Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A 48 hour game jam/competition?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2013 20:05 Edited at: 17th Jul 2013 11:04
Hello, a week or so ago, we started a discussion in this thread about having a timed programming "competition". A lot of people seemed to like the idea but nothing has happned yet. So im checking if there is any interest and to get some ideas for how it could work.

Doing a competition now could give AppGameKit some publicity for the kickstarter that is going on right now and it would probably be a lot of fun for anyone entering.

First of all, the competition would have a short time in which you would need to make a game. Most of us agreed that 48 hours is probably a good amount of time since it will give some time to think and polish the game yet still be a short time to make a game in. Now, one thing that was brought up in the other thread was cheating. It is possible that someone could take an old game and say that they made it in 48 hours, and it would be pretty easy to do. On the other hand, im sure a lot of us have little functions for doing something quick and easy that we use in all our projects (move sprite forward, create a button ect). Should we allow those kinds of functions? And editors, personaly I have a level editor which im using in some projects, should we allow you to use things like that. And how much diffirent is a level editor from say Spine which simplifies animations.

Personaly, I would say that the project has to start out as a new project (or a fresh template for T2) and all code used must be written in that project (no including old functions). But external programs can be used however you like. Perhaps we could have a rule saying that if you want to use a prewritten function, you must post it in this thread (or make it avalible to anyone in some other way). That way everyone is on the same terms. Of couse that shouldn't mean a complete engine, just short code snippets for doing small things like moving a sprite based on angle.

Of course, Stopping the cheats is also hard. We can't have judges sitting by everyones computer and making sure they don't cheat. One solution could be to have a theme which would reduce the chance of
someone already having a half finished project laying around. But personaly, I don't realy want a theme, i'll explain why further down. Another way could be to force everyone to record the whole process and upload to youtube. Im not realy a fan of that either. You need software which everyone dosn't have, you need to upload everything you do on your computer to youtube which im sure a lot of people wouldn't be a fan of. Uploading things take a long time especially if you are on a mobile internet connection like I am right now.

My thoughts on cheating are that we have such an honest comunity that most people wouldn't cheat, and if someone does it might not be the end of the world, we would still get the experience from the event.

I mentioned that I don't realy want a theme for the competition, which is something that might seem a bit weird but i'll try and explain why. First of all, since this is a timed competition, and we all have diffirent amounts of experience with programming, something that is trivial for some to make, may be impossible for others. Also, one of the hardest parts for me about programming is comming up with ideas, but most of us probably have atleast some ideas laying around. However having a theme would render most of those ideas useless. However, a theme could do the oposite aswell and give someone an idea about what to do. The example of a theme in the other thread was that everyone should make a snake game. A snake game is a pretty "closed theme" and making someting unique might be hard. So if we should have a theme, I think it should be a broad one like "make an RPG" or "make a shooter". Another problem with having a theme is that the use of the results as examples of what can be done in AppGameKit might get worse. If we have a "slim" theme like a snake game, we will show that AppGameKit is great at making snake games, but there would be a lot of them and someone might get the idea that AppGameKit can only do snake games (perhaps a bit to extreme, but you get the idea).

Another thing we need is judging (if we want to make it a competition rather than just a game jam). Since im guessing that there are very few people that would like to be judges without being part of the comptition (which will be impossible if there are a set few people that are judges). Instead I would suggest having a voting system for judging the entries. After the competition, we would create a poll for each game where everyone can rate some aspects of the game (gameplay, sound, graphics, technical achivement for example) and we would the combine the results to an average score for the game. Higest average score wins. We could also select a winner based on individual categories. A problem with that is that someone could go in and vote for one entry sevral times which could be prevented by making sure everyone votes for every game and if one has more votes than the others, we take action.

The last thing we "need" if we want to have a competition is prices. Personally, I am not able to give anything (or more precise, I don't have anything to give) but most competitions around here usually have someone donating some prices. Perhaps we could convince TGC to give the winners a badge. Or we could make a banner for someones signature.

Quite a lengty read, but I hope someone would like to participate in such a competition. I will write down some preliminary rules for you to comment on. Keep in mind that I want some feedback on this idea and I would like to se if anyone is actually interested.

