Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / female fantasy model 001

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 13:18 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2013 17:54
It's been way too long since I made something. This was my first time in a long time. It's a character I've been working on just within a days ago. So far there's no animation yet and no texture. The helmet and body together is 1556 triangulated. I was supposed to work on a male main character but got led to a female one. Oh well anyways this character so far is named Sakura for now. I know that name is used alot these days. Anyways her costume is a cybernetic ninja/samurai. Not much armor is on her except for her shoulder pads, helmet. the rest is a shiny jumpsuit and some shiny shoes. The original wasn't anime but on this one was anime style.

Background story: is the main character's partner later on the chapter taking over his the old partner's suit. Even though most of the armor is beyond repair she managed to get her hands onto the armor with a lightweight version which makes her faster than the predecessor by sacrificing the armor and most of the gadgets for even faster speed. This character is orphaned after the last attack in the story is is left orphaned for nearly 10 years. Until at the age of 17 she took the chance of tracking down the main character and voluntarily became his partner. Later on the story it was revealed that she wanted to be like her hero which is the main character's old partner whom died in combat. The old partner maybe more skilled but she is more athletic and very cunning compared to the predecessor. She will be his partner until the end of the story.

note: Style is still a concept. I will most likely change the helmet slightly. Still not done.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2013 02:24 Edited at: 6th Jul 2013 07:38
Here's a newer update. The helmet is slightly adjusted. It has hair. Only Vertex color for now. Hair is still not done. Like I said this is still a work in progress.

edit: hair and helmet is a separate piece. On next update I will replace the hair and helmet and making it as one piece.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 22:25
Unless this is for fpsc or mobile, I'd push in some more polies.

The proportions are a bit off, I'm guessing it is meant to be stylized/anime and that's cool, it gives you room to push things, but the torso still seems thick in the side view compared to the legs, and the arms are a tad too long.

elbow should hit right around the level of the navel when down at the sides, these look to come closer to the hips, although with no bend in them it's hard to place where the elbow is meant to be exactly.

the feet could use some shape on the bottom instead of just a flat plane. try added a sole and heel.

the pose has her leaning forward uncomfortably, pull the torso and head back some to give a more balanced and relaxed position.

don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage or be down on the work, it's a good start, but I think you can push it further.

Shazam!
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2013 13:02
Thanks for the feedback. This was from a reference picture of an anime. so that's why it looks like that. the body still isn't done. Thanks for mentioning the feet. I forgot about the feet. the feet is going to be high heel boots. the arm was done approx. so it wasn't accurate. There is a bend but i'll post a picture later on to show you. the model is far from done.I did it low polygon was to maybe possibly port a possible game on a mobile platform. I'm thinking about shrinking it down even more by half. so I wanted to crunch it down to maybe less then 1,000 or even 500. At first the model was leaning out alot I had to redo the legs so it was more straight. I used to thought it was just me but thanks for letting me know that it still leans forward. The game is basically a very small open world where you fight against a small number of bad guys/missions around the city kinda like DC Universe except it's only single player. the camera can be changed to third person or first person. This game won't be complex. It's pretty much a simple FPS game but with a very small open world at fist like maybe 9-15 tall buildings as a prototype. Well like I said I'm still not near done, but I really appreciate your opinion.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 10:29 Edited at: 12th Jul 2013 10:36
here is wireframe version. I really don't have time but when I do i'll work on her arm, shoulder pads, boots, and finish her front hair. I might just make a second of this model in a even lower polygon so that way I can concentrate better. it'll be around 500.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 02:02 Edited at: 5th Aug 2013 02:04
small update. sorry the horrible slow pace, but I'm getting ready for work in a few minutes. I just did a small update on her. The only changes is that I ditched the hair and went for the helmet and hair as once piece. The helmet is the only separate piece. Reason is because incase I want to do some in game customization I can give her new pieces without going for a new model. The helmet seems to still need small changes especially on the side and when I add the hair it'll be done. The rest of the body will be cranked up on the polygons. My new goal is to keep her near 5k polygon. So far she is till the same which is under 2k polygon. What I need to do now is the front hair. Other than that I should be done with the helmet.

updated helmet: after some adjustments I should be done. I decided against having front hair on her helmet. It'll look way better once it is textured.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 14:04 Edited at: 9th Aug 2013 09:35
Well here's a more updated look on her. The leg is next. after that with some tweaking on the whole body I should be done with the modeling. After that I shall probably move on to the texture. To me the texture shall bring the character more to life. For now it isn't much.

edit: here's the re-uploaded update. so far I've added some kind of metal ankle brace on her. her foot is updated. To me it looks more better. so I had to rush this picture. It's getting very late for me right now. I consider this version 1 as the game project goes in the future projects I'll update her looks. Her other looks I've planned it to give her an armor with shoulder pads. Along with a armor covering her whole arm. pretty much her planned looks will be heavy armored. This one is just more like a jump suit, small boots, ankle brace, gloves, upper arm armor, and helmet. 2040 triangles.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 21:51
Quote: "After that I shall probably move on to the texture. To me the texture shall bring the character more to life"

agreed, looking forward to it!

