Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Some AGK questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 14:13
Hi,

I've looked around and cannot find any answers to the following questions.

1) Is there an immediate-mode 2D drawing API? (I'm looking for something similar to the HTML5 canvas 2D API)

2) Does the C++ version provide access to the underlying graphics API (DirectX/OpenGL)?

3) Are plugins supported?

4) Is Lua supported? (or is there a plugin for this)

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 14:40
i think you can do much more on c++ but
it make no sense dropping the core functions.
I believe AppGameKit is based on opengl.
(dx & opengl are much different, hard to bring it together.)
modules i whould say dlls or source code.
how should "lua" know what todo with a script,
it must be made for agk. (know none)
a script interpreter can also be selfmade in c++.
(i know/used lua as language in shiva engine.)
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 15:52
1) No. There is no api that can be connected to from other sources. Either you work in Tier 1 (AGK Basic) or Tier 2 (C++) which allows a certain amount of expansion.

2) The underlying graphics is OpenGL. If you know the commands to use, you can. But, it is questionable whether what you do will be incorporated when the AppGameKit engine builds the display (see the Sync() command).

3) Not really. Not for Tier 1, certainly. But in Tier 2 you can include any libraries you like (and, if they are cross platform, then you can still use the same code for all platforms). But you probably can't use any that are graphics specific since AppGameKit controls the graphics. There have been cases where some Objective C code has been integrated to use some of those elements.

4) No. (and no)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 19:04
@kaedroho: Regarding your LUA question, as far as I know there is currently no native support or integration. Others have looked into letting it work with AGK. This thread offers some advice (though no working code): http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198657&b=41
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 20:54
1) If you know how, then you can do it with C++. Would require some hacking into AppGameKit stuff, through.

2) You can access it, but there is no documentation for it.

3) Tier 1 - No, Tier 2 - Yes

4) Tier 1 - No, Tier 2 - Yes

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 22:07
I have long said that Lua would be a valuable addition for T1 and T2, but rarely does anyone respond. Many of the problems with arrays and UDTs and functions would vanish.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 09:37
@JimHawkins
i think its faster to solve some little problems in agk that
will bring more flexibility in tier1(2).
also i like lua.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 16:51
@kaedroho, good to see you around here. I hope you decide to start using AppGameKit, I know you've done some great stuff with DBPro

It might not suit your needs exactly if they are exactly as stated above but it's well worth a look at what it can do. My advice is to have a play with the free trial and read through some of the AppGameKit forum posts for specific questions.

Hope to see more of you around here

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 13:36 Edited at: 7th Aug 2013 13:39
Hi Everyone, thanks for the comments

As you can probably guess, I am looking to write some plugins for AppGameKit and make a few games too

I am currently working on a game using an engine called LOVE. It uses lua for programming and has a fantastic immediate-mode 2D drawing API, its also free and open source

The problem with LOVE at the moment is that there is currently no support for mobile platforms so I'm looking to find another engine that can do this part and this looks like something AppGameKit is really good at. But after having a quick look over the AppGameKit command set, I think it falls short on the flexibility of the API

I can solve this by creating plugins, but it looks like I can only extend the Tier 2 part as Tier 1 doesn't look like it has any access to any low level apis such as OpenGL or sockets. The trouble with that is that it looks like 90% of the AppGameKit community is on Tier 1!

AGK looks very good but it would be great if Tier 1 can be extended with plugins written in C++ and those plugins can have access to the APIs of the underlying platform, but it doesn't look like this is possible. This is what I loved most about DBPro, most of the commands I use in DBPro are from plugins written by the community!

For those that know me elsewhere on the forum, you will know that I have a hobby for creating plugins and I would love to do this with AppGameKit too!

Please correct me if you feel that any of the above is wrong

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 14:53
I agree. It would be great if there were tier 1 commands for native plugin support. I would love to see this but I can't imagine it will get a look in for quite some time. Unfortunately...

Yes, he's me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 10:59:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 10:59:08