Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / A thought on scrolling

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 16:47
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=20513&b=4

Why?

Well, if I place them as sprites, from what I can make out, these sprites would be classed as 3d sprites, and as such you could create a tile based system, yet have some lighting overhead or even some simple bas-relief to the edges!

Can something like this be done, and if so, what speed issues would there be? Surely this would also be a good sprite-to-sprite collision system in a tile based system.

~ J ~
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah you could place sprites but you already have the collision detection, because you're actually using collision detection to place the sprites in the first place. Those 1's in the array for example could be used for collision, so you would have 2 collision detection choices.

Pincho.
JSN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 18:10
Well map(x,y,1) would hold the background, whilst map(x,y,2) would hold the collision-dependent sprites.

Am I right then, that if background (map(x,y,1)) WAS sprite based, you could add things like specular highlights, reflections, etc.

Hmmmm, lots of things going through mind now......

~ J ~
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2003 20:07 Edited at: 24th Nov 2003 20:15
I think you could! I'm not too up to date on DBPro! I have DBClassic. You couldn't do much with DBClassic, although you could have better pixel collision with DBClassic on sprites. Those thin bars you were talking about could be sprites too, that would make them pixel perfect. What I'm really saying is that sprites mixed with arrays gives you speed, and better collision in the end if you mix them properly.
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 00:54
you may have to use plane instead of sprites as I don't think sprite are affected by lights, but plane can work just like sprites and are affected by lights.

CTP

Lifes short, try to enjoy it and not take it to seriously!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 10:03:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 10:03:23