Archers etc.

Creatures - Horses, Tigers, Dragons and many more creatures will roam the land. Some can be ridden or used in battle if tamed.

Quests - Some will be found in the land as you wander around, some will come and find you.

I'm not sure how far I'll get with this one but I'm very pleased with what I have so far. My trees and grass all blow in the wind (I'm very pleased with the general style of the environment) and soon I'll be adding Castle Building to the game which is a major feature. It might get complicated...

Edit: The sky is actually a 3D skybox made using my "EnviroScope" tool (Oilified in GIMP). It was a really simple way of making the sky. I just rotate the camera a little to give the parallax effect

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2013 23:35
Sounds like a cool project, and I like the art style so far
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2013 23:39
Sounds awesome bax
But wath happened to your space game ?

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2013 23:43 Edited at: 28th May 2013 23:54
Quote: "But wath happened to your space game ?"

It was pretty impractical with the current command set to do what I wanted. This game is actually "possible"

Here is the video I mentioned earlier. The game looks much better running fullscreen:

Edit: If anyone's interested attached is the treemaker I'm using. I've disabled spritesheet export, sorry The trees are made procedurally and use physics joints to get a nice simulation of the tree blowing in the wind.

Attachments

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 00:15
That looks really good bax! Well done! I look forward to seeing this project evolve.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 00:16
Way cool looking!

I do love the trees.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
This is awesome! Great parallax effects and graphics. (I secretly had hoped you would've continued the tank battle game
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 05:13
Wow man!!!
I like the trees and i like the style and the name !!!

So are you using 3D???
On which device?

Go baxslash go!!!

Long life to Steve!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 09:56 Edited at: 19th Jun 2013 16:10
Thanks everyone

Quote: "So are you using 3D????
On which device?"

I'm only using 3D for the skybox at the moment. I can easily make different skybox skies using my own tool for different weather / times of day.

I am also only targeting Windows at the moment but aiming to keep speed as high as possible so it might work on tablets/ phones later. I want to push 2d to the limits though and make a really attractive game so it is likely to be too much for most phones and tablets (current tech anyway).

I did something subtle with the trees and grass last night, just by shading them randomly from half black to light it makes it appear as though I am using far more variety in the trees than I am (only four sprite sheets at the moment). I will be adding more tree types to my tree maker soon but for now I have the general look I'm going for so it's on with castle building next...

Edit: Demo V1.0.1 added here

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 10:41
Looks great - especially those trees. Just goes to show what can be done with physics joints. Will the player have to chop these trees down? - can just imagine disabling the first joint, tree starts to tip over, then squashes some poor peasant

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 29th May 2013 11:56
very nice, are you moving the environment or the view port?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 12:12
Quote: "Looks great - especially those trees. Just goes to show what can be done with physics joints. Will the player have to chop these trees down? - can just imagine disabling the first joint, tree starts to tip over, then squashes some poor peasant"

The trees are spritesheets at the moment. When I used full on physics trees the fps dropped to below 30fps, I could have culled trees that are offscreen but it would get ridiculous. My idea is to use a spritesheet for each tree and then turn it into a physics tree if it gets damaged by fire or chopped down. Right now it's not a high priority but it is possible. The nice thing about the tree system is that the movement is gained from just rotating the main "trunk" sprite slightly. I'll be adding Pines next (after I've added some other features).

Quote: "very nice, are you moving the environment or the view port?"

Thanks, I'm moving the view offset. It's far easier than moving every object in the scene in my opinion. Also I will be using a certain amount of physics in the game (like when castles are damaged) so it kind of has to be done this way. The skybox is a static 3D object and I rotate the 3D camera to suit the view offset in 2D.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 14:19
Ahhh, I didn't notice the repetition at all, even now I know that there's only 4 different tree's it's hard to spot

Sounds like a good plan, to have performance friendly objects, that only break down to individual physics objects when they need to... so like a brick wall might break down to individual bricks if hit by a canon.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 15:00 Edited at: 29th May 2013 17:14
Quote: "so like a brick wall might break down to individual bricks if hit by a canon."

Exactly my thinking

Edit: Just did some tests and I get a steady 60fps no problem on the iPad

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 20:30
Hey baxslash, this looks great! I'll be very interested to see what you come up with for creative castle building. And the trees are very polished .

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 09:56 Edited at: 30th May 2013 09:57
Looks nice, baxslash!

I was wondering how you managed the terrain that the player is running on, would be great if you could give some insight!
(It's okay if you don't want to give away too many details about your work.)

Did you make something like a very fine tilemap made up of many very small sprites? Maybe something similar to voxels (with culling maybe)? Is it one giant image?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 10:47
There are up to about 30 sprites per "slope". One physics sprite the player walks on, one triangular black background sprite, on long rectangular black background sprite under the triangle and up to 24 "rock" sprites shaded out as they get further from the surface.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 10:53
I'm gonna guess, and say it's an image - but it could be a memblock image as well.

