Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Google Game Services

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 11:01
Are there any plans to add Google Game Services to AppGameKit?

https://developers.google.com/games/services/

I think it would be a great addition to AGK.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 11:14
i know its useful but also i don't like this web services because it don't match the code once motto and you/ your app are addicted from Google.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 11:56
I think it was on Kickstarter that Rick said that they are looking into it but it's not something they are doing now. I could remember incorrectly though.

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 18:18
Multiplayer games for mobiles are becoming increasingly popular.

I think the nature of AppGameKit is about simplifying the process of making games, and Google Game Services would be a simple way to add online multiplayer without having to setup your own servers.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 18:40 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2013 18:44
you can make a Multiplayer game also without Google Game Services.
maybe its possible for you to use a google webinterface (html commands).

google give the user a sdk,
its nonsense if agk wrap this complete.

what is with ios devices?
apple have also a game service but different commands.

this breaks the rules of code once.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 20:00
Quote: "this breaks the rules of code once."

This is a case where TGC has no control over what they have to work with.

They were able to find an Ad provider that worked on all the platforms, so they could control the commands for that process.

But the different platforms have different game servers. And different methods for dealing with them. And different ideas about how they work. This makes it very hard for TGC AppGameKit to have wrapper commands that work properly.

Do you know of any generic game engine services? If there was one, it might be usable in AGK. But would people use them? (I don't use the generic Apple and Google ones in any games I play on those devices.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 20:35 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2013 21:06
I posted about developing a Cross Platform Game Service a while ago that would provide cloud saves, leaderboards, matchmaking, etc. (Something Like OpenFeint, which funny enough went offline not too long after). I had a pretty nice framework in place that with a little work could have achieved the desired results for any games I would develop but didn't go anywhere with it because it seemed like there was not much demand, what with GameCenter Implementation around the corner. Still, it seems to be that a Cross Platform Service would be more in the spirit of AGK's nature. Maybe I should reconsider and see if there is any interest now?

EDIT

Actually, it looks like Google Play Game Services is cross platform for iOS, Android, and Web. The last one is important, because it means that one could leverage AGK's HTTP commands and an intermediary server to achieve almost all the functions of the api - and it would work on any platform that allows for communication via http, which is all of them, that I am aware.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 21:52
Yes it's Android, iOS and web.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:00:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:00:02