Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Responding to GUI Input

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 18:48 Edited at: 20th Aug 2013 19:18
Here's the video describing what I have in question. It starts around the 8:03 mark, but I linked it to 7:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQ0uq7YLhk&t=7m55s

In this link, there's a simple question/answer that cuts between dialogs of conversation. The user can input on the controller to speed up the dialog text reveal, and to further continue on the conversation and reveal new lines.

However, the control focus changes between the dialog text and a simple response prompt of Yes/No. I would have to program these gui panels in order to accept and change input focus on them.

However, I do also have a basic interpreter that I programmed into my code. I can create a script full of interpreted commands at run-time that could mimic these same actions. The player would only be interacting with the interpreter, but I could just animate or give illusion that they're handling with the on-screen GUI. However, these scripts would contain redundant information that might be a pain for maintainability later on, or complex long scripts for more involved sequences.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the scritped route, if only because it's less hard coding (I could make changes to a script and not have to recompile).

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 19:43
the main logic is event>(command/parameters) list
the video remember me at RPG MAKER VX Ace, i tryed the demo
for some weeks just for fun.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 00:00
Answerman, is that your AppGameKit game????
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 07:31
No that's Phantasy Star 4 from the Genesis. I'm trying to mimic the look and feel of it to an extent

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 13:34
Ah, I thought that was your game, I was about to feel really bad about the quality of my own! Lol
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 17:37
I'm interested in your interpreter and how that works, would you be able to post an example script to help me understand, sorry I can't help with your problem much since I don't think I completely understand your system.

Can your script spawn a yes/no option and run another script depending on the choice the player makes?

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 03:52
I posted a link in the forums earlier, I'll drudge it up(ufreelance programming another project right now, haha). It simply is a glorified string parser and you program how it interprets each string command that it reads.

Anyway, to answer your question, the interpreter could load up another script, or I did program a rudimentary GOTO statement. As for explaining the problem further, should I program actions into the actual GUI elements themselves (e.g., each GUI control is responsible for handling idt's own input) or should I just have the interpreter monitor input and edit how the GUI is displayed (as a result)?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 11:42
I would think you should not program actions into the gui elements, they should be able to run any generic action which is assigned to them. The script should be able to fetch yes/no from your program and continue executing depending on the result imo.

That said, I have never programmed a scripting system like this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 12:05:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 12:05:24