Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Andorid Manifest - android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 17:38 Edited at: 14th Jun 2013 12:48
Is anyone able to tell me what this permission is for and whether it is required for IAP? It sounds very intrusive and if its only required for social media or something like that, I'd rather get rid...

Checking the Android Developer site just tells me this;

Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service

What accounts/service?

Thank you!

EDIT: Received information from Paul;

Quote: "It is required for Android Push Notifications, otherwise known as Google Cloud Messaging."
m0rph3us
Years of Service
User Offline
This is what I have found on the Google developer page:

Quote: "

This class provides access to a centralized registry of the user's online accounts. The user enters credentials (username and password) once per account, granting applications access to online resources with "one-click" approval.

Different online services have different ways of handling accounts and authentication, so the account manager uses pluggable authenticator modules for different account types. Authenticators (which may be written by third parties) handle the actual details of validating account credentials and storing account information. For example, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft Exchange each have their own authenticator.

Many servers support some notion of an authentication token, which can be used to authenticate a request to the server without sending the user's actual password. (Auth tokens are normally created with a separate request which does include the user's credentials.) AccountManager can generate auth tokens for applications, so the application doesn't need to handle passwords directly. Auth tokens are normally reusable and cached by AccountManager, but must be refreshed periodically. It's the responsibility of applications to invalidate auth tokens when they stop working so the AccountManager knows it needs to regenerate them.

"

Hope it will help you.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:12:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:12:56