Preliminary rules
*The game must be made in 48 hours. You may use tools that you have made before, but the code for the game and all media must be created between the start and end of the competition. (external media can be used if it is avalible for free for anyone entering)
*The game must be published for free for the PC. (Publishing to some appstore is naturaly better for the publicity of AppGameKit and is encouraged)
*A winner will be decided based on the results from a poll. Higest average score for gameplay, graphics, (sound) and technical impressivness. Polls will be created after the competition. You may not judge your own game. The polls will run for a week before a winner is selected
*The game has to contain some reference to AppGameKit and this competition. (For getting publicity since that is part of the point)

Like I said, this is all preliminary and I would love to hear feedback and suggestions. I would also like some help with some form of logo which can be included in the games since I am terrible at logo design. Also, when is a good time to host the competition? Im guessing a weekend is the best (I could do it on a weekday because of summer vacations but im sure some people don't have that privilige). Im guessing this weekend is to soon, but we probably want to do it fairly soon (atleast before the end of the kickstarter).

Interested entrants:
Lucas Tiridath
SMD_3D Interactive
unlikely
baxslash
Zeerun
MrValentine

Edit: After some discussion, I have decied to host the jam this weekend (20-21 july)
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 11:34
I hate to "bump" this, but is nobody interested in a competition like this or are you just shy I would love to get some feedback or just confirmation that someone is interested.
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 13:47
Hey Zoq2; just got around to reading this in full. I've entered Ludum Dare a few times and enjoy a good game jam so this is something I would be interested in. If we did it at a weekend, could we please make sure it doesn't clash with LD (the next one is 24-5 August)? Anyhow if something is organised, I will try to take part, although obviously something else might crop up.

As for my thoughts on the format... I agree that 48 hours is probably a good length. One thing to bear in mind is that the longer it is, the better the entries will be but the fewer people will enter. After all, the odds of being free for a 24 hour compo are greater than for a 48 hour one etc. So it kind of depends on the objective. Is the aim to showcase what AppGameKit can do (in which case better entries are important) or is it to highlight the dynamic community (in which case more entries are important)? On a similar note, how will this help to publicise AppGameKit? After all, the entries are going to come from the community which already kind of know about AGK. For that, it might be better for members of the community to use AppGameKit in external game jams.

On specific rules, I certainly know what you mean about having a theme (I always blank for the first few hours) so it might be liberating not to have one or to have a very loose one. I think people are unlikely to be motivated to enter specifically for prises so we could just have it as a self-judged compo where the winners are announced but that is about it. The categories for judging sound good. On the issue of cheating, I really don't think we need to worry too much, particularly if there are no prises. If people are making games for themselves, then by cheating, they are only cheating themselves. Moreover I just feel that there are too many "grey areas". For example with the issue of existing functions, imagine if I suddenly realise that I need that function I wrote ages back for extracting a file extension from a file name. If I'm not allowed to use existing functions, what do I do? Do I have to write it from scratch again? How about if I open up the code but copy it out manually rather than copying and pasting? All too complex IMO. And of course it's rather different to copy in the code for extractFileExtension() than it is to copy in the code for initPlayAmazingGame(). I would just say that the game should be started from a fresh project, but that you can use tools, odd functions and whatnot from earlier competition. Bounds of reason and all that.

On the issue of publishing; do you just mean "make available" or do you mean actually publish through some kind of store? Might be worth clarifying. After all, I wouldn't really be happy publishing a game-jam quality game to a store in most cases.

To be honest, although I do like the idea, I think the biggest issue would be getting enough participants. People are busy, things crop up, lots of people can't even take the time out to spend a full weekend coding. Indeed the fact I'm the first to respond to this might not bode well.

Anyhow my final take on it is that if it goes ahead, I'll try very hard to make the time to enter, although I can make no promises. It would be nice to have a friendly community jam/compo and see what people can come up with. It would be great both for AppGameKit and for the community, as there is nothing like a ridiculous deadline to force you to get some more games under your belt. So let's see what other people have to say and whether there is enough interest around to hold something.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 14:27
Thanks for the input, I agree with most things you said regarding the rules even though you mostly seemed to agree with what I said.

