Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A Tier-1 Playbook Guide?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 04:15
Just about finished with the new game but am surprised to find there does not seem to be a guide for how to build an app for the Playbook using Tier-1. Did I miss it somewhere or does somebody have the steps handy?

Thanks

Apps published: 3
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 04:44 Edited at: 21st Aug 2013 04:48
That's exactly what im after....

im doing allot of trial and error right now but will let you know if I get any success.

What really sucks is tgc used paths for windows xp (legacy programs folder) and e:/ drive to boot. To make things even worse it would appear that the interpreter is split up in more then just 1 directory.... all the files to make the actual player are not in the single interpreter blackberry folder under agk.

it looks like you need to link multiple folders for the sdk to find so it can actually build the player.

Hopefully paul will respond to one of our threads to set us straight .... I remember I had allot of difficulty with the original player and got no help with that....took me 2 weeks to figure that one out.

edit:
another good question to ask is which sdk to use.....I tried both with no success so far.

I have 2.1.0 as well as 10.2.0 and neither of them are able to build the player so far as its having trouble finding paths to create the binary file

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 05:07
Quote: "interpreter is split up in more then just 1 directory"

There is the main <AGK>/IDE/app/interpreter directory that has the non-platform specific core AppGameKit code. The other interpreter_<platform> directories build apps for the specific platform. The 'lite' ones are just versions of the non-lite ones with some functionality removed.

For any given platform, you build a Tier 1 app based on the interpreter_<platform> or interpreter_<platform>_lite directory. For blackberry, you use interpreter_blackberry.

For linking, you should only need the AppGameKit library in <AGK>/IDE/platform/Lib/Debug or Release for the one you are building (either Debug or Release or Simulator). The project being built in your copy of interpreter_blackberry renamed for your project then links to the AppGameKit library and whatever SDKs are used for the social plugins (if they are supported on the blackberry). I do not have a blackberry to experiment with. So I haven't tried it at all.

Quote: "neither of them are able to build the player"

Which directory are you trying to build from?

And the guides for publishing and players for blackberry is definitely missing from the help Guides page. I can't find an AppGameKit version (going back to v1076 anyway) that does include the blackberry in the guides.

The blackberry Tier 1 and Tier 2 guides are definitely needed and hopefully someone at TGC will work it out.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 06:57
Thanks for the info Ancient Lady. I am kind of lost with the whole AppGameKit deployment thing.. I have built apps for iPad, Touchpad, and Android in the past but that was using GLBASIC which has very well documented guides.

I am having trouble understanding the basics of this.

I copy the interpreter directory to the project folder.
Now, I'm not exactly sure what to do with the interpreter_blackberry folder.

Do I overwrite the contents of interpreter with the contents of interpreter_blackberry?

Where do I find the AppGameKit library?

Thanks

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 07:05 Edited at: 21st Aug 2013 07:15
I've been importing the blackberry_interpeter files right into both of the sdks.... so files are copied....hence files go missing and links broken.

I don't know any other way to use the files other then importing the files directly into nsdk's work spaces.

the original for blackberry 1065....used the same setup to create the player. so since then tgc has changed it as all the files are no longer in the single directory (blackberry_interpeter)

edit:
actually tgc had a zip file for the first blackberry c++ code files. that was much easier to figure out... it was as simple as importing it into the workspace...then fixing the broken paths again... but at least all the files were there
(still took me 2 weeks to figure out)

It would have been soo much easier to work with if tgc didn't split the header files.... now its a pain to relink.... fix the broken paths

Im actually forced to downgrade agk to 1065....just so I can release some updates to my current projects.... I cant wait any longer... it just sucks...

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 07:41 Edited at: 21st Aug 2013 07:42
I had a similar issue as well, I was able to successfully build the iOS player from 1065 but not 1076 for the same reason. I can empathize, 8 months building this game and no guide is available to help with getting it deployed on a supported platform. Crazy. I also checked Alistair's book and was equally surprised to find nothing at all on the subject there either. I really thought all these guides would have been worked out by now. Crazy crazy.

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 09:38
@SMD_3D Interactive

Using V108b16 I was able to build a BB Playbook AppGameKit player, being short of time that's as far as I got.
I have just downloaded V108b18 and I will try to compile a complete priject as soon as I can.
With V108b16 I was using the BB NDK v2.1.0, I have not tried v10, but all my projects built with NDK v2 worked on BB10 so I have not upgraded.
There are a few pitfalls to be wary of.

You need to copy
IDE/Common
IDE/Platform
IDE/apps/interpreter
to C:\ndk-2.1.0-workspace

and edit the bar-descriptor file (using Wordpad) to correct the
"Package failed, invalid asset path" errors.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 18:09
Quote: "I copy the interpreter directory to the project folder.
Now, I'm not exactly sure what to do with the interpreter_blackberry folder."

No, you do NOT copy the interpreter directory anywhere. You copy the interpreter_blackberry directory and rename it to your app. Then you copy the byte code file created by the AppGameKit IDE (<yourapp>.byc in the <yourapp>/media directory) to the assets/media directory and rename it bytecode.byc (exactly) and copy all your other media to the same directory. After that, I don't know the process for building something for blackberry.

Quote: "no guide is available to help with getting it deployed on a supported platform."

For iOS and Android, there are lots of threads talking about stuff. And there are also guides that can be reached from the AGK Guides help page. I also have somewhat updated version posted in the iOS forum for basic install and build.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 19:18
Tone dialer... Thank you as that's the folders I didn't know that needed to be copied as well.

