Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Switching to Cocos2d-x

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello and goodbye,

after the very slow development of 108 and non-supported 107 (even adding only armv7s support) I have decided to switch to Cocos2d-x.

I really liked AppGameKit but we are talking about serious development platform, not about "proof of concept".

So goodbye and good luck!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 14:41
ohh, trying all is not wrong.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 17:32 Edited at: 13th Jun 2013 17:35
Cocos 2d???
And what it have more???
I think AppGameKit is the best native, maybe you need more auto function?

Edit : I looked at it, very poor.
Good luck for your new adventure!

Long life to Steve!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 17:46
If you want a serious dev platform, make your own engine!

Seriously, it does not matter which library or language or platform or whatever you use - you'll always have to compromise unless you do it yourself. No system is ever gonna be ideal, so it's best to stick to the system that produces results.

To say AppGameKit is a proof of concept is silly - there are several apps made in AppGameKit out there on the main app stores. It's not TGC's fault if yours is not among them.

I suggest that you don't burn any bridges, and try and do what you can with what you have - give AppGameKit some time to mature, and stop looking for a better 2D library, because that's not what AppGameKit is - AppGameKit is an App Game Kit - A kit for making apps and games that includes language, sprite library, 3D, sound, music, Box2D... you can't even replace AppGameKit with a single library.

I seriously hope you aren't trying to learn it for iOS development - I just got off that 2 year long journey and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Frankly, before I use a native system like that for iOS, I'd want to add functionality for another year before even starting a project. Indie developers need to decide if they want to write an engine, or a game - because based on experience you can't have both, not on your own, it's too much work to get through to be practical. Really, consider hanging in there and save your sanity from the obfuscation and stress that is native iOS development.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I used Cocos2d for my first iOS app before AppGameKit existed. This past month I converted much of that code to Cocos2d-x for Android and potentially other platforms, simply because the app requires some features not yet possible in AppGameKit (i.e., real-time drawing to a GL buffer target for dynamic textures, blend modes).

Cocos2d-x is a versatile platform, but also requires intermediate to advanced knowledge of C++ and other languages for interacting with target mobile features (Java/JNI, C#, Objective C, etc). It also has years more maturity than AppGameKit when you consider it is ported and adapted from other Cocos2d flavors, which cumulatively have existed since early 2008. AppGameKit has only existed in earnest since mid-2011. Cocos2d-x, of course, benefits from being open source so its development is furthered by a large community.

With that said, I am still actively using AppGameKit and have released numerous apps on four different platforms with it. To me it remains the fastest way to create many different applications and the broadcasting to devices makes it painless to test across all devices. AppGameKit also won me a $10,000 grand prize from an Intel competition late last year, and won another forum member $20,000 in a competition this year. It is most certainly capable of producing top quality games, and has improved substantially with 108 especially with in-app purchases, adverts and social sharing.
tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again,

"there are several apps made in AppGameKit out there on the main app stores" - with what version?
And how to use the stable 107 when it doesn't support iPhone 5?
Or I have to wait few months and to cross my fingers to have (finally!) new stable version with iPhone5 and new iPad support?
AGK has great set of features but when I am not able to use it immediately - what is the point?
I am not against AppGameKit itself - I am not happy with the missing support. Right now there is no support for armv7s platform and I need it.

So I prefer something less functional but usable.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 11:58 Edited at: 14th Jun 2013 11:59
Quote: ""there are several apps made in AppGameKit out there on the main app stores" - with what version?"

Happy Chick - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.happychickadventureslite

I have launched many updates to this and have used most version from 1076 right up to 108b12...

I hear lots of users saying AppGameKit isn't stable, and maybe its my lack of experience, but I find AppGameKit an absolute pleasure to use, I have no stability issues what-so-ever.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 12:08
The 2 most recent iOS apps from TGC are made with AppGameKit, Squashies and Driving theory test, not sure which versions though. If TGC need something working in AppGameKit for an app, it'll get fixed and it'll make it to us before very long. If there's a problem with releasing software for iPhone5, it'll get sorted believe me!

Sometimes we just have to concentrate on other areas until development catches up, it's par the course with a new platform like AGK.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 12:18
Hi,

Not sure what your iPhone 5 issue is. Use V1.08, it works for all iOS devices.