I do also agree with the cheating, and if we don't have any prices it wouldn't be an issue at all. We could just setup some guidelines and people can follow them as much as they wish. If we have some prices we may have to setup some more clear "rules". But like you said, most people will probably do it for other reasons than prices anyway.

Quote: "On the issue of publishing; do you just mean "make available" or do you mean actually publish through some kind of store? Might be worth clarifying. After all, I wouldn't really be happy publishing a game-jam quality game to a store in most cases."

I mostly meant "make avalible" so people that are interested can play it. If someone feels that the game is good enough to publish to a store it's even better but that should not be forced.

Regarding the publicity of AppGameKit, I was mostly thinking that TGC could use it as "advertisement" in the kickstarter for people who are interested can look at how much can be done in 2 days.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 16:45
if your worried about people cheating in the competition....make a specific category or game type that people must create so there is less of a chance they have already coded it.

I may be in....just give a heads up on the date so I make sure I have 48hrs....as im a very busy guy!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 16:57
Quote: "if your worried about people cheating in the competition....make a specific category or game type that people must create so there is less of a chance they have already coded it.
"

I mentioned that I didn't want to do that somewhere in the original post. I believe that it ruins the creativity.

I also had a sort of experimental idea, what if instead of having a specific time where you have to make a game, we could have a week long jam, but you can only spend 48 hours on one game. That would solve the issue of people being bussy. And if you can only code for half a day, you could take 2 half days instead of one. It sort of removes the fun of having a 48 hour jam, but it does allow more people to enter.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 18:14 Edited at: 14th Jul 2013 18:15
Quote: "I believe that it ruins the creativity."

true!...

ok well why don't you start a list on your first post of who is in so far so people can see how big its gunna be before we start.

Count me in that list...im in.

oh.... is this going to be open source?

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 19:09 Edited at: 14th Jul 2013 19:09
I don\'t think I will be forcing it to be open soruce, but if someone wants to share the code, I won\'t stop anyone

Good idea bout the entrant list aswell, i'll add it to the first post
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 02:52
My suggestion would be to scrap the 48 hour limit and have longer time frame, say a month with 4 phases/1 phase per week.

Each week people submit their entries in their current state and go through a community voting process.

This would allow for you to see the evolution of the game, making it easier to spot cheaters and would probably squeeze more quality content from the competitors.

Each phase could also be themed (with no mention of what the next theme is until it starts). For example phase 1 could be to develop the general game idea/prototype, Phase 2 to layer on top of that with core gameplay features, Phase 3 could be to implement the UI and phase 4 could be polish polish polish.

This way you can theme the competition in stages but not destroy creativity.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 05:37
the idea of this is to give agk's kickstarter a boost so we don't have a full month of time.

just to give agk publicity to show what can be done in 48hrs

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 06:29
I would be interested methinks. Would be a good chance to get to grips with AGK.

I would prefer a longer time period, since it's hard for me to scoop out a good 48 hour chunk of time, but I understand about the whole Kickstarter thing too.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 07:15
I think the smallest program I made was digdug in a 20 liner competition for darkbasic....maby I should step that one up a notch.

humm....

yup here it is...lol
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=128056&b=11

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 11:38
I don't realy want to make it a longer time period since the point is that it should be a short amount of time. We could expand it to 3 or 4 days if many people want it, but after that, the feeling of the games being made in a short amount of time goes away. And still does after more than 48 hours IMO. And like you said, a month is out of the question since the kickstarter would have ended by then.

I added unlikely to the list of possible entrants aswell.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 11:59
I would try to make an entry for this if I can find the time

48 hours is a good test of what can be done in a short time.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 12:22
Great, I added you to the list
Zeerun
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 17:31
I would like a shot at this, I like a good deadline! Keeps the motivation and the coffee up!