At ancient lady. Copying the files for nsdk for blackberry into the workspace is the best way to do it.

Using agks directories is sloppy and can be better organized in a workspace folder.... At least for bb

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2013 19:56
That sounds right. Like I said, I don't know the Blackberry build process.

So, you would copy the interpreter directory to have access to the files for building.

Then copy and rename the interpreter_blackberry.

Since you are copying directories for blackberry (similar to what is done for iOS and Android), copy the entire IDE/common directory and the platform/blackberry (where the libraries and source files for the common blackberry stuff are) directories.

The apps/interpreter, IDE/common and platform/blackberry could go into an area that was shared by all your blackberry projects.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 08:08
@SMD.. any luck getting this working?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 19:10
I'll get back to ya this weekend...

I will go crazy with it tonight till I find the solution.

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 21:59 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 20:41
I have finally been able to put put some notes together on how I got the AppGameKit BlackBerry player to build using AppGameKit V108beta18. The next step - Preparing your own app project was/is fairly well documented, but again I will try to pull some notes together.

I hope what follows helps...(it worked for me).

Edit: Extra clarification added.

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 02:41
Thanks very much for taking the time to put this together and post it. I'll give it a try when I get home tomorrow.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2013 21:18 Edited at: 24th Aug 2013 21:36
excellent...I got the beta 18 player working on nsdk 2.1.0

Thanks allot tone dialer...

If you guys need a tutorial....I can try too but try out tone dialers...and post questions when you get stuck.

to get started:

-download and install nsdk 2.1.0 (in its default directories)
http://developer.blackberry.com/playbook/native/download/

now you will need a software signing key here
scroll to bottom of page and make yourself a blackberry id
http://developer.blackberry.com/playbook/native/

next import the agk interpreter_blackberry folder into the workspace.

Now for the fun part of fixing paths...etc. Have a look at tone dialers list of things that need fixing.

And ask questions when ya get stuck and ill try to help.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
yes a step by step tutorial would be nice

i had all this working back last year, but i forgot how to set things up from scratch!
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 16:49 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 16:59
With a working player, the next step is to create the standalone app project.
I followed all the original instructions for this, all went well until trying to modify interpreter.cpp in the src folder.
The original instructions were to comment-in a strcpy instruction to force the use of the bytecode.byc file in the AGKPlayer.

The new interpreter.cpp already has this line already in use, and Paul has placed various 'clues' to the correct (new) way of forcing the use of bytecode.byc

Quote: "// If building a standalone app from the latest AppGameKit Player interpreter.cpp
// can use STANDALONE flag in standalone project to quickly enable bytecode launching"

Line 7 is //#define STANDALONE, removing the comment from this line did not seem to make any difference.

The IDE also highlights a code error at line 455
dwCR2=dwCR2; Assignment to itself error,
I commented this out for the moment and managed to clean, build and export my application.

When installed on my Playbook however, it just runs as the AGKPlayer and does not run in Standalone mode.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 17:45
Tone Dialer, did you copy the byte code file built in the AppGameKit IDE to <bbproj>/assets/media directory and rename it exactly bytecode.byc?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 18:19 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 18:27
@Ancient Lady

Genius , thank you for your help.

The original BlackBerry instructions were very clear in that the bytecode.byc and any sub folders (required by the App) should be placed directly in the assets folder.
Following your advice, I placed them in the assets/media folder instead, hey presto it worked!

I now have a working App on my BB Playbook using AGKBeta18.

It could also be that no changes are needed to interpreter.cpp now, as Paul appears to have picked up the name of the operating system and passes it through to the code. I found that if you do not open interpreter.cpp, the 'Assignment to itself error' is not picked up.

I will try to write up some notes ASAP.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 18:47
The earlier non-Windows interpreters allowed you to just put the files in the assets directory. This apparently caused some confusion somewhere, so by the time v1076 came out, the interpreter was forcing everything to be in the media folder. This was mentioned in the forums when the change was made. But it was quite a while ago (as computer time goes).

I also just checked the interpreter.cpp file. For blackberry, it assumes that it is supposed to look for bytecode.byc and doesn't need to be changed (as you noticed).

I'm glad you got it working.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 20:40 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 20:52
Part 2: Here we go...
My notes (based on Paul's original instructions) on how to Build and Export your own T1 Application for BlackBerry Devices.

For Part 1: Preparing the AppGameKit Player project, please see my previous post above.

I hope it is useful.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 20:48 Edited at: 25th Aug 2013 20:53
Now lets start populating the bb stores with some 3d apps!! :p

I guess I need to make a 3d one first...hehe :p

Its nice to see the text caption working properly with beta18
On 1065 I have the keyboard pop up and the edit box doesn't appear all the time....it works randomly

but works all the time in beta18

edit: for those that don't know...
Im working on a 3d model/animating software that will be free for everyone... its going to include obj still frame exporting so we can fake animate for agk v1. My app already does animated .x so that should be good for smooth animation in v2.

I will let everyone know when its ready.

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 00:19 Edited at: 4th Sep 2013 00:20
@Paul

Welcome back, hope you had a great break.

I have updated the BlackBerry Tier-1 App Build Guide, I am happy for both sets of instructions to be added to the Help files of the next release candidate.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=207473&b=49

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 16:49
Thanks, that will be very useful. Since my knowledge of compiling for Blackberry built up slowly over the development of AppGameKit I can't remember which steps I took to get here! One thing I do remember is the IDE had a habit of turning all my relative paths into absolute ones, hence all the E:\

I'll include your text in the next version.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 14:45:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 14:45:45