Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Testing on an Android 2.3.3 device...almost works

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2013 00:18
I found a refurbished Philips GoGear Connect 3.2 with Android 2.3.3, cheap.

So I bought it.

And once it was charged up enough to run, and after I was able to change the language from something Nordic to English, I installed the v10812 Player.

The Player runs fine and works with stuff broadcast from my PC.

Cool!

Then I tried my WIP.

The v10812 version installed without complaint but crashed with the 'application ... has stopped stopped unexpectedly' message without anything displaying at all.

I happened to have a working v1076 apk and installed that. While some of the text was tiny, the app worked perfectly.

Now, it is not impossible that my v10812 apk was corrupted. I would be suspicious of the facebook stuff if the Player hadn't worked okay.

I'll work on it more tomorrow.

But now I have the minimum Android platform to test on.

(I had also bought an Android 3.2 device from eBay. But the delivered tablet had been upgraded to 4.0.7. Totally useless!)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2013 21:28
You should be able to flash the ROM to downgrade it if you want. Even multiple boot.

I had similar issues with dFenz after going from 1076 to the betas. If I recall correctly it had to do with arrays. I hope you find the issue!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2013 22:13 Edited at: 1st Jun 2013 22:41
I've already packaged the other tablet. But thank you for the suggestion.

It's entirely possible that there was a bug in my code. I discovered this morning that my Windows version wasn't compiling.

I'll know more when I get back to my 'work' computer later.

EDIT: I just tried to run the v10812 apk on a device that had been working and it failed.

I think the main difference was in using a different ndk (crystax) which allowed me to use std::map. When I repointed to the google ndk and rebuilt, it ran fine on my old tablet and the new Android 2.3.3.

So, the lesson learned is to stick with the original Google Android-NDK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 05:43
Indeed, I'd stick with the standard NDK. AppGameKit is just too temperamental to tempt!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 05:57
I was hoping to be able to use hash maps for some things. But that requires C++11 which is not supported by the standard google supplied android ndk and the crystax version does support it.

But, clearly there is some incompatibility with the AppGameKit libraries and the crystax android ndk.

Too bad.

But it is cool to see that v10812 stuff does run on an Android 2.3.3 device as advertised. And interesting testing something with an actual resolution smaller than my target resolution. It still works pretty good. Just some of the smaller text is harder to read.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 22:17:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 22:17:43