I seek perfection but wear my scars with pride
first AppGameKit app out of the door: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206698&b=48
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 19:57
Awesome, I added you aswell. Do you guys have any preference for when we should do this
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 22:56
I suggest any time as long as you give some warning WHEN it will be and only say exactly WHAT the challenge is at the very last second

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 23:06
Will almost certainly need to be over a weekend for me. Other than that, nope.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 00:16
If enough people "sign up" before wednesday, I may have it this weekend, otherwise next weekend may be good. Or do you need more "preparation"?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 18:37
my time will be very limited this weekend ....and next weekend....darn.

but im still going to enter. I just will not be coding a full 48hrs.... more like 12hrs

but still count me in

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 19:57
Quote: "I may have it this weekend"

Sounds good. I should be free then.

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 20:56
This weekend *should* work for me as well.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 23:05
I might not have much time this weekend but that will make it more of a challenge...

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 23:22 Edited at: 16th Jul 2013 23:44
Sounds good!

Edit: unless anyone has any objections, I will create a thread for it on 00:00 GMT +1 on the 20th of july and it will run till 24:00 on the 21th.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 01:28
Quote: "I might not have much time this weekend but that will make it more of a challenge... "

I'm more concerned about art. My skills are..... laughable... at best?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 03:36
Quote: "00:00 GMT +1 on the 20th of july"

So UK time 01:00 on the Saturday Morning right?

I had a short discussion with my partner and I now have the full 48 hours followed by a day of work at the shop lol...

Count me in, and I would like the opportunity to mention, I will give each entry participant any one sound track or two if needed from my collection over at my SoundCloud Profile

[soundcloud]mr_valentine[/soundcloud]

That should work, if not see the list here

You are allowed to pick any track aside from Volcanic DNB and COMING SOON V1...

Also you can pick up to 5 textures and 2 sound effects from this collection...

Textures at the start and sfx at the end, to select textures find the ideal timestamp and then tell me which corner it is in, for sfx just name the title... All Textures are 1024x1024...

Hurry though You have until Friday to request them from me... [My email is in my profile] I will collate the requests on Friday and upload the packages for each of those who wish to make use of them so that you have at least 6 hours to modify or edit them and recode to formats you prefer for the projects... so in essence the cut-off time for requests is 9 hours prior to the start time...

I think my participation will show for some real interesting material, While I may have owned AppGameKit since its inception, but I have however never used it to create a project...

So my participation will truly mark what can be achieved by somebody with some background in game development and programming inside 48 hours with AppGameKit V1...

I will try a mock run of recording for a couple of hours and such tonight and make sure I am able to record at 5fps and record each hour I am working on the project across the two days, including brushing up on AppGameKit core code... I am even thinking to take breaks every 3 hours or so and upload that time frame while recording the next 3 hours... so each video should be about 10-20 minutes or so long... so should not take long to upload on my measly 1.3MBit uplink...

I will however require some help in getting AppGameKit setup, or maybe I can include that in my work for the two days... [Yup That is what I shall do!] now all I need is some way to display the time a little larger... maybe http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ or something running in the background...

So yeah, this should be interesting...

If prizes are sought, I am happy to host up some free Website space and assist in getting started with WordPress for the top 3-5 winners or all entrants where required

Gambatte!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 09:10
nice...

im gunna try to write music/ draw media / code game within the limited time I got....it will be fun too see what I come up with.

and unlikely... I cant draw worth a crud either in a short time span...so expect my graphics to be slightly on the poor side aswell.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 10:14
@unlikely, SMD_3D, @anyone else who can't draw: if it's allowed in the rules to use graphics not made by yourself, you could go browsing some of Josh Mooney's (aka Moondog) threads. He's got some neat artwork. Also check the stickies on the "2D all the way board".

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 11:17
First of all, thanks for the contributions MrValentine, music is probably most people heres weakspot and having some will spice the games up.

Regarding using arts made previously. I would say it's ok as long as the graphics are free to use for anyone. Of course you don't have to use it and it's more impressive if you make everything within the 48 hours.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 11:49
I will try to add a couple more GEN variants before Friday to give some variations on the options

I wish I could create more SFX effects really need some sort of tutorial for them...

