Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / I don't know if I want to put a terrain editor in my sprite engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 01:03 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 01:04
Ok i did the math.
if I want to make a terrain editor I would have to save a text obj file then load it back up to replace the old terrain.

that would be way to big because if i had 999 vertexes for how wide a map is and the hieght is 1000 vertexes then I would have to save 999000 different points for the vertexes.

that does not include loading the vt or the vertex normals which is other 999000 to read and write the obj file.

then I would have to read and write the normals which is another 999000

then I would have to read and write each face.

here is an example of a mesh using normals that I made in text to see how the normals work and stuff

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 13:08 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 13:40
where the terrain it flat you need less vertices and where it is steeper you need more.
a ~2 meter distance looks ok.
you need to split large terrains in chunks/objects.
the face normal is easy, it is a formula for a face or triangle.

modern pcs can show millions of polygons in realtime.

(i hope we get vertex manipulation in next version soon)
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 19:58 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2013 20:06
Well i think I have a temporary solution any way know. I am going to use spheres to represent the terrain then I will make the terrain from the last position of the spheres. Well the spheres will make it so I don't have to make a file and then replace my existing terrain with a file I just wrote I think this may be way faster for know. I am also thinking about making a uv editor in my engine I already know how to do it. Just a matter of manipulating the image with memblocks. it just requires vt in the obj file and laying them out on a image.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 20:38
the simplest way to make a terrain is a high map picture and
then make the mesh from it. after that some fine tuning at the mesh.
some editors use the steeper value and height for different texture image. also you can combine a ways or street picture etc.
the vegetation is ofen dependent of steeper and heigh.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 20:41:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 20:41:50