Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Hi,guys, I want to setup a server on Linux.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 19:29
Hello, everyone, I wanna make a multiplayer games. I need to code a server on Linux, Any one has an idea to to that ?

Can I code a server app in Linux with AppGameKit?

The Miracrea Games
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 20:06
Quote: "Can I code a server app in Linux with AppGameKit?"

No. Not at this time. Linux was requested as one of the new platforms but it hasn't happened yet. And it may never happen.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it at least possible to do the proper port forwarding etc. in AppGameKit to host a online server based on windows? It's something I hadn't actually considered yet

swis
Interstellar
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2013 23:32
Well, you can specify what port you want your game to run on, so opening that port to the computer you are using shouldn't realy be a problem if you are able to port forward at all, which is something that a lot of routers have problems with...
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 02:04
Well i suggest to have a linux server for big amount of players. I have some experience on multiplayer games so if you wanna use your personal protocol, use linux and c++.
For database or save users data you can also use a home computer with a php server.

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 06:15
xGEKKOx, using a Linux server would be great. My VPS is Linux and it works great for the sites hosted on it and is much easier to secure than a Windows server would be. (And less likely to crash. In 6 years, my Linux server has never crashed. It's only gone down when the entire facility did or when a major DOS attack occurred.)

But if the server needs to be running an AppGameKit app, then it cannot be Linux at this point.

I can sort of see a way around that using PHP/MySQL. The Windows server could be anywhere and it could query for stuff sent via PHP to the Linux server from the player clients and make decisions and then send the 'results' back to the Linux server, where the player clients would use queries to get updates. Awkward, but doable. And I can almost see how to handle the issue of slower/faster client/controller issues.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 11:15
if you want windows in linux you can run a virtual maschine,
in this you must installed a windows os and your app.
(virtual maschine = emulator.)
i think its best if server/client is written both in agk
because testing.
you can run also any server at home at give it a static domain name
with one of some online services.
the upload speed is depending on your internet service provider contract.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2013 20:11
Or you can implement AppGameKit multiplayer protocol (described somewhere by Paul in this forum) as a PHP Daemon server to make it cross-platform (Linux Server, Mac Server or Windows Server). Doing the same thing in C++ should be better (better performance) but PHP seems to be sufficient and responsive for "small" projects.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 03:40 Edited at: 9th Jun 2013 03:42
Eh, yes.
I use linux server since 15 years, and when i started with AppGameKit (iOS) i adapted the old ones.
I done 4 kind of managers:
- The first 2 use sockets (1 in PHP and 1 in C++. do the same thing)
- The second use HTTP request (PHP call the server he need from the 2 before)

I done a cron job that look at the servers each 5 min, and if one of them don't answer to the ping message, it term and relaunch the server.

Each server has its log for every day.
Usually i use the ones in PHP, cause for the moment the speed is enough.
I done a similar to "multi threaded" server in PHP that go really well.

When i started i had some problem using sockets on the iOS for the port to open on firewall.
As is really bad to ask to an user to open a port, and as i didn't find a way to auto open on UPNP,
i reverted on the HTTP request.

Anyway i don't use the AppGameKit network.
I think the AppGameKit do the network that can work only to another AppGameKit app.
I think they must develop the AGKSockets with an internal UPNP.

Only after that we can say we have a real network.
I know is done to help newbie, but we need a low level too.

What do you think?

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 06:14
I haven't written any C/C++ stuff to run on my Linux server (mostly because I haven't needed to).

I can definitely see a PHP solution working. Especially in conjunction with the http request calls in AGK. I just envisioned a simple chat program working that way. My hubby's employers keep shutting down different IM and chat channels for security. Maybe I'll do a simple AppGameKit app to talk via PHP and my server. Then it only won't work if they specifically block the domain I use on my server (or one of the IP addresses).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2013 21:44
Halley, you want to host an AppGameKit Server on linux as you can do on windows as an AppGameKit app to use multiplayer commands ? or using http commands ? (not the same latency !!)
Grayvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2013 23:54
I am currently making a client/server game. The client is T1 AppGameKit and the server side is using C#. I used this thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=195872&b=41 to hack the AppGameKit protocol. It wasn't entirely accurate or complete but got me past the big hurtles. If you really want me to post a sample then I may be able to. It is kind of a mess, heh. Plus C# socket code is different from C++ sockets.

Hopefully will post a [WIP] by end of summer.

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 04:45
Ok

i will release my Linux PHP AppGameKit Server "as it is" ... maybe it would help

Just to be sure that is still working in beta 12/13

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 00:29:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 00:29:37