Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit 108 Beta 14

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 00:15
Beta 14 is now available from the downloads section with the following changes

In response to the help files update we have so far received 95 examples from kind users, in particular Tone Dialer deserves a special mention for providing nearly half of these!

To continue the improvements to the help files I have added a search feature to search the command list which also displays the parameters for each command. This also works in the offline pages with no internet connection required.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 00:20
Paul, I am working on my Tier 2 state machine example now. It will be multiple files (because it also provides examples of some other stuff, including multiple file usage).

When I'm done (and tested in v10814), where would be the best place to post it? It doesn't fit within any one command.

The example will show how to handle HTTP processing asynchronously as well as basic menu processing in Tier 2.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 00:27
Thanks Ancient Lady, if you want to email me when it is done I'll see where it might fit. We could create a separate page for it in the Examples section if you like.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 01:00
Thanks Paul, its a pleasure, I am having fun remembering my school trigonometry Sin, Cos, tan etc.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 05:37
Okay Paul. I'll try to get it out this weekend.

A general, non-command specific ('methodology'?) examples page probably couldn't hurt.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 08:40 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2013 23:39
Seems ok.

I added some new code and now I get "Process terminated with status -1073741819 (0 minutes, 8 seconds)" on exit. I guess it means I goofed and I have to go sort it out, but I can't really tell since the official release doesn't give me this error. In my case it seems to have something to do with an image ID.

My question is - Can we get something a little more helpful than status -1073741819? I see complaints about this obscurity dating back to last year.

The same code runs without error in 107.

I don't really know what to do about it.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 10:21
Quote: "A general, non-command specific ('methodology'?) examples page probably couldn't hurt."

I think this is a good idea. I've been trying to do some examples for the multiplayer code but the short command specific examples are not necessarily as useful as a larger more complex example using many networking commands might be.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 11:08
Personally, I'd like a guide to the engine internals for writing T2/T3 code efficiently.

For example, what happens inside sync() to keep the frame rate at or below the maximum? Is the method simply blocking until the frame-time has elapsed? If so, there could be a lot of spare processing time going to waste that could be used if there were an asynch() version.

But I guess that could be done be not limiting the frame rate and then handling timing "manually."

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 16:25 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2013 09:44
@ Paul
Quote: "- Fixed GetOrientation on Android not responding to orientation
changes after ResetTimer is used"

I downloaded the latest player from Google Play, I have still have this error, is there a new player available for Beta14?

23-June-2013
My phone updated the AppGameKit Player this morning, now it works! Thanks Paul.

kirtn14
Years of Service
User Offline
When will agk support video's? Because none of the beta's ive used run the footage? Thanks

kirtnicholls
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anyone ever tried out the error commands? Will getErrorOccured() and getLastError() still receive values if setErrorMode() is set to 0? Also, 1 error could certainly trigger another (and following errors would be next to useless for tracing). Shouldn't we be able to have access to a list of uncaught errors instead of just the most recent?

swis
Interstellar
Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 08:19 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2013 08:19
Please start updating the build # in the help about function. It all just says build 107 no matter what beta you are running.
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 09:37
@Lost Dragon

I believe that 107 was the last 'full' release, I guess it will be updated when 108 comes out of Beta.
For the moment the version history you need is in AGK.txt which is in your AppGameKit installation root folder.

I hope this helps.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 11:19
Loving the new search feature Paul, nice little addition that!

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Statue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2013 12:19
I'm having some problems with the new build: If I try to create a new project, creation fails. If I try to overwrite an existing project, it creates the new project, but main.agc won't open - it says the main.agc file does not exist.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I still have been having the client crashing issue, only much more frequently now. It tends to happen between 10-30 seconds Quicker if FPSs deviate.

swis
Interstellar
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 19:44
hmm thank you for the update...
but i have a question..
does these fixes deserve a version update?

like whats the deal with these updates from the developer side...
is it update by date? like every 2 weeks you update no matter what you have achived..
or what? cause i dont get why releasing such a small update...
sorry if this is confusing i thank you by a whole lot! for this but .. why do you release small updates rather then big ones?
sorry if this annoys you... kinda frustrate me..

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 19:55
Small updates to beta always mean close to release.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@haliop,

Paul is working progressively on getting a solid and stable 1.08 released. By putting out small incremental beta updates like this, it allows the community to test them and report any remaining issues before the official update is published. There's no pattern to when the betas are released.

Most of the community agreed that getting small updates periodically like this is much better than waiting for the final release, plus it helps to discover many problems that would otherwise not be known by TGC. The last few beta releases have mostly been about fixing remaining bugs rather than adding new commands.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2013 21:20
VS and Xcode iOS/Mac Templates working.

And iOS/Mac/Android versions of my WIP.

Built iOS and Android Players just fine.

I have my first methodology demo ready and working in Windows, iOS and Mac.

Now, I get to try the Android template.

Then I'll get the simple artwork done and then the writeup of what it is demonstrating and how.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 00:16
Well, I went to test my methodology demo on iOS and it was crashing on a string operation. The deep down level was trying to get a string length for something and declaring it a bad memory location.

