Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] 4X Space - Orion Conflict (Turn-based classic space 4X)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 15:41 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2013 13:41

Turn based space 4X, influenced by Master of Orion 1&2 with flavours of Endless Space and other strategy games.

Platforms:

Android: Google Play / Amazon Appstore
iOS: Apple Appstore
PC/Mac: Enhanced versions, after mobile versions are released.

Supported languages: english, finnish, swedish (more major languages planned, like german, need translator for those though.)

Estimated release during this year.

Key features:

- Singleplayer experience is the main focus (immersion!)
- Believable diplomatic AI (this is the most important thing!)
- Impressive battle AI (without AI cheating)
- Tactical or strategic space/ground combat (simple and fun)
- Large and interesting tech-tree (as little as possible "+2%-bonus-to-something" type of research)
- Research breakthroughs and some randomness in techtree
- Unique races have unique playing experiences
- Immersion (less icons, more "game" graphics and animations)
- Positive and negative random events (can be turned off)
- Random galaxy generator
- Fully customisable ships
- Endgame goals and events
- Multiplayer will be added later

What's happening now:

- Galaxy generator
- Planet generator
- Pathfinding
- Techtree divided to theoretical/direct results areas.
- System wide view in finishing state.
- Main menus/setting up a new game (needs a few tweaks)
- Basic combat AI (bit too straight forward now)
- Diplomatic AI (same as above)
- Tech-tree (basic stuff worked out)
- Races (2 ready, humans and insectoids, without main sprites)
- Gameplay mechanics (processing turns and such works)
- Ship designer (basics are fine)
- Construction queues (basic are ok)
- UI stuff, placeholder sprites for buildings and such, majority of things do work "behind the scenes"

- Complete UI (replace rest of the placeholder-virtualbuttons with custom ones)
- Unique techs and unique race attributes
- Random events
- Major game events (more later)
- Find graphics artist
- Find localisation help
- Lots of stuff!

Some screenshots from the menusystem:

In game screenshots:

Top left corner: Player/faction/race flag and player (emperor) name and race name.

Top center: Minerals, food, rare minerals, spies.

Top right corner: Date (turn number, one turn = 0.1 years)

Left side:

- Advisors (political, research, fleet admiral, troop general, espionage general)
- Fleets (ships and fleets)
- Alien empires (diplomacy, channels)
- Our empire (more detailed information on incomes and such)
- Planets (planet list)
- Research (research tree, current projects)
- Help (in-game help, tips & hints)
- Settings (game settings like language, music and sound volumes)
- End turn (process turn)

On lower resolution devices, the sidebar splits in two rows. This is still WIP and will become optional settings in game options as some low-end tablets might have low resolution, but you could still press those buttons easily because of the larger screen size. Plus icons have colors now.

My AppGameKit project: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206794&b=48
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 19:07
Sounds ambitious and like the type of game I love.

Good luck!
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 20:11 Edited at: 19th Jul 2013 00:37
Quote: "Sounds ambitious and like the type of game I love.

Good luck!"

Indeed. Although there is a whole bunch of new space 4X games like Stardrive, I still feel like something is lacking. I hope I can create an AI I like, the rest is pretty easy, thanks to AGK.

The title was a placeholder which kinda stuck. And yes, the "Orion conflict" was added just for search results.

Here is my galaxy generator zoomed out with the whole galaxy on screen:

Systems: (stars are not mine and going to be replaced)

My AppGameKit project: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206794&b=48
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 12:03

Blue nebuelae slowly recharges shields, red nebulae renders shields useless. Yellow nebulae has mystery properties.

Pathfinding done.
Techtree divided to theoretical/direct results areas, where theoretical research opens up actual research.
System wide view in finishing state. This is the view when you click on system and it shows all the planets and you can see your queues quickly. When you click on planet, the planetscreen opens, like in MOO2.

I have one week to fully develop this game before I have to go to work again, let's hope I can finish most of the important stuff before that.

Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 03:45
One of my favorite 4X games was Reach for the Stars. Good luck with your game it looks really good. I'll definitely have to get it

Auger
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 00:57
Looks awesome! Could you post a video of some of the game play?

I was a big fan of MOO2 I started making a fan version in MS-XL called "Ghosts of Orion" but never finished it.

Good to see Finish games appearing on here too. I'm not Finish, but i visit Tampere now and again for work.

I wish you all the best for this.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 02:42
Looking sweet so far, and I have to say, you're making me nervous with how close to my own project you seem to be heading!!! Lol
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 11:59
Quote: "One of my favorite 4X games was Reach for the Stars. Good luck with your game it looks really good. I'll definitely have to get it

Auger"

Thank you. I haven't played Reach for the stars, have to check it out.

Quote: "Looks awesome! Could you post a video of some of the game play?

I was a big fan of MOO2 I started making a fan version in MS-XL called "Ghosts of Orion" but never finished it.

Good to see Finish games appearing on here too. I'm not Finish, but i visit Tampere now and again for work.

I wish you all the best for this.
"

Thanks. I'll post video in near future. Too much of white placeholder sprites to outsider always understand whats going on.

Quote: "Looking sweet so far, and I have to say, you're making me nervous with how close to my own project you seem to be heading!!! Lol"

Thanks, I'll bet there is a ton of 4X games coming... just have to stand out and finish the game well with good playability.

I did make few changes based on a feedback I got and the most important is how resources work. Now the resource-mechanics are much closer to MOO2, I was pointed out that my own system might not be the best on mobile devices and on desktop it could be easily become boring "excel-like" calculation. So maybe too complicated. This is the right choice, not dumbing down as someone might fear.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:58:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:58:05