Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Student with some questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 08:06
Hello all,

I am currently a student at Argosy University and I am majoring in Information Technology, specifically for game development.

We just started and DarkBASIC Professional is the engine I decided to choose from. (We had a number of options). Anyways, as a first task I have to create a 2D game at the end of 5 weeks. I purchased the HODBPro vol1 & vol2 books and they are helping immensely!

Just wondering if anyone can help produce an idea. (Its part of the assignment to come to the forums, see whats popular, introduce myself, and get a feel for the community).
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 17:24
Well, the only tip I can give you is: Don't underestimate. You may have this over-ambitious idea in your head (we all do), and I can tell you right off the bat: it's not realistically implementable.

Also note that the time in this parallel universe of programming runs about 8-9 times faster than real time, which means in reality you only have a little less than 4 days to make this game.

With that said, I recommend you note down a few veeery simple concepts. Things that are so stupidly easy, that you will be able to program them within a week. Here are some ideas to start with.

- Walk around on a terrain in first person view
- Generate a 2-dimensional maze
- Have a character jump and move around in third person view
- Program a space ship to move around in 2-dimensional space using the arrow keys (much like the classic game "Asteroids")

Great games always start with simple concepts. If you can get one of the above (or your own) running, then you've successfully taken the first step to making a game. You have a framework which you can expand on, breath life into, give a meaning.

What you make is entirely up to you. I know from experience that FPS, 2D shooters, and generally 2D games are quite easy to make, where as RTS, RPG, MMORPGFPSGIGAFIFA and sports games are incredibly retarded and prone to errors.

TheComet

TheKid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 00:01
Thanks and we actually just created an asteroids like movement example the other day I was thinking of making a remake of the classic game since it was fairly easy to understand and work with.

-- New to DBP and learning something new everyday! --
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 18:45 Edited at: 4th Aug 2013 02:57
I always thought that IT guys loathed game developers

I think Asteroids is a good choice and you should easily be able to create a game within 5 weeks, especially since you already have the movement in progress.

If you search the forum for \'asteroids\' there are a lot of threads that you could look at to help you along. I\'ve got to believe there are some examples on the Code Snippets board, though I didn\'t look.

If you get stuck, you could always post here. It is very likely someone will try and help you out.

So many games to code.....so little time.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2013 05:21
Quote: "I always thought that IT guys loathed game developers"

Guess I loathe myself!

TheKid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2013 03:41
Quote: "I always thought that IT guys loathed game developers

I think Asteroids is a good choice and you should easily be able to create a game within 5 weeks, especially since you already have the movement in progress.

If you search the forum for \'asteroids\' there are a lot of threads that you could look at to help you along. I\'ve got to believe there are some examples on the Code Snippets board, though I didn\'t look.

If you get stuck, you could always post here. It is very likely someone will try and help you out."

IT's don't loath game development/developers. It just all depends on the field. And thanks for the idea! I was starting so make a little shooting game, but I think that a classic would be a good choice.

-- New to DBP and learning something new everyday! --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:11:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:11:01