I have a test project that creates 2D planets, with hills and lakes and stuff like that through a memblock, then I wrap a Box2D polygon shape around it for the ground, at a strong physics force, and you have a planet you can orbit around, drive around, whatever. It's pretty cool - I'm guessing/hoping that Baxslash has a similar technique in mind. It might be tricky to do things like the blades of grass, but hell - with a memblock image, you could make that grass grow, plant crops and have them actually grow, have the terrain deform when hit by cannonballs, lots of lemmings and worms style features really.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 12:19
Now you have me re-considering... I was considering turning the individual sprites into larger images but I was planning on doing that later. A memblock would be a better alternative.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 13:22
Yeah, I think it makes sense - maybe have a 1D heightmap for the whole length of your game world, and split the images up into 512 pix wide segments - then if the heightmap changes, you can change the image and recalculate the collision polygon without too much slowdown. My planets are 1024x1024, and it is probably a bit too slow to update an image very often - probably fine for explosions. Having a smaller images would mean better performance when making changes of course.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 13:47
I might not be dealing with deformation of the landscape to be honest. It's not really necessary but I would like plants and crops to grow / get damaged etc.

I'm not sure it's the right direction for this game. I want it to be more of an rpg than a strategy game. I will make it possible to build up but the ground will be where it all starts I think.

I do like the idea of using memblocks too, that might simplify a lot of the world creation and increase the speed the game runs at. This would allow me to use more effects in the game to make it really stand out.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 13:58
Yeah, deformations could get really complicated, I guess it depends on the gameplay. But consider how awesome it would be to dig a pit and put spikes on the bottom, add a moat at each side of the castle, have any attacking forces needing to build a bridge to get across... or even just level out the ground for plants. Just a thought, I'm imagining a sorta sandbox game, which might be completely off what you have planned.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 14:01
That's very tempting... I like the sound of that. Damn you VanB you have to come along with a really great idea and make my life difficult!

I mean thanks

It's not really how I wanted to go but maybe it would be worth considering for a while before I move on.

RichardH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 01:56
This has such an epic feel even though hes just running. Can't wait to see more!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 23:57 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 23:57
I now have a full day cycle, even though there aren't that many objects in the scene yet I still get a really decent framerate.

Scene objects are only lit when close and the stars start to become visible as night draws in.

Attachments

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 00:08
That looks realy cool. You have realy managed to get some good graphics going there. Is the light calculated per object or per "pixel". Judging from the trees, im guessing the latter
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 08:46
Actually it's per object, the trees may need to be calculated per pixel but it works fine for now. I am also considering turning the whole scene 3d using transparent planes but that would require a massive rewrite.

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 12:44 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 12:47
Such an amazing effort! I really like the idea of a day-night cycle... you can do some amazing stuff with the way only silhouettes are visible during the night. When I first bought AppGameKit, I tried to learn it's command-set by creating a game like the Amiga classic Blade Warrior. (which I consequently stopped, since I'm incredibly bad at creating graphics). Looks like your game can look the part effortlesly. Will the castle-building be implemented in the same manner? (e.g. displayed like a sideway-scroller?)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 13:05 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 13:06
Quote: "Will the castle-building be implemented in the same manner? (e.g. displayed like a sideway-scroller?)"

Yes, I have a basic working version but it's too easy to make a messy looking castle. I have a plan for a better system that I will be working on. I'll show you what I mean:

The castle on the left took about 3 seconds to build and the one on the right took about a minute. I want to be able to build one like the one on the right in 3 seconds

Blade Warrior looks awesome

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 14:25
Ohh, looking cool

I just wanted to mention an idea I had for lighting trees...

Unfortunately it involves having 2 extra sprites, and 2 extra sprite sheets for each tree, but it would look cool and might be an option.

Anyway, for each sprite sheet, you'd make a copy, and adjust the alpha colour of each pixel to suit a linear fade, from the bottom corners to the opposite top corner - so fading from the bottom right to the top left, and again from the bottom left to the top right. So you'd have a standard tree image, and 2 linear fade versions. If you add 2 sprites and use those new fade images instead of the standard, well it should look as it is fully lit. But - you'd work out the light value at the bottom left and right of the tree, and set the standard sprite colour to that darkness. Then, the 2 sprites with the linear fades can be set to the difference. Like if the light on the left side is 20, and on the right it's 200 - you'd set the standard sprite to RGB(20,20,20) and the alpha on the linear fade (right) sprite to RGBA(255,255,255,180). So standard would be at 20, plus the linear fade would add another 0 to 180, making the right hand side 200, and the left side 20. You could even colour the sprites for different light sources, like maybe orange on one side near a torch or a fire, and blue moonlight on the other side. If your rendering the tree's, maybe even have the linear fades as part of the render, have each linear fade actually lit from the relevant side for maximum effect.

Anyway, just a thought.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 14:53 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 14:54
Van B, that's a great idea. I've been trying to think of a nice simple way of lighting trees that is realistic and I think that would suit it nicely. Unfortunately I might need four extra sprites per tree depending on how my lighting system works.

