Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Best Way to Make a Sky-box?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2013 00:24
Greetings all!

What is the best way to make a sky-box?

In the past, I have simply used an inverted sphere when all I needed was a sky above my landscape. And that worked well enough. But now, I am working on a game that takes place in outer space. A sphere doesn't work well in this case because it distorts the texture and blurs/stretches all the stars. A sky-box is needed, but I cannot simply invert a cube and drop a texture on it (as the image would be duplicated on all six sides.) I have tried to "build" a cube by arranging six plains in a cube shape with their faces pointing inward. This works fine on dark star-fields, but not on brighter textures, such as those containing nebulae, where the seam between plains is often visible (seen as a broken series of black pixels.) I can build an inverted cube with 3D software and import it into my game, but that would require me to combine all six of my textures into one really-large texture. That seems a bit inefficient. So what would be the best method to use?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2013 15:09
I don't think you can get around having to use large textures.

There's another method, though not that common, where you use a seamless texture and texture the backdrop with it. You then scroll the texture according to the orientation of the camera.

Quote: "I can build an inverted cube with 3D software and import it into my game, but that would require me to combine all six of my textures into one really-large texture."

This is the usual technique used in most games.

Terragen is a good tool to generate textures, and there are a lot of tutorials on how to do it on google.

TheComet

QuantumPixel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2013 15:28
Thanks again, TheComet! That's what I was afraid of.

I will finish a game, one of these days...
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 18:59
Quote: "I can build an inverted cube with 3D software and import it into my game, but that would require me to combine all six of my textures into one really-large texture."

You may also make your box so that each side is a limb, in that way you can load and apply your 6 textures to each side, saving some extra memory overhead if you were to combine them into a larger texture.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
QuantumPixel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 19:59
That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, though, I have no idea how to work with limbs.

Le Verdier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 22:26
QuantumPixel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 22:34
Wow... Do you think you could have made that any more complicated?

Le Verdier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2013 22:49
I agree this takes me some time...
But I needed it to gain performance as I had an old gfx card at the time...

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2013 12:34
Here's a slightly simpler example of what I suggested:

Speed would hardly be an issue since creating a skybox like this is relatively fast and is only to be done once at startup anyway.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
QuantumPixel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 02:53
Thank you for the code snippet, Rudolpho! That was very helpful!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2020-01-20 18:27:18
Your offset time is: 2020-01-20 18:27:18