Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Does AGK have level editor?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, does AppGameKit have level editor like Unity for example?

Dmitry

Indie mobile game developer
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 04:05 Edited at: 19th Jul 2013 04:05
Not like Unity per se... However, there is a "placement editor" included with AGK. Read up on it here:
http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/utilities/1_placement_editor.htm
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 07:42
Cool! I did not know that. Great for GUIs and 2D games.

Now we just need a 3D editor for FPS, 3rd person, etc games!

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 09:04
AGK is not really like Unity. Someone did start something like a 3D editor a while back but it will never work in the same way as Unity because it will not compile scripts into the final executable. It would most likely have to create the files that would then have to be compiled separately in AppGameKit unless someone came up with a clever scripting system.

It would be possible to create a 'similar' editor system but it would be a massive undertaking. I actually considered having a go at something like that a while back but I figured it wasn't worth it until we had full 3D support anyway.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 13:58
Someone wrote an FPSC 2 AppGameKit converter, which will load and play an FPSC level in AGK.

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it was Cliff Mellangard who did the 3D editor, baxslash (hope I spelt his name right!). It looked pretty awesome!
I have a example of an editor (2D through, not that it would be hard to do in 3D) in my tutorials thread. That may give you some ideas at least. I'm probably going to expand on it a little in future also.

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 00:26 Edited at: 24th Jul 2013 00:27
Quote: "AGK is not really like Unity. Someone did start something like a 3D editor a while back but it will never work in the same way as Unity because it will not compile scripts into the final executable. It would most likely have to create the files that would then have to be compiled separately in AppGameKit unless someone came up with a clever scripting system.

It would be possible to create a 'similar' editor system but it would be a massive undertaking. I actually considered having a go at something like that a while back but I figured it wasn't worth it until we had full 3D support anyway"

Nope. Don't need it to be like Unity, but, like the 2D map editor, it would be nice to have a placement editor to create terrain, place objects and then create the code for AppGameKit, at which point we can then script the various objects further and THEN compile the final executeable.

Mike

Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 03:49
Like many, I had to write my own map editor. I did mine in Delphi 2010 (I've been a Turbo Pascal/Object Pascal/Delphi programmer since 1986).

It does the job for in-house stuff. If I get serious with it, I'll probably release the code. However, I am using a third-party library (TMS Component Pack)... so it won't build without this lib.

Here's a screenie..

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 04:27
Very nice.

Mike

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 07:54
I have TMS and D2010, XE, XE2 and XE3 - so I'd be interested.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 16:22
Hi Jim,

Cool! I've been developing this for a couple of weeks now, adding stuff to it here and there as my game framework in AppGameKit expands.

Once I get it to a state where the code is production worthy, I will definitely let you know.

At the moment it exports to a flat text file in proprietary format, with a custom parser on the AppGameKit side to read the file.

I'd really like to go the way of a JSON or XML export, but I think it would be too much of a pain in the ass to implement these parsing mechanisms in Tier 1, although I must admit to not having the time recently to investigate this. (My day job, developing Medical software for meaningful use stage 2 in the U.S. is taking up quite a bit of my time right now).

You will recognize the controls no doubt, the sprite list is a TAdvSmoothList, the tabset is a TAdvOfficePager and the actual sprites themselves is a custom class - TSpriteBlock inherited from a glowbutton:

TSpriteBlock = class(TAdvGlowButton)

I'm kinda worried about GDI handle allocation right now, but I am adding code to detect this stuff.

I'll keep you posted.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 17:35
Delphi's the perfect tool for making visual editors.

Actually, I'm finding that XE3 and FireMonkey remove a lot of need for third-party components.

I'm pondering, as I sit beside the beach here in Greece, that having the editor spit out Object Pascal modules would work very well with AppGameKit Pascal's TAGKScene system.

Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 17:51
I agree... great for making visual editors.

I was playing with the idea of using GLScene to begin with, but just went with the way of using existing TWinControl descendants to represent sprites and code to move/resize them at runtime.

I must look at the AppGameKit Pascal a little more... the TAGKScene implementation looks to be very elegant.

We are stuck in D2010 world at work right now, but I'd really like to get some experience with FireMonkey. Since Marco Cantu began working directly with Embarcadero, he's been raving about it. It seems to have been borne of a necessity to compete with WPF.

It's funny though... Delphi devs are at a premium here in the U.S. I am originally from Scotland and moved to Florida 20 years ago... but I hear that Delphi is still going strong in Europe as compared to here, where Visual Studio is the absolute...

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 18:21
Actually, FireMoney IS GLScene on gas. We haven't got XE4 yet, but it will compile straight to Mac and iOS binaries without using Xcode.

Erik's AppGameKit code is supremely professional and elegant. I hope we will have a release version of 108x before long.

Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2013 18:27
WOW! Didn't realize that about Firemonkey!

Now I need a reason to ask for a copy of XE4 from my boss...

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 03:20
wow, I didn't know there where so many editors. I have one two that i am using tiled as a import. I don't see how my editor is any better than the placement editor that agk currently has. Well right know it does the same thing about just using tiled. I guess that I could of used the placement editor as well, but sence I have my own editor it makes sence to use it and maybe improve it.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 09:33
Grooovy! - Your editor looks like exactly what AppGameKit needs. You could sell it. All Delphi programmers know that the object of the exercise is to write as little code as possible. That's why Delphi so fast to develop with.

Although FireMonkey can do just about everything that AppGameKit can do, I suspect the performance is not quite as good. Although it does do 3D with multiple light sources!

Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 15:48
Jim,

That's a nice idea... I really only intended it for my own use (its kinda rough and ready) with a view to maybe releasing the source for others to play with.

If I could devote more time to giving it more finesse I would probably consider selling it.

Its really only been a couple of hours a night for the last two weeks or so that I've put into this (I have other stuff going on... don't we all...! ). But, like you said, Delphi is the best tool bar none for RAD.

However, if I could make an industry standard export of the data, JSON or XML for example, then I'd be more confident of it being a viable product. I could even offer a choice of export format (my own proprietary, XML, JSON, etc...)

Since I'm in the habit of writing close-to-production code off the bat after many years of commercial software dev, it wouldn't take too long to tighten everything up.

I suppose I could also ship it with the AppGameKit framework I've built as an example for rapid proto-typing.

I'll give it some though, and thank you Jim for your encouragement!

Best,

Gary.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2013 09:54 Edited at: 27th Jul 2013 09:56
I also wrote my own editor because the placement editor that comes with AppGameKit is terrible. Mine currently has some very minor issues but I'm working on a large update that fixes every issue I know of and adds many new features (including most of those requested).

It's free and the source is included. Link here and in my signature.

Clonkex

Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2013 18:49
Very nice, Clonkex!

Looks fantastic!

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 02:02 Edited at: 29th Jul 2013 02:02
Don't forget tilestudio.....this works great as well.

http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/

and if ya need help with importing maps see this page here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206558&b=41

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 17:08
Quote: "Very nice, Clonkex!

Looks fantastic!"

Thanks!

I should really find the time to finish version 1.3....

Clonkex

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 16:31
At least they are using your editor clone x I think some people know about my editor, but I am the only one using it know.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 15:57
Quote: "At least they are using your editor clone x I think some people know about my editor, but I am the only one using it know."

Well I didn't even know it existed. I still don't know where to get it, though, because you haven't provided a link anywhere

Clonkex

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 17:49
Of course I haven't provided a link lol I am making a game while improving it. Because there are still some bugs, but not that many bugs. I took a year to develop the engine so I am greedy.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 03:24

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 11:04:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 11:04:49