Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Well Done TGC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 22:07
I just wanted to give my support to AppGameKit and TGC. I'm not a huge fan of Basic, and was apprehensive of AppGameKit until I saw that Tier 2 allowed you to use the exact same C++ code base on all platforms, something that I am relatively comfortable with. I also wondered how easy/hard the library would be to use. My fears are now gone.

In two days I built a simple client/server based sprite application where more than 2 players can simply open the app which connects to a central server, and move their avatar around the screen with everyone else moving theirs in real time. Now, that's not bad for a Windows application, but to compile it to my Mac, iOS via Simulator AND my Android phone and to see the sprite move around on my phone as I moved them on my Mac and my PC is simply awesome. Compiling can be a bit cumbersome, but once the environments are setup, its easy street.

Thank you guys for taking the time and effort to release this at the price it is at, I can only imagine how tough it was to get all the platforms covered. I will now dig deeper and make the game I have been planning and I cannot wait for Version 2.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 23:13
Fun isn't it

Yes, he's me
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 00:30
Tristanlogd - Hello!

And welcome to the world of TGC! happy to see you here!

I look forward to your threads on using AppGameKit in Tier-2 I am still sketchy on C++ coding but will be nice to see you participate in some of the many competitions on here

CODE ON!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2013 23:52
Tristanlogd, welcome! I love what I've been able to do with C++ and AGK. And I bet you are going to have a lot of fun with it.

I created an example of how to use Tier 2 with a simple state engine and how to handle simple HTTP stuff, and other things, and it turned out to be quite long. Paul liked the content and I started working on breaking it up. I will finish that after I return from vacation and it should be a good example of how some thing can be done in Tier 2.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 00:13
Also welcome, Tristan.

You will find the forum helpful in many ways - but also subject to tribal disputes over just about anything.

With T2 or Pascal you are freed from the restrictions of the Basic interpreter: you control the engine, and not the other way round.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 00:52
AL - Get away from the Keyboard! Stop Now!

We all want you to relax!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 04:32
I am relaxing. We made it safely to Kodiak and I am enjoying a nice Alaskan IPA.

Trying to keep on top of all the new threads and posts is a nice way to pass the time while waiting at the airport.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 04:34
Quote: "Trying to keep on top of all the new threads and posts is a nice way to pass the time while waiting at the airport."

^ True Story!

Tristanlogd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 16:27
Thank you all! The community is another reason I like TGC and AGK. I have been playing with new things when I get time, my game will require HTTP connections so that will be the next task I tackle in my proof of concept I am building.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 07:29:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 07:29:33