I worked out, I really can record for 3 hours, encode a low res video within 15 Minutes, and begin uploading it within the 1 hour break and then start working on the proceeding 3 hour block, giving me this sequence

3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1

12 1 hour breaks across the two days giving me a total of 36 hours of actual work with an hour to encode the last video sequence and submit it... the 3 hour sequences will be approximately 450MB in low res I think it takes about 2 hours to upload that maybe... so should make for fun viewing, and eventually I can upload the full resolution videos post event day sadly I do not yet have the h.264 encoder otherwise I could have encoded the full high res videos within the 1 hour break

Anyway I hope the Genre choice(s) is/are interesting for the two days, something like an RPG would be a bit hefty for me to be honest...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 13:56 Edited at: 17th Jul 2013 15:11
Sorry for double post but I really need clarification on the start time, can we not just make it 00:00 GMT...?

As you can see I have my time plotted out to fit exactly into the 48 hours, as such I need to know the precise cut off time... [Also probably why I plotted an hour break at the end of the whole thing allowing me to upload the end product inside the final 4 hours...]

Thinking about it, I will probably include a pre-setup WordPress Installation and show how to set up a basic website along with Content and layout, all of which can be done while your Game uploads

A break down of my 12 x 3 hour slots will come soon, I am waiting on a book tomorrow that I have just earlier today ordered off Amazon which should help me to plot out my 12 time chunks so that I can remain productive, the book is costing me quite a lot, in fact a little more than the price of AppGameKit V2! that just shows how cheap it actually is to buy V2 right now on the Kickstarter!

As I mentioned before, I will upload very low res videos during the actual two days meaning any onlookers can keep track and see the evolution, albeit not clearly... the files come out at around 50~MB in size and should be uploaded in about an hour or so... meaning I can link it here before the next 3 hour session begins ^^

But a thought came to me, When the event is over... should I upload each clip individually or a single 36~ hour High Res video? As a single file of 36~ hours I estimate about 5.4GB which would take me about 120~ hours to upload to YouTube...

I am excited about this one!

[Albeit I doubt I will create anything spectacular...]

EDIT

Thinking about it I decided to make the pre-setup WordPress site a bed for more additions for all competition entries... I will also release Source Code as it will be clearly visible in the videos anyway...

I will also distribute all graphic content I create for my project during the two days and upload them somewhere and link them... I might set up the site once I have an idea of what the project will be and have a title for it, so about 8 hours into the project as the first few hours will include installing AppGameKit and then designing some graphics, I want to create a 3D project but the Physics element and having to create custom code might overwhelm me and so I will try a 2D project instead which will also be a first for me... as such I will likely create some animated sprite sheets which you can all use, and I am in no way a good artist as of yet... but menu graphics I should do good with START/PLAY, EXIT and I doubt there will be time for OPTIONS lol

I think my project title will simply be AppGameKit Game Jam Entry [Something] so you can all use the logo graphic and add your own title below it if you wish

EDIT

Thought it would be useful to create something beforehand... and also get some ideas for improvement...

I made this a 1024 x 768 image as I will stick to 1 resolution and as such I was hoping I can simply paste this as the background and have anything behind it showing through, maybe some movement

I will not record webcam data so showing deployment to device is not a plan for me and I will be releasing the full game for download as well for PC, anybody will be welcome to recompile and deploy to their devices, I am yet to decide on Licencing...

You can download the image from this link http://www.akaneaya.com/tgcforum/DOWNLOADS/JAM_001.png right click and save as

EDIT

And a banner... 600 x 120

Downloadable here http://www.akaneaya.com/tgcforum/DOWNLOADS/JAM_BANNER_001.png right click and save as... or link directly to it, you are welcome to modify it as you like

These are just to get things started you do not need to use them...

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 14:19
Quote: "can we not just make it 00:00 GMT...?"

That's totaly fine by me. I'll change it to GMT instad of GMT +1
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 15:18
Awesome, as I looked back at the post and it showed 47 hours lol 01:00 to 24:00 on the Sunday lol

I posted two graphics in my post above, not my best works but I suddenly lost my design idea waiting for this slow pc at my shop to start the app lol... I figured the Start Screen graphics now would help get things rolling, I left a space below the title for anybody using them to paste their own project names as they like... these are just for anybody not able to shoot something together, I know very well how anything daunting can create Developers Block on their projects... so anything else I can make and share to make things easier, I will post, however I am sure many of us participating will create their own graphics I might create new designs as my project takes shape...

