Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK for PS4/XBone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 01:12 Edited at: 1st Aug 2013 01:18
Since we're finishing up the current AppGameKit kick starter, I would like to let the team know that I'd they offshoot AppGameKit into a version that would work for the next-gen consoles, I would pay and contribute for that as well

Edit: mircosoft changed their indie game policy for their new console and Sony is actively recruiting. This would be great for AppGameKit

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 01:46 Edited at: 1st Aug 2013 01:46
This isn't aimed at you specifically anwserman, but I think people calling for support of every platform under the sun need to be more realistic.

In the last 2 mins I've read requests for Ouya, W8 Mobile, XBox One & PS4 support and with the limited resources TGC have we can't have a bug free AppGameKit + new features + new platforms, however talented Paul is.

And a bug free, stable language is far more essential than the other two.

I'd personally much rather the issues still on the Google list were fixed and AppGameKit was stable before any new platforms were considered.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 01:46
Well, we need to get AppGameKit 2 done first. And I believe WP8 is the next platform. Makes sense for a mobile development software. More platforms are always welcome for indie devs. But a solid AppGameKit should be prioritized first. What I fear with Xbone and PS4 is that your game will drown in the masses of indie titles. Linux users tend to be indie friendly so that might be a good platform for AGK.

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 04:19 Edited at: 1st Aug 2013 04:27
Quote: "In the last 2 mins I've read requests for Ouya, W8 Mobile, XBox One & PS4 support and with the limited resources TGC have we can't have a bug free AppGameKit + new features + new platforms, however talented Paul is.
"

I agree. However, the PS4 and the XBone aren't released yet. There is plenty of time to get AppGameKit 2 nailed down first. Then we can move forward from there. But considering the last console gen has been going on for almost 9 years - and the next one probably just as long - would be a great investment for AppGameKit to branch out on.

In addition, easy middleware like this would be a boon to TGC if it could hit mainstream consoles (sorry Ouya).

EDIT: I also suggested that a whole new kick-starter would be done as well, to help drive up funds.

Quote: "Well, we need to get AppGameKit 2 done first. And I believe WP8 is the next platform. Makes sense for a mobile development software. More platforms are always welcome for indie devs. But a solid AppGameKit should be prioritized first. What I fear with Xbone and PS4 is that your game will drown in the masses of indie titles. Linux users tend to be indie friendly so that might be a good platform for AGK."

Well, I agree. Your app might get lost among a flood of indie software. But that hasn't stopped me from developing from iOS apps either. To each their own.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 10:44
I am definitely not against it. While I got into AppGameKit for mobile games, I am no longer playing games on my phone. I want to play games with physical controls. Rush to Adventure works on a phone because I use a few buttons. But I could make more interesting games if I had more buttons to work with. So, if AppGameKit could be used for X1 and PS4 I would probably skip touch devices.

fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 11:12
Quote: "However, the PS4 and the XBone aren't released yet. There is plenty of time to get AppGameKit 2 nailed down first. Then we can move forward from there."
Once AppGameKit V2 is stable then I agree completely.

Once it's bug free and feature complete then extra platform support is a good way, and probably only way, for TGC to keep the money coming in.

I'd love to be able to release on XBone, PS4 & Vita. Writing something for the 360 was great fun.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Guys you have to realize, the more platforms they add support for the more work it becomes. More bug fixes, more problems, and more "players" to look after. Every time they want to add a new feature or change a command they have to do it for every single platform, and the more platforms there are the more work it is for every action they take.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 20:26 Edited at: 1st Aug 2013 20:28
you know I like agk to have more than one font maybe at least 10 fonts you can use in a game. 10 different fonts should not be a to tall order for agk, and I also think that 10 is enough to have different kinds of text throughout the game.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 20:29
You do know there's a number of font creators for AppGameKit right?

3D Bang Bang 2, check it out!

My website! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 20:42 Edited at: 1st Aug 2013 20:51
well 10 different fonts for one game. currently the command just uses the last font that was loaded. I want to load them and use them when I think i need a font and not replace the old font.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 21:03
Quote: "SetTextFontImage

Description

Sets the font to use for this text object. The AppGameKit has a built in font that it uses for text objects, this allows you to override it. If you are setting all your text objects to the same font you should use SetTextDefaultFontImage instead as this will save some processing time.

The image should contain all white characters surrounded by a transparent alpha channel. Fully transparent pixels should also contain white in their RGB components.

The font image may either be fixed width or variable width. For fixed width the font image must be laid out in a grid of 16 characters across and 6 characters down, starting with the ascii character 32 (space) in the top left and proceeding left to right, top to bottom, ending with ascii character 127 (DEL) in the bottom right. The image width must be divisible by 16 and the image height must be divisible by 6. For variable width the image must be an atlas texture accompained by a subimages.txt file that states the location of each character on the image. The AppGameKit will look for images "32" up to and including "127" in the subimages file and any not found will default to the space character (32).

Definition

SetTextFontImage( iTextIndex, iImageID )"

3D Bang Bang 2, check it out!

My website! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 22:18 Edited at: 1st Aug 2013 22:20
Quote: "well 10 different fonts for one game. currently the command just uses the last font that was loaded. I want to load them and use them when I think i need a font and not replace the old font."

Really? Create your own thread instead of thread-jacking this one.

Also, I agree to a point about having to support multiple platforms - it does create more complexity. However, AppGameKit supported platforms that were dead in the water (Bada) and probably will be soon (Blackberry), it's really.... fascinating that people are against it to expanding to new platforms that people will actually use. Like the PS4 and XBone. Possibly Wii U

Ouya I support because it's architecture is so similar to Android.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 23:40
TGC can't add new commands indefinitely. There are only so many things you can do. Yes, adding more platforms means more work in the future. That's why AppGameKit has to be as stable and feature rich as possible before adding more platforms. And then you have to weigh revenue from sales do to additional platforms against increased workload. AppGameKit will hopefully reach a point where frequent updates are less needed.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 01:28
The problem is the disastrous fragmented mess that is Android. I'm afraid that lowest common denominator rules here. We've gone back 20 years.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 02:27 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2013 02:29
id rather see them finish agk 2.....then make a new darkbasic pro v2 that could support the big consoles maby.....or even say the hell with them as we all know a pc is much better 4 gaming anyways.

I see agk as a mobile device development software only.... xbox 1 and ps4 are not mobile devices....

1 major exception would be the ouya....cause its android based and does not require much more coding to support it fully.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 14:00:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 14:00:29