Our driving apps are high in the charts here in UK on iOS, Android, Mac, Amazon and Blackberry charts. Success with apps is more to do with the concept, branding and execution. Games are clearly saturated, so you need a new idea to stand out and also need to do a lot more work than before to ensure high quality and polish.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 12:19 Edited at: 14th Jun 2013 12:20
I have 50 Apps done with AppGameKit and 3 are going to be released in some days.
I earn from iAD as from In App as from Paid.
Well, i will never change it, even if it get too time to load image, but is all ok.

Of course, as Van B said, you need to learn Obj C, and mix it with the c++.
I done apps on every thing you can imagine on the iPhone (Audio, Games, Videos, i done also a PHP editor and a BASIC).

I never used Cocos, but every time i looked at it, i changed idea and turned back.
After that i discovered AppGameKit (i was an old dark basic coder) so i said "Alleluja, TGC Team done a great thing".

Now i earn so much that i can spent 4 months in a year without doing nothing and going to sea and take the sun

Edit : And soon i will donate something to TGC Team or give them an help in some way cause they changed my life.

Long life to Steve!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 13:28
xGEKKOx - sounds like you are an app machine! You have done well. I would like to do an interview with you for the newsletter - an AppGameKit success story. Can you email me direct at rick@thegamecreators.com please?

Cheers,

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 14:58
If something don't work, you find a workaround, and repport it as a bug. If it's a game stopper, I guess contacting Paul directly would be the best way to get it sorted fast. If we were to give up everytime we found a bug, nothing would get done.

Life on earth = not perfect.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 17:41
I do find it interesting how many people come here to say "goodbye" then come back a few weeks/months or even years later. I've seen a few on the DBPro, FPSC and AppGameKit already.

AGK is a tool like any other. If AppGameKit were a hammer then you shouldn't throw it away because it won't cut wood. Buy a saw and keep the hammer in case you need to hit something (or fix your saw)...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 18:00
Maybe one day AppGameKit will be a Swiss army knife!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 18:38 Edited at: 14th Jun 2013 18:41
Quote: "And how to use the stable 107 when it doesn't support iPhone 5?
"

Even 1.07x can support iPhone 5's native resolution, but the player for those older versions did not include Default-568h@2x.png which is what Apple uses to determine iPhone 5 compatibility.

If you rebuilt the player for 1.076 via Xcode and included a Default-568h@2x.png (setting it as the iPhone 5 splash image), it'd take advantage of the full display. Likewise, you must include such an image when compiling your own app(s) in Xcode. This is true regardless of what toolkit you use.

If you're a paying user I'd highly recommend installing the new beta as it resolves all these issues for you. I uploaded all the required splash images and icon graphics for the player at: http://appgamekit.wikispaces.com/Icons+and+Splash+Images

P.S., My AppGameKit apps released include:

Little Eggy (iPhone / iPod)

iTrippin (iPhone / iPod / iPad / Android)

Ballastic (PC - $10,000 prize winner)
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2013 19:42
Sent the mail.
The only things i can add is:
- Never Surrender
- If Angry Birds (i hate gravity games) done money, i can do it too.
- If the device have a feature, sure i will use it.

and the most important
- Device/PC must obey to me

Well, after those "Nuggets of Wisdom" , everyone must chose the way he feels, and take some time to get experience.

I started with a small c++ knowledge and now ahuahuahua i am at same place. Ahaha!! (Joking)
Come on boys!

Long life to Steve!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 12:07
i too had thoughts about leaving AGK
but i simply cant ... other SDKs are more powerfull thats not somehting you can deny right now... but i belive that in a few years maybe months if AppGameKit goes KickStarter it will be one of the most powerfull tools on the web.

its simple , its kinda addictive and i really like it alot.
i think that the baddest thing about AppGameKit is its Speed..
i havent tested Nano (working Title) on my Iphone yet but from reading past posts in the forum i belive it wont run aswell as i want or aswell as it runs on my PC which is obvoius ... if the FPS on mobile devices will be tweaking by its Core , AppGameKit will surely be the first choice for new developers since it has everything you need to build awesome and fast.

i have never exprianced faster R&D then AppGameKit and i tried some other engines or SDKs but non of them was or will be like AGK.