Can you include the Time frame in the first post in bold for clarity

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 18:12 Edited at: 17th Jul 2013 18:25
Cool MrValentine. Your screencasting should be interesting. In fact, I may do it myself.

This will be my first game creation in about... 10ish years, so it should be interesting. We'll see how it goes.

Quote: "First of all, thanks for the contributions MrValentine, music is probably most people heres weakspot and having some will spice the games up."

Yep, thanks for your generosity MrValentine! However, music happens to be my strongspot, such as it is (kind of a weak strongspot).

I liked some of your tracks. Here is one I am working on:
EP (wip)

Quote: "@unlikely, SMD_3D, @anyone else who can't draw: if it's allowed in the rules to use graphics not made by yourself, you could go browsing some of Josh Mooney's (aka Moondog) threads. He's got some neat artwork. Also check the stickies on the "2D all the way board"."

Interesting, I'll take a look. To show what I mean when I say bad, this took me 15 minutes yesterday (meant to be enlarged 2x):

-

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 19:04
Quote: "I liked some of your tracks. Here is one I am working on:
EP (wip)"

Very NICE! I am glad I made the effort to get my headphones out to listen to it while at my shop

It is a little difficult to pre-create assets as we do not yet know the genre...

I am hoping it is made into a multi genre category, so maybe 3 options...

We all know I won't be cheating so ^^

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 20:16
Quote: "47 hours lol 01:00 to 24:00"

Oh, did I miss the GMT +1 on the end time. But I think GMT is more suitable anyway
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 21:04
Quote: "Very NICE! I am glad I made the effort to get my headphones out to listen to it while at my shop "

Thanks! The song has vocals, if that helps the instrumental make more sense (gaps and whatnot.)

Quote: "It is a little difficult to pre-create assets as we do not yet know the genre..."

Will there be a theme / genre? Is that still up in the air?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 18:07
Quote: "Will there be a theme / genre? Is that still up in the air? "

is this what we are using to make sure it minimizes cheating? I think we should all just trust eachother and start to code starting at any point now but go no longer then a 48 hr period from starting it. I say we should be able to start this right now if we wanted to but then go no longer then 48hrs and Monday morning will be submission deadline of your 48hr run.

I mean we all kind of need to trust eachother anyways since it would be easy for any of us to cheat on this.

Also I think the genre should be open to make this a more interesting 48hr run to see what people come up with (variety)

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 18:51 Edited at: 18th Jul 2013 18:53
I don't think you really need to worry about "cheating."

There's no benefit to doing so, so someone would be quite pitiful to do it. By the same token, it doesn't really harm anyone else if someone were to cheat anyway.

I do, however, encourage everyone to keep some kind of documentation of development over your 48 hrs. It could be interesting for others.

Finally, I like the idea of everyone working over the weekend simultaneously, but I guess that's not necessary.
Zeerun
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 18:55
48 hours split up over say a week could open it up to more people that's for sure, I know I won't be putting the full hours in, especially as the sun is actually shining in the UK (very very rare)

But I have my concept thought up, so if I get to use it, just waiting for the word go!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 19:29
I think the idea of it being loosely 48 hours defeats the point of being 48 hours... the idea and principle f being 48 hours, does not mean 48 hours of non-stop work, just what can be achieved inside a 48 hour window...

That is my view anyway, and as you can see I have adopted a 3 on 1 off schedule...

I have 3 hours in which to complete individual sections of my project, I aim to work on a commercial grade project, something that would usually take 6 to 12 months

I do however agree that the theme should be selective, and as I mentioned above, I think a selection of themes should be granted... if not let loose completely...

I think everyone should be required to document their project as they work on it as this can be used to judge whether it was built during the weekend... as you already know I am filming mine and you can choose to Blog or Thread it on here... I just think the idea of it being a Game Jam will show the strength of AppGameKit which I see as being something that is capable of developing something fast/quick with quality and end product assured... that is of course my view in a nut shell for now...

Discuss !

