Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / classic jaws remake.... (may turn into a mini rpg)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 04:55 Edited at: 8th Jul 2013 06:42
I just started the project this weekend and thought I would share my progress as I go.

I figured out how to seamlessly load tile maps in from tile studio and here is my results so far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXo-Rdrazr0
(the gittery video is my recorder)

I was originaly looking at remaking the classic old school jaws for nes. basically the role of the game is to kill the big bad shark.

What I plan on doing differently is having it so you can go into towns. Buy/sell items, upgrade stuff, perform mini quests (searches), and defeat 2 or 3 bad underwater creatures. Of coarse a big shark will be one of those.

I also want to add in multiplayer so it could make the game even more interesting over 2 tablets or 2 phones...er whatever. I hope to have this finished up by end july.

I will post an updated shot or video next weekend with some actual game play fighting in the water.

fyi: I will be redrawing all tiles once the game is finished to polish it up. I generally like to not spend too much time drawing or I will get board of the project. If the projects already made....well its more motivating to redraw everything nicely

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 21:09
By the looks of it so do you have an good Engine for a uniqe rpg game.
Why not an pirate game where you attack sea monsters or ships.
then go a shore to fight bandits or monsters or even search for treasures.

Its pretty much up to your imagination.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2013 02:04 Edited at: 9th Jul 2013 02:25
yeah its a really simple tile engine but it works very fast. It should be able to handle large arrays of data.

I like the pirate idea. My goal is to have this game put together (almost) by the time I get my new ouya game system to run it on.

I realy want to test a game mode that lets me use my tablet as a controller/second screen to display whatever and have the ouya as the main screen and to allow 2 players to play.

This game is more being built for a test of functionality. If it works well I will be restarting my bigger project for agk instead of dbpro...link: http://www.indiedb.com/games/zombie-down-time

Actually I also see that agk hit the 20k funding...witch means dbp is now obsolete for me to use as far as im concerned.

I may just redo my zombie game 2d for now. Ill see if I can get this game done first in the next 3 weeks. (im giving myself a timeline)

Then I need to make a choice of finishing my dbpro project or waiting for agks 3d enhancements and restarting it.

soo.... I may as well just make 2d agk games till the new 3d stuff arrives....

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 02:36
Wow. For 2 hours coding, that's awesome. How did you even make the map editor in that time??? Was that something that you already had?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 03:42
actualy im using tile studio.... the maps load into agk realy easy.

see thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206558&b=41

and if your curious as to my tile draw engine.... I can post that too if ya want.... its really simple.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 14:07
I'd never even heard of that. Lol. My project is past that though, I built an editor directly into it. Might not have had I know about this though...... :-$
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 18:02
here is an updated video of my progress...

next is the enemies and town interaction.

then multiplayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0xcOfi5tY&feature=youtu.be

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
How are you handling collision, box2d?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 02:31 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2013 02:35
just math....

square box collision as its tile based so its really easy to calculate.

its probably not hard to calculate triangle bounds either...but I have not used that here....just box bound calculations.

The advantage to using a system like this... you only need to check the tiles surrounding your characters....it doesn't need to go crazy and test every tile for a collision.

The disadvantage....square collision only.. (for what i've coded)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:28:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:28:31