Shazam!
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 00:47 Edited at: 14th Aug 2013 01:56
Texturing wasn't possible as it wouldn't assign correctly. That was the day I felt that it would get too hard to work on wings 3D so yesterday was my first official migration to Blender 3D. After recorrecting her in Blender I will try to reassign her textures. This time I know for sure it'll work. If not I will let everyone know. Bottom was in Blender. For now I'm still checking for problems. So far the hair isn't showing right.

Old polycount: 2040
Current polycount: 1954 triangles

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 07:16
Seeing improvements, will be nice to see this with texturing

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 09:45 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 14:11
I should of post the texturing situation, but i didn't. It didn't map well for some strange reason. probably a wings3D problem. I'm going to try it on blender when im done fixing it.

edit: didn't know it carried the vertex color with it when i exported it. I thought I set it off. So far the polycount is still at 1,954. I'm still figuring out how to work the UV texture options until then here's a more updated pic. for the meantime I'm working on a male model while I'm figuring things out.

edit #2: XD sorry found out I was an idiot. UV mapped it all wrong. I will just import it back to wings and texture it in wings.

edit: For the meantime I made a generic male model that's probably no where near done. I did this one in Wings3D. lol I wanted the work to be done fast so I headed back to wings. So far I still need to clean up the generic female model which is the one I used for the girl model for the one above. I had no male Generic model that's why i decided to make one.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2013 12:35 Edited at: 18th Aug 2013 13:13
as noted I'm still learning and I didn't save it. I'm thinking about leaving paint.net and going for gimp. someday I'll buy myself photoshop extended version when I get more money.

note: note my eyes. I got it from google. This is only the prototype. the eyes are not mines, but only for reference. For now when I have time I'll change the eyes for my own work. I didn't save the work so that way I'm still learning how to work the texturing. btw the helmet is not textured. The helmet will be done as a separate model. the helmet will be very detailed as I had planned on paper.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2013 15:53 Edited at: 11th Sep 2013 01:58
some more updated pics. the model is the real thing. anyways the helmet is separated for now. I suck at it so the texturing is still work in progress. the shoulder pad is not done but just place the lines as a place holder. I had not worked on the face yet. Only thing done is probably the ankle brace. I did the best I can for a gold brace. I'm thinking about making the black part of the suit more grey.

edit: it's reuploaded so this is more updated. shoulder pad is being worked on right now. Can't find the lighting and burning tool on paint.net right now. lol anyways the future working title is "Kunoichi Sakura". I'm still looking for a title for this someday future game project.

edit: didn't have time but i managed to make her suit more grey. I was looking at this thread from my phone and it looks completely black so i adjusted it.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2013 05:33 Edited at: 14th Sep 2013 02:11
more updates. Still using the placeholder eyes.

Character bios:
ht: 5'0"
summary: A child whom survived after a big battle between two worlds. The war started and spread everywhere around the globe and lastly in Tokyo where she was raised. After her idol(the original hero who wore her suit and "X's" partner) fell in battle. 10 years later she took the opportunity and stole the suit and became the unofficial new heroine. When they found out. A hero named Evolver X goes on the pursuit for the thief. On her first battle she defeated one of the surviving villain who still roam her city. Proving herself "X" lets her keep the suit. The story gets more complex, but this is good enough. lol

edit: I remade the helmet I will post pics when I get home from work. Right now I'm leaving to work.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 01:15 Edited at: 25th Sep 2013 01:18
sorry I posted this on the other thread but here it is. with the prototype eyes. I'm making another one to replace this one eventually. The next model revision will have more polygon(5k-8k?) and will have more better textures, but that is a long way from now.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 11:25
Quote: "I'm making another one to replace this one eventually. The next model revision will have more polygon(5k-8k?) and will have more better textures, but that is a long way from now."

