Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit 108 Beta 18

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 01:44
Beta 18 is now available from the downloads page with the following changes

After tomorrow I'll be on holiday until the 3rd September so I won't be able to reply to any feedback until then.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 01:53
Have a great holiday (mine in Alaska was very nice).

I just finished downloading v10817 and testing stuff (I see you have my latest fix in).

Okay, I'll skip v10817 for Android and do this all again tomorrow for v10818.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 02:46
I'm downloading it now.
Hi Paul, i don't want to bother you, but can you show us the roadmap of 108?

Long life to Steve!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 04:06
Updates!...

Have fun and switch of as much as you can!

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 08:28
Paul Please release Render to Target Sooner. please.

Ulric Boel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 09:12
Thanks for the beta.
Have a great holiday! Enjoy as much as you can and get back full of energy...for AppGameKit v2!

"I'm not young enough to know everything!"
MSI GT70 - Intel Core i7-3610QM@2.3/3.3GHz - 1.5Tb - 12Gb DDR3 - nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 3Gb
Vista Home Premium - DX9c & DX10
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 09:27
@Paul,

Downloading beta 18 now....
Have a great holiday.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 09:27
thanks for the udt fixing
have a nive holiday.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 09:56
Nice one Paul. I should give that a try today. See if I can remove all my UDT fixes from my editor

Quote: "Hi Paul, i don't want to bother you, but can you show us the roadmap of 108?"

I believe the plan is to make 108 final ASAP, and only do minor bug fixes. Paul wants to focus on v2. And the sooner the better because that's when we get all the new stuff we want. Not all bugs can be fixed in v1.

Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 11:24
Yay! UDT fixed, thanks Paul !

Downloading right now.

Have a nice holiday.

Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Paul, have nice holiday.

I am not english so xcuse my syntax, grammary or anything else wich could occure some ununderstanding
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 23:28
Paul, if/when you do the next update (and also keep this in mind for V2), there is a line in the UntitledViewController.m file in the template_ios and template_ios lite Classes directory that needs fixing.

At line 197, it says 'frameInterval = frameInterval;' instead of 'frameInterval = interval;' as it does at line 201 for the Tier 1 UntitledViewController.m file.

It's minor, but it is a fix I have to do every time for every delivery.

And, can you please change the space to an underscore in the ios 'lite' directory names? Like they are in the Android ones. I manually 'fix' that as well because I really do not like spaces in directory or file names, even though many OSs allow them, they bother me. And make it harder to write scripts for things.

I suspect (and hope) that you won't see this until you come back from your holiday.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 00:28
...i don't want say it too loud
but i think my udt's problems are gone
my test examples are working now.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 02:23
Well i don't lose the hope to see a V1 "Super Light" before the 14th September.

Long life to Steve!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 03:06 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2013 03:09
Thanks! (especialy for UDT fixing)
Have a nice holiday time

BTW: Greece is sinking from turistic waves! and is cheap this time. Don't lose your chance!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 13:30
Still using 108 Beta 15 but thought I would mention this.

On Windows 8 if you don't explicitly set the clear colour at the start then your app will crash when it loses focus on full screen. Took me a while to track that down so thought I would be best mentioning it somewhere

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 17:17 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2013 17:18
Just tried Beta 18 on Ouya, Xperia Neo, and Xperia Z Ultra, same issues described in this thread and on Google Code..

Hopefully people who bought AppGameKit will actually be able to use it before it's re-branded as AppGameKit V2 requiring another license..
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 18:36
Greenster, what issues are you talking about?

I see people saying that previous problems have been fixed.

My comment was a request, not an issue. As was xGEKKOx's.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 23:15 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2013 23:17
Crashing with button holds, and on the Sony devices it crashes after a minute with no input. This is a clean install on a clean install of Windows 8. It works fine on an ASUS hybrid though..
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 23:39
Well, what you are mentioning is being mentioned for the first time in this thread (which is what your post was talking about).

Have you raised this issue elsewhere? (A link to the post would be helpful instead of just saying 'yes'.)

What, specifically, is crashing?

Do you mean buttons in your app or buttons on the device?

What OS is on the Asus hybrid?

And, has been mentioned lots of places, lots of people have successfully published AppGameKit apps in multiple platforms.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 00:14
Greenster - As AL has said - maybe some specific instances would be a good idea. Are you talking about example programs or something you've programmed? You're becoming a little bit too fond of spraying pejorative statements without evidence.

The noun is "licence" in English, incidentally.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 01:52
Quote: "The noun is "licence" in English, incidentally."

According to the dictionary on my Mac, it is 'licence' for Brits and 'license' for us newby USA crowd (I don't like using 'American' when the intent is USA denizen because there are two American continents with lots of countries in them).

