Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / 3D RPG Builder may be ported into an Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2013 19:17
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198556&b=37

Hey it is me again. I am starting to rethink my Role Playing Game Builder and Game Player set up. Currently it is using Truevision3D. From what I can see, this engine is dead, no updates for 6 years now.

Dark GDK.net and Dark GDK.net 2.0 are possible targets. other possible target is IRRLICHT LIME. But I am waiting for some features to become available there.

I am also working on making it into a Role Playing Adventure Game Engine, a single DLL. The DLL will internally set up the scene, database information, etc. The DLL functions can be accessed from VB.net, C#, Dark Basic Professional, Pure Basic, etc. I can set up a one time fee for it, and once someone registers it, they can create their RPG and compile it. Would not require an external scripting language because the their own source program can do all it internally.

The RPG builder program edits all the information needed for the RPG. 3D scenery, characters, items, spells, dialogs, zone definitions, quests, etc.

I have a Game Player (client) program that loads the game files and plays the game. Problem with that set up, it limits to the functions that are there, and hard to make the programming customizable. Also there is no way for someone to make their own money from a game they created. So that is a reason why I want to port it to an engine of its own.

Using Dark GDK.NET probably makes it compatible with DarkBasic Pro. Would make an interested plug-in for those interested. I have to figure out how to do .dll plug-ins for Dark Basic.
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2013 16:01 Edited at: 27th Jul 2013 16:22
Dark GDK.net and Dark GDK.net 2.0 Which one will be better suited to this Role Playing Software needs?

The RPG Builder is a scene and data editor, which is something I do not see with other RPG Makers / Engines. At least not to the level I am working with. It is more built around a 3D dungeon rather than a Terrain style, although it can be combined with a terrain for a surrounding scenery.

It is also geared more toward Sword Fighting, Mythical, and Magical style of RPG, like Advance Dungeons and Dragons. Game Play is Real Time rather than turn based. So 3D characters have to handle the types of animations. I have it using an internal modeling standard composed of individual 3D frames for limbs, torso, and head. Only have humanoid character ability right now and giving thoughts about adding animal, monster, and robot characters.

However the priority is porting over to different 3D engine and do need more information about Dark GDK and how much work it will take to convert all the Truevision3D statements to their Dark GDK equivalents. I have to research it and look at samples of source code. It could be its own engine that centralizes the RPG components into a couple of DLL files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:51:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:51:29