And it should not have been.

So I went back to my Windows version and it was working fine. In Debug mode. The moment I recompiled in Release mode, it froze and wouldn't respond.

Wanting to be sure it wasn't something I did today in the code. I checked another computer with yesterday's version. It too worked fine in Debug and crashed in Release.

Now, there are no Debug version files for iOS or Mac for any of the v108+ releases. So I cannot test to see if it is generically debug versus release.

I seem to remember that this was an issue once before and it was an incorrectly built Release library for VS2010.

At any rate, I will work on the writeup to go with the code and then leave it in Paul's hands to figure out the issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 05:00 Edited at: 25th Jun 2013 05:00
As an update to the -1073741819 error I reported above, I discovered that compiling my code using the beta under Win7 32bit works without crashing on exit, where compiling the same code with the same beta with Win8 64bit works, but produces crash error -1073741819 when you exit.

I have also noticed that when I compile the created executable does not have the correct time/date stamp. I mean, it is not even in the right ballpark.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 05:09
The Tier 1 AppGameKit IDE doesn't really 'compile' the executable.

It simply copies a pre-built Windows interpreter (IDE/Compiler/interpreters/Windows.exe) to your project directory and renames it the same as the project.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 11:24
thanks for clarifying the small update question. i agree small updates will help beta testing . good thinking. learning alot from you guys. thank you.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 12:54
how can i use these updates on a mac machine?
i am planning to move onto MAC for further development since my pc is totaly hackable ... can i use the new upates with my mac or is it windows only?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 16:41
To get things on the Mac for compiling purposes (you cannot run the AppGameKit IDE on a Mac, except in a virtualized Windows environment), you copy the following directories to your Mac:
<AGKDIR>/IDE/apps/interpreter
<AGKDIR>/IDE/apps/interpreter_ios
<AGKDIR>/IDE/apps/interpreter_mac
<AGKDIR>/IDE/apps/template_ios
<AGKDIR>/IDE/apps/template_mac
<AGKDIR>/IDE/common
<AGKDIR>/IDE/Help (this is up to you, whether you want local help)
<AGKDIR>/IDE/platform/apple
<AGKDIR>/IDE/platform/mac

The directories above are what you need to build iOS and Mac in Tier 1 and Tier 2.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Zeerun
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 17:19
Quote: "how can i use these updates on a mac machine?
i am planning to move onto MAC for further development since my pc is totaly hackable ... can i use the new upates with my mac or is it windows only?"

Before I got my ultrabook I was running AppGameKit on my mac via WINE, sometimes it crashed on broadcasting but was mostly stable

I seek perfection but wear my scars with pride
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jun 2013 21:53
yep im using the latest Wine and latest OS x mountain lion
everything works perfect.. if it crushes it will show up on the terminal ... this is the first day ever for me using MAC and i always disliked Apple cause of their so called "rules" ...
but damn , they are good.

i'll post tommarow a full tutorial about how to use Tier 1 ide on a Mac.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 12:54
Give a look to my thread on the PUSH NOTOFICATION.
Apple wanna reject all next delivery.
Thx.

Long life to Steve!
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
It could be something in my code but I've noticed some serious speed issues with the iPad 3 along side the iPad 2. The same code runs fine on iPad 2 but much much slower on iPad3. I tried experimenting with forceindtendeddevicesize and setresolution but it didn't make too much difference.

It's odd I'm throwing around 8 256x256 sprites and 8 128x128 over a background and it feels unusually slow and a lot lot slower on iPad 3. Settting vsync as off really seems to help but still seems slower than I remember it...

I also seem to get odd crashes with Android too but I'm less worried about these for now.

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
pprem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 15:29
I tried to compile AppGameKit Interpreter for iOS and XCode refuse with this error :

ld: warning: directory not found for option \'-L/Volumes/devel/agk/IDE/apps/interpreter_ios/../../platform/apple/Lib/Debug\'
ld: warning: directory not found for option \'-L/Volumes/devel/agk/IDE/apps/interpreter_ios/AdColony\'
ld: warning: ignoring file ../../platform/apple/Source/Social Plugins/FacebookSDK/FacebookSDK.framework/FacebookSDK, file was built for unsupported file format ( 0x6c 0x69 0x6e 0x6b 0x20 0x2e 0x2f 0x56 0x65 0x72 0x73 0x69 0x6f 0x6e 0x73 0x2f ) which is not the architecture being linked (armv7s): ../../platform/apple/Source/Social Plugins/FacebookSDK/FacebookSDK.framework/FacebookSDK
Undefined symbols for architecture armv7s:
\"_OBJC_IVAR_$_FBDialog._spinner\", referenced from:
-[FBCustomLoginDialog webView:shouldStartLoadWithRequest:navigationType in libAGKiOS.a(LikeButton.o)
\"_OBJC_CLASS_$_FBDialog\", referenced from:
_OBJC_CLASS_$_FBCustomLoginDialog in libAGKiOS.a(LikeButton.o)
\"_OBJC_CLASS_$_SBJSON\", referenced from:
objc-class-ref in libAGKiOS.a(SocialPlugins.o)
\"_OBJC_CLASS_$_FBRequest\", referenced from:
\"_OBJC_METACLASS_$_FBDialog\", referenced from:
_OBJC_METACLASS_$_FBCustomLoginDialog in libAGKiOS.a(LikeButton.o)
\"_OBJC_CLASS_$_Facebook\", referenced from:
\"_OBJC_CLASS_$_FBSession\", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture armv7s
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