TGC , keep up what your doing we are 100 percent behind you.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 20:50
I tried the samples of Coco2D-HTML5. That is little more than s**t.
Demos run badly or do not run at all. Javascript object orientation syntax is cumbersome and worse than Perl Ofbuscated Contest snippets. HTML5 is not yet mature to write serious games, it will be in the near future, but I do not think that Cocos2D-HTML5 could be seriously taken in consideration by hobbists. About the other flavours, x for C++, I do not know but I had excluded \"a priori\" to use Tier>1.
The big plus of AppGameKit is the Tier-1 Basic, so TGC must stronly focus on that in order to catch higher audience and attention. And, listen to me, implements the direct APK generation asap, that will increase dramatically the success.
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2013 21:46 Edited at: 15th Jun 2013 21:47
I had experience both with Cocos and AppGameKit, staying now with AppGameKit tier 2 100% it is a huge and clear advantage that AppGameKit is primarily directed towards various devices, and that impresses with usefulness! Having the same code tested on iPhone 5 and then running well on iPod touch, iPad mini, iPad 2 and 3 gen, iPhone 4S and Win PC and my wife's HTC is a kind of magic! LOL

tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is my point of view:
I am using a Lua layer over the Tier 2 to be able to allow our designer to has an easy way to modify small parts of the game. Everything works as expected and the Lua integration was a piece of cake.

Currently we are not interested in the new features of 108 (we are not able to compile it for iOS out of the box and because it is still beta I don\'t see any point to add manually Facebook, Twitter etc. libraries to be able to compile the Sprite Anim1 demo for example).

So the only thing I have asked for was 107 + armv7s support. And I am pretty sure the compile process takes only several seconds but AppGameKit team was not interested to add it.

So right now we have obsolete stable 107 version (because of the missing armv7s support) and non-stable WIP 108 version. That is quite unfair: when the new version takes months of development it is correctly to keep the latest stable version compatible with the market devices.

And again - I don\'t need the new 108 (with the whole bunch of Social sh*t). I just need up to date 107.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 23:47
Quote: "it is correctly to keep the latest stable version compatible with the market devices."

How can it be the latest stable version if you have made compiler changes? That makes no sense.

What does make sense is making the latest flavour of time-wasting social sites an option, not a necessity.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 00:06
Quote: "What does make sense is making the latest flavour of time-wasting social sites an option, not a necessity."

GREAT!!! I love your definition of Facebook, Twitter and other social s**t. Once a stupid guy I did not agree with on some issue, told me on FB that I had very few friends on Facebook, so I should have "problems". For sure, as most of human beings, I have a lot of "problems". Apart that maybe it is more important the number of friends and relationships on the real life (if they are true friends), I do not see acquiring 1000 friends on FB and 500 followers as a big goal in my life. But it is my personal opinion.
Returning to AppGameKit, this kind of stuff should be implemented as plug-in, add-on library, with some fee to pay, but it is of utmost importance to strengthen the core T1 Basic Product. I have seen, Corona SDK, it is based on LUA, now it is free for starter edition (earning < 100K$/year, I am in), have built-in APK generation. In 1 minute I have built one the graphics samples and installed onto my Galaxy Note 10.1 (Android). Perfectly working. Even on my Windows XP with OpenGL 1.x adapter. Price for upgrade is 599€, so a big price that I do not want to pay. Subscription fee is out of my scope.
I do not want to advertise other products in this forum, it is not polite, but it is better that TGC moves ahead, maybe using some funding from venture capital or others, competition is moving fast.
I published 8 apps in 2012, but in 2013 I am not doing anything with AppGameKit because 1.08 stable version is not available, and even on my 2012 apps made with 1.076, there are bugs that affect the quality, e.g. crashing with MP3 music playing.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 12:42
I agree on Social networks, i hate them. They are only an options.

Long life to Steve!
tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to be clear: I am under Mac OS X. I don't use Tier 1, I use only Tier 2. And the beta of 108 doesn't work on Mac OS X "out of the box". The projects for Mac OS X don't work also.

So I am still wondering why there is no recompiled 107 with armv7s support. If it so difficult to build it?!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 16:43
Which version of 108 are you working with?

My v10813 Mac and iOS Tier 2 templates pretty much built straight out of the box. I only had to tweak the default compile mode.

And I didn't have to do anything other than update the v10813 specific files in my WIP Mac and iOS projects to have that compile clean.

The only things missing are the debug libraries.

Did you do the Facebook fix described in IDE/platform/apple/Source/Social Plugins/FacebookSDK/Urgent_ReadMe_Now.txt?

What is not working with your 108+ Mac/iOS stuff?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Believe me, AL has done excellent work in regards to Tier 2 and its because of the work she has done I have stuck with Tier 2 for so long.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 18:27
Thank you, XanthorXIII. I'm always glad to help.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 01:08
Mac osx work perfectly for me.
I'm going to release some games with the current 108...
Which problem you have?

Long life to Steve!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 07:32:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 07:32:57