I will be working on a full "lighting" system soon. Ideally I would like to be able to position lights anywhere with any range and adjust the colour of all scene objects based on ambient and point lights in range. I think that using the system I have at the moment I can get that working but I'm starting to push it in terms of speed. I haven't even got any other characters in play yet!

Maybe I should get the lighting system working before I move on...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 19:14
Here is an early demo. Not much to do yet but I thought I'd see what people think of it so far, I don't think the images or video really do it justice personally.

DEMO V1.0.0

lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 19:18
Downloading. I like it a lot

My hovercraft is full of eels
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 22:38 Edited at: 4th Jun 2013 22:38
Working on adding the first enemy. Ogres:

Attachments

Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2013 10:20
Hey Bax - this is awesome, looking really good so far! Like others I'm looking forward to see this develop.

What version of AppGameKit is this written in? Some interesting files in the Data directory (bg.dll, game.enc, music.dll, setup.dll), no Media folder, byc file or setup.agc and an interesting launcher.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2013 10:43
Just tried it, very pretty, great potential for this game.

A little unrealistic that it had me out and about at 4:30 in the morning, that would never happen, I'm much too lazy

Look forward to the castle building.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2013 11:34
Quote: "What version of AppGameKit is this written in? Some interesting files in the Data directory (bg.dll, game.enc, music.dll, setup.dll), no Media folder, byc file or setup.agc and an interesting launcher. "

It's just packaged using Vishnu Packer which is free! It adds about 10Mb to the size of the game but it protects your assets from simply being taken from the media folder...

Quote: "A little unrealistic that it had me out and about at 4:30 in the morning, that would never happen, I'm much too lazy"

Ha! I wish I could say the same but I have a 15 month old

Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2013 12:55
Quote: "It's just packaged using Vishnu Packer which is free! It adds about 10Mb to the size of the game but it protects your assets from simply being taken from the media folder..."

I didn't know about this nice little utility - I shall check it out... Ta!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2013 00:57 Edited at: 6th Jun 2013 01:02
89 ogres with no slow-down whatsoever. They will follow and attack if you get within range. The main character now has 2 attack animations and a crouch/defend pose too next I'll be adding death sequences.

Edit: Stress test, fps does actually drop to around 130 if they are all onscreen at once but it is highly unlikely there will ever be that many enemies onscreen at once. When they are all in the scene but only a few are onscreen I get a steady 240fps which is about what I got before adding them.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 13:46 Edited at: 5th Sep 2013 16:16
The main character can now kill ogres and be killed by them

Now I have the basic health and battle system in place I can start work on the lighting system.

I am now adding a system that will allow me to place dynamic point and area lights anywhere in the scene so that (for example) I can place torches / fire and perhaps magical effects anywhere in the scene and the scene will be lit by it taking ambient light into account. So far in tests I have found that the time taken to calculate this does not impact on speed much at all and it will massively improve the look of the game as it progresses...

Hodgey will be joining me on this project and has started looking at improving the menu already

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Attachments

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 14:51
Sounds like good progress baxslash! So can you give any more info on what kind of a combat mechanic you're going for? I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with dynamic lighting! It's already looking pretty impressive graphically but it's great to see you're pushing the boundaries and really polishing it. Good to hear you're teaming up with Hodgey too. Looks like it's going to become a pretty big project so I'm sure having more hands will lighten the work and all that.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 19:18 Edited at: 13th Jun 2013 23:24
Hi Lucas! Combat will be very simple but your team will help you out when I add that part in. I was keen to get some help and Hodgey was happy to help out so I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with

Attachments

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 09:15
played the demo , liked it alot!
cant wait for the next demo or release.

whats your time goal?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 10:36 Edited at: 16th Jun 2013 00:29
Thanks haliop, no time goal as such I just really want to finish this one

Attachments

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 16:22
Bax ! this WIP rocks i tried it and it's technically impressive (there is not a lot of things to see for the moment but for what i can see,it is very well executed !) (and your animation system seems to works very well !).

Keep up the good work !
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 18:01 Edited at: 18th Jun 2013 17:22
Thanks MikeMax

I really want this game to stand out visually. The animation system editor still has a few annoying glitches like not being able to select objects that are behind other objects but other than that I'm really pleased with the results. Had a great breakthrough with the lighting system, once it's optimised it should be really handy for adding effects and make dungeons really atmospheric for battles especially when there are wizards and dragons involved...

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 00:48 Edited at: 9th Jun 2013 00:50
I now have the lighting system working fully and have added torches which flicker and can be picked up by the player. I just need to position torches that have been picked up a little better before posting a screenie but they can be grabbed (using the E key).

I am also using a corona effect that really helps fade the trees in better as well as adding a little more realism to the lighting...

I can have any number of light sources in the "world" with no slowdown noticeable at all. I am only updating sprites that are onscreen and only using light sources that are also onscreen and within range. It seems to work really well

Attachments

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 01:46
Looks realy cool, can't wait to see what tis turns into...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 11:06 Edited at: 9th Jun 2013 11:06
Looks great bax.
i nead to download the demo and test this at one Point soon.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 01:39
Ohh! Look what you did while I was away! Lovely game baxslash!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:05:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:05:54