Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Final clarified position on the state of lights?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2013 21:49
Just so as I know not to keep trying to get lights to work properly, I would like to have the following clarifed: (as of 1088)

1) it is not possible to use just pointlights in a scene (must always have a directional light of some sort?)

2) It is not possible to have a directional light of 0,0,0 (no ambient light), allowing you to light a scene with point lights only

3) It is not possible to have more than 1 point light

4) If the above are true, are they going to be fixed/addressed in the final 108 / 109 release?

lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 12:22 Edited at: 30th May 2013 13:53
1) If you load your own shader, this is possible. If you want I'll give you a shader that does just this

2) This is possible, directional light at 0,0,0 will not show

3) Not with the built in shader, but with your own. No biggy really

4) Search me mate!

Edit: I'm setting up a test-program with some of the shaders I've made, I will post this here when it's finished

Edit 2: Attached

My hovercraft is full of eels

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2013 22:02
Nice one. You've definately been working ahead in this area

1) Lovely - will give that a go. I still haven't got an answer about shader compatibility - i.e. what is the min. vertex and pixel shader required (or is this down to the commands used in the shader?)

2) Tried it - didn't work. I found you mentioned this in another thread and I couldn't wait to try it...

3) I have shied away from shaders, hoping that a library would appear at some point which I could use as a reference

lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 00:01 Edited at: 31st May 2013 00:10
2) Well, try it in the program I attached to my last post. Set the directional light to 0,0,0 and compile it, then start it and click until the shader says Default AppGameKit and let me know what isn't working. Is 0,0,0 giving light you mean?

You can check the shaders I sent with the program, they're in the "shaders" folder.

3) Agreed, it would be easier if they added more pointlights to the language, since there is quite a bit of data your would have to push to the shader yourself for each light you add.

Edit:

Ok, back to issue no. 2:

I compared my shader with no directional light to default shader with directional light set to 0,0,0 and the default shader does give some brightness from this. So:

Correct answer:

2) No. Just load my shader which is attached in post #2 of this thread

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 00:21
Tried the point light - great stuff. Exactly as I would have expected the default point light to behave

Of course, I need at least 2 more point lights

Also, it reminds me that there is of course no shadows.. so I think the more I get, the more I don't have..

lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2013 00:27
I've always worried about the performance of more point lights so I haven't tried it. And shadows.. pwah, talk about performance issues

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:14:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:14:34