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 19:30
Quote: "48 hours split up over say a week could open it up to more"

I agree, im semi bussy this weekend personaly and I know some other people are aswell, does everyone else feel that a 48 hour game jam week is a better idea?

Also, I think we agreed to not having a theme because of the variety and to avoid interfearing with creativity.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 19:46
Quote: "I think the idea of it being loosely 48 hours defeats the point of being 48 hours... the idea and principle f being 48 hours, does not mean 48 hours of non-stop work, just what can be achieved inside a 48 hour window..."

I agree with this.

Quote: "Also, I think we agreed to not having a theme because of the variety and to avoid interfearing with creativity."

And also this.

My 2 cents.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 19:51
ok...well as soon as I hear the mention go...I will put my thinking cap on...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 20:16
I am performing some pre-prep work, documentation etc... just the usual blurb that is usually available and ready for any project, such as Development cycle plans etc... I will however not be filling in anything as I do not know what the let's call it 'TYPE' of game will be yet...

I need to prepare my system for the recording lol as this is my personal computer as well as development... as I will be recording in crystal clear quality, and the idea is to get these videos out there asap, I should take precautions as should anybody else who plans to screencast

I think someone else mentioned they may screencast, I think it would be most handy if you were to get it online before the Kisckstarter ends...

Quote: "A Message to new backers if any are reading this, do you have anything you would like to see in this Game Jam?"

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 05:29
I posted this in the thread linked by the first post, but I did that today not knowing this had been posted. So that being said, I'm going to quote what I said in that thread here so we could possibly organize something a little more encompassing at a later date.

Quote: "While I'm just browsing and don't program, (dont hate on the artists :-P ) this discussion caught my interest so I figured I'd throw in my two cents. I was envisioning a jam/competition like this earlier, only for all tgc products (maybe judge them separately?). Have a few basic judging categories, (gameplay, functionality, graphics, etc..) and most importantly, keep track of the amount of times the apps are downloaded and their ratings for maybe a week afterwards. Factor that into the judging. Actually, let me organize my ramblings into a coherent pitch:

Announce contest 1 week prior, limited details given to avoid cheating. Allow people to sign up for the contest during this period.

Contest is opened and details revealed. Theme, judging categories, additional rules. Teams/individuals begin. There is _____ hours until the deadline.

Deadline comes, all contestants must have already submitted their games or uploaded them to Google Play. Judging begins based on the categories.

1 week passes for games to gain popularity. Additional points are given to a game based on its downloads and ratings on Google Play.

Results are announced the next day.

Basically a 2 week 3 day process which I think could be very beneficial to TGC and developers. Not only will more games be out there, but more attention will be brought to them because developers will be actively advertising during the following week to gain the additional points.

I also would like to see the contest open to dbp, dbc, fpsc, leadwerks even, even if as separate judging categories.

So, that's my two cents."

Obviously this thread is in the agk forums and I wouldn't expect you guys to go out and fight to get other tgc software users to join in on anything, but if any of you would be willing to participate in a jam/contest involving all of tgc products rather than just agk (obviously a bit different criteria would be involved) then it would be good to gauge the interest. I can make a post similar to this in geek culture or the tgc contest forum for a general jam.

Available for freelance work, hard surface 3d artist and current generation game artist. Contact me through email.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 05:49 Edited at: 19th Jul 2013 05:50
I'm interested in a more encompassing TGC general jam at some point. It would be cool if it was more "semi-official" with a good number of participants and advanced planning.

That said, I think this informal AppGameKit weekend jam will be fun as well.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 10:13
Keeping in mind that this is for the Kickstarter...

I think the rule or suggestion of submitting to GPlay should be optional as I have absolutely no interest in signing up for that market at this time, maybe next year... But I will be producing a downloadable PC version and also making it open source... Something I still need to read up about...

All this talk about GPlay is putting me off frankly...

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 11:34
I mentioned in the other thread that I would love to participate in a gamejam like that aswell.

Also, I just noticed that MrValentine had made some form of banner for this. Im guessing you don't mind if we use it as an "official" banner which must be included somewhere in all the entries? Also, do you mind adding 48 hour gamejam to it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 11:38:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 11:38:48