Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 10:29
For this of us who do not have Macs, this could be a very useful testing service:

http://www.macincloud.com/

Loads of developer tools, and running on real Macs.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 10:35
That looks like a really handy service!

For anyone who can't afford a Mac right away but wants to learn it's relatively cheap.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 12:24 Edited at: 17th Jun 2013 12:25
The FAQs say that you can publish using this. Like it!

A full year costs about £230. A Mac-mini costs £500.

I will be testing it!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 14:08
Woohaaa... Good find, I think I'll give this a try too! Thanks...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2013 17:08
You still need to get the Apple developer's licenses for iOS and/or Mac, depending on your target platforms.

Does it allow you to connect to iOS devices directly?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2013 00:37
Quote: "Does it allow you to connect to iOS devices directly?"

Probably not - I'll ask them. It's going to be a local, rather than remote, drive.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 10:12
I reviewed this some time back in connection with the book. My primary issues with it were the fixed resolutions I couldn't adjust and the VNC style "slowness" that made on-mac live game testing impossible.

In addition to this, they limit the number of hours you can use the service daily. Their unlimited plan came to $780 USD a year (£498 GBP), which is just £1 off owning a mac mini. Their 3 hour a day plan is more reasonable at $364 USD (£232.80 GBP) which is just under half the price of a Mac Mini. Having said that if you develop for more than 2 years then you've almost paid the price of a Mac Mini.

By getting the device physically on some kind of finance plan you're not that much worse off, and Apple hardware tends to keep a good portion of it's value. In two years time you could most likely sell your Mac Mini for around 50%+ of it's purchase value and upgrade to the next generation.

With the remote VNC "slowness" even though I'm running a 100M/Bit internet connection, the fact that I still have to buy iOS and Mac Developer accounts on top of all this, the three hour daily limitation (if it was a monthly based limitation I could stomach it, there will be times when I work more than 3 hours a day developing on a mac), the resolution limitations and the fact I can't plug my iPad directly into it, I opted for saving for a Mini Mac instead. It just seemed to make more sense when looking at my long term goals.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2013 13:29
Handy, though, for quick checks.

For example, for non-AGK stuff Delphi or C++ Builder XE4 can compile straight to a Mac or iOS binary without needing XCode.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 00:28:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 00:28:25