And the spell checker in Firefox is quite happy with either spelling of the word.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 18:35 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2013 18:56
Quote: "Well, what you are mentioning is being mentioned for the first time in this thread (which is what your post was talking about).

Have you raised this issue elsewhere? (A link to the post would be helpful instead of just saying 'yes'.)

What, specifically, is crashing?

Do you mean buttons in your app or buttons on the device?

What OS is on the Asus hybrid?

And, has been mentioned lots of places, lots of people have successfully published AppGameKit apps in multiple platforms."

-Related issues to the input loop were reported on Google and in some other threads and there was even modifications made by 3rd parties
-No I haven't. I stopped supporting TGC products when the products started becoming paid license abandonware as they logically are..
-The app process itself not inside of the player
-Ouya controller buttons, and on Sony devices just starting the app and doing nothing
-Android 4.3
-Even more people have reported crashing with basic code and samples that reveals lack of testing..
Quote: "Greenster - As AL has said - maybe some specific instances would be a good idea. Are you talking about example programs or something you've programmed? You're becoming a little bit too fond of spraying pejorative statements without evidence.

The noun is "licence" in English, incidentally."

It's nice that you two found something besides responsibility and professionalism to use against an end-user.. You must feel very competent and credible..

There is an easy solution to avoid slurs, don't charge the people giving them money for something then go watch TV, go to bars, write books, or go to cons and party, instead of delivering. You can say what you want about the credibility of what I'm saying. The time-stamps and bug-reports don't lie and don't know the concept of sides because they are only factual data..

EDIT: This will be my last post here. I can't say anything critical that the average person can't conclude from reading the forums or the google code site for a few minutes. This is a waste of my time..
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 19:14
Shut the door after you.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 19:35
@Greenster
if you have important open issues,
please tell the no. from the list at google.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 01:13 Edited at: 24th Aug 2013 01:27
Hi all,

Not sure this is new or not as I just added some music, but I'm getting crashes under windows playing an mp3. Not everytime, and never the first time, but it says it failed to load the mp3 filter. Sometimes I can make 6 or 7 loops, sometimes 1. I've even stopped using looping music and changed to a check if the music is playing then playing it again if it's not, no joy. Not just my PC, both android devices do the same, only they don't exit they just stop playing the music (one is 4.0, the other 4.1). Tried various mp3's.

I seem to remember DBPro having the same issue, and it seems to be with calling functions that also have a sync in them. If I start the program and just leave it, looping seems to work fine. As soon as I need to call a function (enemy moves for example), the problems seems to start.

Anyone else having music issues?

EDIT: just tried taking out the separate function call, no joy - even in the main loop before directly before and after the sync the command is failing.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 01:30
Example needed!

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 01:49 Edited at: 24th Aug 2013 03:18
Jim, I'm really not meaning to be cheeky but...play some music! Lol. I'll try the help example that comes with the command the the AppGameKit file, see if that does it, but it's odd both my android devices fail to loop the music as that kinds removes the implication that it's my codecs.

Anyway, I've done some testing, and even if I encode the music as .ac4 or .wav I still get the error, and still saying it can't load the MP3 filter. Oddly, it also seems to only happen when sounds are playing at the same time.

EDIT: Well, the built in example works fine, as does it with my own music track so it's neither my codecs nor the MP3....which leaves my code. I play the music before the main loop with

then once every loop I perform the check

I've tried this at the end of the loop, at the start of the loop, directly before the sync, directly after the sync - always failing to load the mp3 filter on it's second play. I even tried altering the example file file to play the same sounds over the music in case it was that, it's still not having an issue. The sounds are handled by a separate function as follows:

which is called again at the end of the loop, or at the beginning. Moving this function call to the start, end ,before the music check or after makes no difference. Taking it out altogether and only playing the music still produces the crash, so some other part of my code in the middle is causing a music error....but I've no idea what. There's literally no other references to sound or music as I tend to code functions for even the smallest of tasks.

Has anyone else any ideas? Tomorrow I will have to start slowly taking out the code piece by piece until I find the issue, but I can't see what it could be.