some folders are missing in the last beta

--
Patrick P.
http://www.gamolf.fr
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 16:53 Edited at: 27th Jun 2013 16:53
You need to follow the instructions in IDE/platform/apple/Source/Social Plugins/FacebookSDK/Urgent_ReadMe_Not.txt on your Mac

EDIT: They really should have the same file in the IDE or AppGameKit directory with instructions to go to the correct directory (as listed above).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
pprem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 17:23
Thanks Ancient Lady

It's much better.

How did you find this file ? It's not mentioned in help files with last AppGameKit setup, neither on the online documentation.

--
Patrick P.
http://www.gamolf.fr
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 17:44
It's been there since v1087ish and was mentioned in a post somewhere.

The online guides for setting up environments haven't been updated since forever. The Mac publishing guide still talks about using some Mac Player supposedly in AGK/Players/Mac. But that directory has contained only a text file since at least v1076 (as does the Apple directory).

I just just updated my post in the Ancient Lady's detailed instructions for using Xcode for Tier 1 Mac project in the MacOS forum to include information about that file.

And I just created a similar thread in the iOS forum: Ancient Lady's detailed instructions for using Xcode for Tier 1 iOS project

When I say 'detailed' I do mean detailed. The initial setup parts for each are basically the same and can be used for setting up for Tier2 development as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 23:28
Need to check it out soon.

Appify Media - http://www.appifymedia.com
SopiSoft Digital Entertainment - http://www.sopisoft.com
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2013 00:37 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2013 22:35
I figured out my freezing problem. Wasn't AGK's fault Although it was, in part, the IDE's fault for marking commands starting with "rem" as commented out (removeSomething() will cause this). Turns out I thought I was adjusting properly in a for loop when removing an element of it, but apparently one of my commands that always appears commented out was, in fact, commented out for real Differing the FPS caused the problem more often because this part of the loop was only hit when host/client worlds didn't sync up quite as well. I was therefore creating an infinite loop which froze the program

Edit: It seems I was slightly wrong about fixing the bug. When the host's FPS is higher than the client's I now get freeze crashes on the client side. Additionally, if the client loses focus and regains it(in windows) it freeze crashes (freezes for about 2 seconds then terminates)

Edit #2: Solved! I had to limit the number of updates the host was permitted to send. Because of the way AppGameKit picks up messages, even if the client also had a FPS in the 2000s, it would receieve these messages in uneeded bulk and become trapped in the network loop. I would suggest everyone else watches out for this kind of problem

swis
Interstellar
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 23:38
I've been having a few mysterious problems with memblocks and UDT arrays.

With memblocks:
I have a ResizeMemblock function which does nothing more than makes a new memblock of a new size and dumps the contents of the old memblock into it via Get/SetMemblockByte. The bytes that I copy into the memblock are exactly as expected, but any bytes after that are random whereas they should be null. I've checked and the memblocks are apparently initiated with all nulls, but for some reason when I put a few bytes in from another memblock they get filled with garbage data. I've not been able to reproduce this in an isolated environment, so it seems it is some other data from my program that is being placed in the memblock. To further support this I have seen bytes in the memblock from a file that I've loaded. The file was never placed into a memblock. The data was, however placed into a UDT array.

With UDT Arrays
Seemingly at random I am getting an entire string from a UDT array placed into my memblock bytes. I'm storing a character's ascii value as a byte in the memblock and when it is read I get a value from a UDT array. Data from this array is never placed in the memblock by my code. They don't even get close to each other.

I've switched back to 10813 and I've not seen the issue again, but it was occurring frequently in 10814.

Maybe another look needs to be taken at those memblocks?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 04:55
Memblocks: you cannot assume that they are initialiased to zero. If there is enough create/load/delete stuff going on, there is a lot of garbage in dynamic memory. If you want a memory block to be clear, you need to do it yourself with set(yoursize) commands. There is a request out for a command to initialise a memblock at one call. We'll see if it shows up.

Yup, strings in UDTs are a bit of an issue (or can be). Memory allocation and pointing (not pointers, just getting the correct place) for UDTs have been an issue from the beginning in Tier 1. They might get it all straightened out, eventually. I do have faith in them.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 05:01
Yeah, but even manually setting each byte to 0 after initialization was still giving me junk in the memblock. It has still not reoccurred in 10813. I thought initializing memblocks at 0 was a fix in this update... Must be I read the that in a dream.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 05:44:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 05:44:25