Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Opinion Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
In a simulation, is it more important to be realistic or functional? I am creating a space simulation game with a star map. I started out just randomly placing stars in a rough circular pattern along a plane. The stars would have a random xyz coordinate but would be more dispersed along the xz plane. This looked nice, but not realistic..... I am now using xyz coordinates (and names) from the HABHYG database. I'm using the first 2000 star closest to our solar system. This gives me a roughly spherical map. I don't think it "looks" as good as the random one, but I want to be as realistic as possible.......

Thoughts?

The fastest code is the code never written.
TheeLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 21:56
don't wuss out. Go realistic. If you wanted to be "functional" with each and every aspect you would be just taking the same route as all the other big named games etc... Take some features to the extreme of realism! It will be appreciated by the indie gamers IMO
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a video showing the two different approaches. I think I will just go with the first one (realistic).....
http://youtu.be/-Dyb_VNPtTM

The fastest code is the code never written.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:11:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:11:02