Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGKCompiler on Mac->Wine (almost there)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 05:16 Edited at: 7th Aug 2013 05:33
Hello all,

I am trying to call the AGKCompiler from Sublime Text (on a Mac) using a build shell script and Wine. I know that the compiler is getting called and successfully running. I also know it is finding the source file passed: -agk main.agc as there are no errors thrown (there are if the compiler can't find the source.)

The compiler creates the Windows .exe and the SourceCode.txt + game.byc in the media folder. However, the SourceCode.txt and bytecode are nearly empty. It seems to be the minimum for opening the window.

Any ideas on why the compiler might be generating nearly empty bytecode, but still generating it "correctly" (in the right place w/ no errors)?

This might have to be answered by someone with knowledge of the compiler internals...

In case anyone's wondering why I would like to do this rather than just using the IDE via Wine:
1) The IDE crashes every time I try to copy + paste
2) Using Sublime Text and a shell script, I can automated-ly run the Mac native interpreter.

Thanks!
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 07:01 Edited at: 10th Aug 2013 07:02
Unsurprisingly, people haven't run into this before...

Let me ask a slightly different question: have any of you Mac T1 explorers had problems with the IDE crashing in Wine on text paste?

I'm still interested in using T2, but I keep getting this nagging *need* to try out T1.
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 15:34
Hi unlikely,

in the event that no-one is able to answer your questions (I myself have no access to a mac), you might want to try and ask them in this forum section. It's a shame that the IDE crashes though... shoudn't happen really. Sublime is a wonderful substitute though.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 17:26
Thanks for your reply!

Quote: "Sublime is a wonderful substitute though. "

It certainly is. That's why I am trying to use it. My original post related to trying to get that to work with the compiler. It seems like I'm almost there, but I can't figure out why the compiler is behaving like it is.

Quote: "It's a shame that the IDE crashes though... shoudn't happen really. "

Yeah, I've heard of that happening with other apps through Wine though...
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 20:44 Edited at: 10th Aug 2013 20:50
Quote: "It certainly is. That's why I am trying to use it. My original post related to trying to get that to work with the compiler"

Ah yes, that's why I was referencing it, but I see I might have been unclear in that, causing you to think I was recommending it without having read your original post. I have no experience with Wine on a Mac, but have tried it on several Linux-distro's. The crash on copy-pasting is a bit strange. Is there maybe a crashlog that we can look over?

Edit:
seems like one other user has experienced the same behavior. No fix is given though. Also: is CrossOver an option? From the same thread I gather you've tried it?
SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2013 23:30 Edited at: 10th Aug 2013 23:38
@ZeroTown @Unlikely

Crossover is definitely an option. I have successfully run the default AGKcompliler/IDE with no bugs and full functionality on my mac with it.

Give it a try if you can. The regular windows exe installer works fine. Sample picture attached.

//S

Programming and video games, what else could you need?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 04:08 Edited at: 11th Aug 2013 04:12
@Zerotown

No problems. I am currently using Crossover, which is essentially a distribution of Wine. I think I recall haliop using straight Wine though, so it's interesting he is running into the same bug. Thanks for pointing that post out... It's strange that I don't recall ever running into this issue before (also, you can still usually paste from external apps.) I've mostly been using Tier 2 on the Mac, but would like to try out T1.

I could post a crashlog, but it seems to be generic system / Wine data.

@SimpleProgram

What version of Crossover are you running? That's interesting hearing it's working for you without issue. Thanks for posting!
SimpleProgram
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 04:34
@Unlikely

New-ish version 12.2.1.

Just discovered that using copy and paste INSIDE of the program crashes it. However, pasting texting from another source works fine (IE - from textedit ). So you can copy anything you want from the IDE to textedit then copy it again from there and successfully paste it into the IDE.

Bytecode and sourcecode files grow as the program get larger as far as I know of.

//S

Programming and video games, what else could you need?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2013 05:01 Edited at: 11th Aug 2013 05:01
@SimpleProgram

Thanks! Yeah, I'm having the same issue. Copy + paste within the program crashes it, externally it doesn't.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 12:40:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 12:40:14