Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New & In Need of Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 07:02
Hello all, I recently downloaded DarkBASIC Pro and purchased both the Hands On DarkBASIC vol. 1 and 2. The books are a little hard to follow. Any tips for a newby?
Rick the Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 07:53 Edited at: 29th Jun 2013 07:54
A great place to start is the original DarkBASIC tutorials. They'll let you jump right in and give you some tools to play with.

Hope it helps you kick it off. Start with 3D Monster Hunt

Ask not for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for ye!
Rick the Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 08:03
Also, the Help menu has a list of the syntax you paid for.

The older version(1.054 or something) will go Help -> Command Help -> Commands
The upgraded version(1.077) will go Help -> Dark Basic Professional Help -> Commands

If you find yourself stumped, don't be afraid to search the forums. You've just gotta be persistent if you want to find the answer to your exact dilemma.

It tolls for ye!
TheKid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 18:34
Wow thanks a lot these are helping loads!
Rick the Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 22:14 Edited at: 29th Jun 2013 22:55
Anytime

Some other useful posts I've used(Bookmarked!) as resources include:

TDK's Tutorial List
-This list of tutorials covers the commands with a great level of detail, as well as including reasonable examples of how you would use said commands.
-I find myself returning to this page again and again as I play with new ideas

Dark Basic Code Corner
-Take this one with a grain of salt, as I haven't yet delved into the site that much(I'm still in the process of learning DarkBASIC, myself). At first glance, it seems like a site with strong info, so I'm including it as a resource.

My own sliding collision system
-After an extended period of pulling my hair out trying to figure out a simple-yet-competent collision system, this is what I came up with. There are other popular collision systems you can use, but mine is very quick & easy to implement.
-I only include this because it was a memorable roadblock on my journey to making projects act the way I wanted them to, and I couldn't find much help on the subject anywhere.

It tolls for ye!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:04:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:04:59