Do not worry about that - you're making the model for your sake - not ours. Take it at your own pace and push yourself as it feels appropriate - this model itself is a big project, and a nice project to follow too! It's absolutly shaping up to be quite nice!
The eyes work very well too. Simple, yet effective.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2013 13:16
Thanks alot. I am aiming for next year or the year after for a first giant stepping stone for her first official revision. The model isn't being redone from scratch, but I'm just going to add more polygons and make all the parts separate completely. I'm trying to save myself more time by making one generic female model and then add the parts together like the pads, boots, gloves, helmet, hair, etc. I'm trying to cut myself time so that way the character can be customized in the game or they can create their own using the base model, but that feature is still a long way to go. I just don't want it to be too far away.

So far I sort of have a psuedo code ish' in my head of what I'm going to feature in the far far future. I'm going to save each customized character names on a notepad then whenever they select custom character it'll load all the names on the notepad list(kind of like that mugen program). the file will be able to be called from the "character" folder along with the document with the same name and etc. The document will list all the object that is connected with it. Each character can be customized in game or by external paint programs. That's also the reason why on the next revision I wanted to simply the texture so players can use it easier. Each character/object can have unlimited amount of different textures, but only one can be used at a time. Anyways that's some of my far future plans.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 14:53 Edited at: 27th Sep 2013 15:19
Slightly better, but I'm still sort of not happy with the helmet design. I want it to look slightly more unique. After the face and helmet I'm just going to call it done. Because of my troubles with MingW and Visual C++. I probably have no choice but to install Darkbasic Pro and see how this model is. After that I will finally work on animation. Before doing that I will write down the animation she will need. Basically she will need jump, idle, shoot, melee attack combo 1 to either 3 or maybe 5, super move taunt.

With super move all she does is a taunt to let player know super move has been activated. moves are very different. All special jump attacks are one hit that will use full 100% power. Combos go up very high counts. Ranged attacks will also be one hit that will use 100% power. You need to hold down a button of certain time limit so that way it doesn't get confused with accidental button press when doing ranged and jumping super moves. Her running speed will be very fast compared to normal.

So that is my plan so far on the animation.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 21:47
don't forget animations for 'get hurt' and 'die'

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2013 22:22
lol thanks. I actually forgot. XD that would of been a really funny mistake.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 13:35 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 14:14
messing around with the helmet. I got ugly results. I'm going to redo it. so far the helmet is modeled the way I wanted it, but the texturing is a whole different story. Back of the helmet got cut off from the texture so it wasn't possible. Hair was off. lol

this is without the ghost pattern:

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 16:26 Edited at: 6th Oct 2013 16:34
Quick smooth to see if it looks better. Any opinions? 2348 polygons. No triangles. This is the generic model. Original is 618 with no triangles. Differences with the generic versus the current model is that the current generic model has no special parts and also has fixed parts like the neck is slightly better. buttocks is slightly better even with smooth. Before change it looks like cottage cheese after smooth. lol

smooth version with 2348 polygon:

original non smooth with 618 polygon:
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 18:30
Thing is - it looks smoother sure, but it doesnt look BETTER. It look the same, just smoother. It doesnt add anything of importance.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 19:48 Edited at: 6th Oct 2013 20:51
^ agreed.

You can't really just pop in a subdivision or two over the whole model and expect much improvement.

You need to choose areas of detail and build in additional form in a controlled manner, and if it doesn't alter the shape of the sillouhette, then it isn't detail that needs to be modeled.

Basically, add in additional loops by hand, where they will be most effective. If you are not baking out a high poly, there is no need to subdivide the entire model.

edit: here is an image that may help,

on the top: this is 3500 poly (mixed tri and quad), it is only 1000 more than your smoothed version (I'm assuming you are counting in quad) and most of that difference is in the fully defined and articulate hands and face, if those were done in the same style, I could remove around 500 from the face, and ~800 from the hands to clock in around 2200 while maintaining the same overall detailed silhoutte.

Note how the loop density is distributed to support shape defining detail and areas of deformation for animation.

on bottom: a map of typical edge loop density allocation on a base body mesh. of course depending on equipment and accessories, you may need to reallocate

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 02:09 Edited at: 30th Oct 2013 00:06
well thanks for the tip. The more time I work on it I will highly consider what you said. Even though I'm not done I will continue to fix the base model when I have time. Other than that I will continue to texture the other model to get more progress done. I haven't saved it as the smooth one yet, but I was curious what you guys would think of that direction. btw yes like I stated above I was counting in quads(with no triangles).

edit: sorry for long absent. I've been very busy. I dont have to redo the model it'll hold the process too long. When I have time I will start the animation. The prototype game will be done in DarkBASIC Pro before being done in OpenGL. So far I just got some sample codes off of the codebase as my base code. So, that is my plan so far. After the model is done The helmet will be attached as an item in game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:15:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:15:54