EDIT:
Ok, I've identified the problem, but not he actual problem. If I run the game then just leave it, the music works perfectly, exactly as it should. However if I so much as click in the screen, the error happens as soon as it tried to play it a second time. My game works on a map where you click to select units, or hold down the button and drag to scroll around. Either of these actions causes the error. The initial check for this is

within the loop, then within that I start a

loop to control the scrolling. For some reason this seems to be causing the issue - even if all I do is rapidly click once and not select anything or scroll anything. This loop is just killing the music and I don't understand why - or even how to make an example to be honest! I added, after the check for the pointer being pressed the code

However this never fixed it either. I'm not sure what I've done wrong here as everything else, sounds, functions etc all work as expected, but for some reason this input check is killing the musics ability to loop or play again - both PC and android. Any thoughts on why this loop is killing it? Even changing the while loop to a

doesn't make any difference. I'm now extremely tired and very frustrated as all I want it to do is loop one little music track for now!! Arrgghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 10:32
If you haven't tried it already: AppGameKit have problems with MP3s at a bitrate higher than 128. If you don't know how to alter the bitrate I can recommend the free software Audacity.

In regards to syncing. Using a main loop with a single sync() have solved some problems for me in the past. Only other sync() I use is to display my logo at the start of the game.

Looking at your code examples I see that you are causing some really long repeats. You really shouldn't do that. Always repeat through your main loop unless you are going through an array or something similar. In your main loop add something like: if pointer is pressed do this, else to that.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 18:32
Santman, by any chance are there spaces in the file names for any of the files that complain about the filter? An issue similar was posted in the Google list, and as soon as the poster took the spaces out of the file name, the problem went away.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 18:53 Edited at: 24th Aug 2013 18:55
Digital awakening, nope I tried various bit rates tight down to 96, always the same result. I'll try when I get time tomorrow evening replacing the loop with some if:then checks to see if that works.

Ancient lady, nope the file is just called main1.mp3, and the music.mp3 file that ships with agk fails in my prog too. It is Def 100% something to do with my while:end while loop of detecting input, so either another function called during this is giving the issue, or the loop itself. I think what I'll need to do is use the example with agk that works with my track and gradually build more and more of my code in until the problem starts, then maybe I can pin it down. Because of my love of functions the loop is only about 4-5 hundred lines I think. Maybe if I think it is a bug that will help with an example too.

Thank you very much for the suggestions though..... If I figure it out or get any further I'll update tomorrow when I get back near my pc.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 20:21
Your "while" loop is going to cause a lot of problems. Check the state inside the main loop, otherwise you're in danger of hanging the computer completely.

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 02:24 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 02:25
Quote: "According to the dictionary on my Mac, it is 'licence' for Brits and 'license' for us newby USA crowd (I don't like using 'American' when the intent is USA denizen because there are two American continents with lots of countries in them)."

True but of those countries we are the only one with "America" in the actual name and besides, "United Staters" just sounds silly.

Apps published: 3
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 08:52
Yeah, the term Americans usually refer to people living in USA, or the country commonly known as America. There are terms like Canadians and Brasilians(?) to refer to people from the other nations.

J T Huges
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 23:17
Have a happy holiday

Live Long -N- Rock'n Space Cowboys
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 19:13
Hey just one problem found on blackberry..with beta 18

When you set what orientations are allowed it seems to still allow flipping of the screen when you set values to 0

Any thoughts?

I also set it to landscape on the blackberry setup file.

It still switches back and forth when you rotate your device.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 20:00
Are you using the SetOrientationAllowed command?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 23:39
Yup... Using that to set it. I will do more testing tonight... See if I can narrow it down.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 23:53
I know how to force a single orientation in iOS and Android. But I don't know the Blackberry setup. I wish I could be more helpful.

(If I can convince my husband to let me use his work phone for testing, I might get very serious about the Blackberry market.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 09:30
Quote: "When you set what orientations are allowed it seems to still allow flipping of the screen when you set values to 0
I also set it to landscape on the blackberry setup file."

I had this problem with an earlier beta. I found it was resolved by making two changes; but I'm not sure if you've tried these. For me, I set the aspect ratio in bar-descriptor.xml like so.

I then set it to landscape in Core.cpp like so.

I guess this would work equally well for portrait although I've not tried it. Hope this helps.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 01:41
ERROR PLAYING MUSIC - UPDATE

Ok, with many thanks to the earlier suggestions for helping with the music, I appear to have found the problem and easily reproduced it with the example that comes with AppGameKit (after 3 days of Minecraft distraction!!!) - can someone else please confirm the same issue so that TGC can decide if it's a bug (or as would be my preference, just make sure if it is a bug it's not in V2!!) please?

So the problem comes down to changing the folder AFTER loading the music. That simple. It was one specific function was causing me the issue, because it builds a menu and so needs different graphics based on the choices. To save memory, I just load the new graphics at each call (the sprite number is re-used for other things - best not to question!), which means that I change the folder location.

Anyway, in the example, it loads a sound (for testing, this can be ignored), then loads the music from a "music" sub folder. Once the music is played once, I change the folder back to the root with

and what you get is - instant crash with "unable to load mp3 filter" (or silence on android). If you edit this line out and leave the folder pointing to the folder the music file is in, it works fine. If you change the folder right after loading the mp3, it crashes on initial play.

So probably not so much a bug, as every time a music file is played the AppGameKit seems to need to look at the file - maybe to get header info or something, but at the very least a good tip worth knowing for the future. Either way, I added one line to my code to change the folder back to the music one after the function that was the issue, no problems since with a couple dozen runs.

Phew, that was a pain, but at least my loops are fine. Thanks again guys, all help is very appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 05:33
Personally, instead of changing folders (and having it cause problems), I always explicitly name the folder. My calls all look something like LoadImage("/media/image.png").

And, before you use any of the SetFolder commands, the default folder is always 'media'. After you use SetFolder and then use SetFolder(""), it does not reset the default to 'media'.

If you are using SetFolder to change to somewhere and then use SetFolder(""), and then use a LoadMusic command when the file is in the 'media' directory. It will fail.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 11:24
Ancient lady, does using absolute file paths work with android now? It never used to, hence the folder changing, but I shall need to look into that.

But I think you missed the point I'm afraid. Did you look at the example? I'm not loading the music after changing the folder back. The music is in a sub folder inside media called just music. I change to this folder, load the music,and then change to another folder (tto load graphics for example). It's PLAYING the file that fails, for me at least, once the folder is changed. It has nothing to do with loading it.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 14:42
If it's a music file, it streams rather than loads. Changing folders is obviously causing a stream failure. Try starting playback and then changing folders.

AL's suggestion looks good. Those are NOT absolute paths - they are relative to the base folder.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 15:33
Ah, if it's streaming the files that would make far more sense (must have missed that in the help) , but then why the delay in loading them? Or even have more than 1 that matter? It was changing folders after starting playback that was causing the problem in the first place - am I to assume the attachment worked without issue for everyone else or did none simply try it? Lol. I also noticed that wavs seem to have a delay before they play long enough to cause animation updates to pause even on small way of 300k. Anyway, I got round it, but if it's not a bug then at the very minimum it's poor documentation.

And I meant absolute in the sense that we can't go any further than the root of the app, so that effectively is the android equivalent of the c drive. I'm aware full paths work on pc, but I'm aiming at android where I don't think it used to work.

I think either I'm the only one with thus problem (perhaps my drivers but I very seriously doubt it) or people aren't understanding. In you own project, load some music, set it to play on loop, then after its playing change the folder to anywhere else. If you have my problem, the second loop will cause an error on pc and simply go quiet on android. As Jim said, this would likely be due to streaming, but it's still not mentioned in the documentation that I can see and the "loadmusic" command with 50 possible numbers certain doesn't suggest it's streaming.

Although actually, if it's streaming, once it's loaded and playing on Windows, if you delete the file would it surely not just kill the program the and then (depending on buffering)? That might make for an interesting test.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 15:49
The problem lies not so much with AppGameKit as with OpenGL and various audio subsystems. On mobile devices the streaming handlers will usually handle only one file at a time. On a PC you can stream lots of stuff at the same time - but the (IMHO crappy) tablet systems will smack your bottom if you try.

I doubt if you can delete the file whilst it's playing on Windows. The player "owns" the file. For example, you can't delete a running executable.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 19:39
Quote: "Ancient lady, does using absolute file paths work with android now?"

As JimHawkins said, it is not an absolute path, but relative to the app directory and it works just fine in Windows, iOS and Android (using the forward slash "/" in all cases). So, I use something line '/media/somefile' or '/media/music/somefile' without an problems at all. And, as implemented by the AppGameKit core, this works perfectly well in Android.

As posted, your app does fail. But by simply changing one line, it no longer fails.

By providing the music processing bits with the full path name to the file, all your problems (as posted here) go away.

And the documentation probably should be updated to make it clear that the LoadMusic command should have a full path (or make sure that the last SetFolder command leaves it in the same folder as the music file loaded).

It is not the music file or the setfolder command, but the way the process works, as described by JimHawkins.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 06:44
back to my orientationallowed problem...

even the blackberry agk player from the app store is not able to lock in on an allowed orientation setting.

it always flips.

I know this use to work on the original player cause i've used it.

Is it just in the bbutil.c that controls it...or I guess it would be in the interpreter side.... im gunna dig into tgc's code...see what I can find out.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 07:02 Edited at: 29th Aug 2013 07:04

this must be the section of code that's changing the screen?

its located in core.cpp

I think I need to dig deeper...

or do I un comment that mode = agk::GetOrientation();

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 09:21
@SMD_3D Interactive
Did my earlier suggestion not work? It worked for me in beta 10811.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 20:07:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 20:07:36