Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [iOS 7] APple started to raise the game console world

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 04:15 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 05:45
For the lovers of Apple like me (i was a convinced Window fan in the past), there are some important news coming with iOS 7.

Apple Store
The most important for indie developer is the turning back like on iOS 5.
This is a great news, as we will have again the vertical scroll to show the apps.
There will be new categories so your app will be found more easily.
For example, if i want a sport game, i will probably have the possibility to chose if \"ball sport\" or \"gym\"...

Another news is the \"Near you\" instead of Genius. I never understood Genius, so never used, but around you can be good for indie dev.

Apple Game as a Console
This night i read a news about the new SDK Apple is introducing.
Together with the Sprite Kit will be also available a JoyPad SDK and maybe a controller like a Kinect.
So this, make me to think they wanna focus on games.
In this way you can transform you iPhone 5 in a AirPort console and play with the JoyPad on each TV.

This translate in more downloads and paid apps.

Well the news i read in the last weeks make me think Apple returned to focus on indie developers, as we done a \"the big voice\" on the apple forum.
Much of us have the statistic of some years on the mac, and all of us can see the October 2012 apple store change made use of strange different earnings.
The same i can say on the algorithm they use in it.
It can be i do 750 free download every day of an app. I expect 650 / 340 / 1200, but not always 750, is impossible.

Anyway, i will inform you (ios coders) on the news, in this thread, i need to find some confirm on the rumours.

Long life to Steve!
basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 22:00
I respect your love to apple but as an experienced person. working with windows product is far more better and easier. everybody has to stop this unnecessary war against microsoft that indirectly funded by google and apple and comeback down to logic.

just to let you know that am not againt apple because I do believe that they do quality and beautiful products but regarding practicality they are down the line compare to microsoft.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 22:59 Edited at: 26th Aug 2013 23:02
War against Microsoft? I like Microsoft, in fact I have three PC's here with Windows installed. However, windows 8 was a big finger up at desktop users saying change with us or else. Now if they'd done a Windows 8 Tablet edition, and a Windows 8 Professional, I'd have been happy to carry on with Microsoft, but they've been a big mess. Windows RT massively destroyed consumer confidence in Windows 8. A bunch of users didn't understand why they couldn't run desktop apps (yet could run MS office) this made the market place uncertain. In addition to this having a massive screen full of tiles distracts from desktop users work.

Apple had it right, they had a great OS for desktop and kept it that way. I don't doubt that as tablets become more powerful iOS will eventually merge with or replace Mac OS in the long run. iOS 7 is already becoming more sophisticated. However, Apple realise that iOS and a mouse driven interface isn't ideal.

So there's no war against Microsoft, they are still the most popular operating system developers however they need to up their game, stop ignoring the desktop customers who have been the backbone of their enterprise business for many years, grow some consumer awareness and stop suffering knee jerk reactions to tablets. They are not doing themselves any favours.

That's my 2 cents worth.

P.S. I have iOS 7 Beta installed, it's a much nicer looking operating system, looks more up to date now. Still a little buggy in places but essentially it is all there. Or at least all the bits I use are.

Apple have already gone the OUYA route in many ways, it won't take much to take it a little further. To be honest iPad 4 top end graphics aren't that far off XBOX 360 standards. Of course it will be interesting to see how XBOX One and PS4 change the market. Though /Microsoft are one again showing a splintered focus, trying to become as much an entertainment company (Microsoft Cable anyone?) as much as a game making community.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 07:23
I'm not against Microsoft, but for the same reason Daniel said before, i'm using Windows Vista 64 Ultimate since many years. For me is the best on PC.

But, till i bought a MAC, i never turned the PC on again.
All that i needed to get my MAC Mini to go faster was 8Gb of memory instead the 2Gb stock.

Microsoft never make me earn money in his story.
Apple paid me after 30 days 300€
After 1 month, i bought a iPad, after 2 month i bought an iPod, etc....

Long life to Steve!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 11:00
hi hi...
Each of them have there pluses and minuses
its not right to say Mac is this and Windows is that..
both are good,
i think what Apple is all about is like Daniel said , keeping the customers happy while Microsoft always try to reinvent itself while in the process making everyone unhappy..

i never used a Mac until a few months ago..
now look at this benchmark:

my pc , A powerfull Hardcore Gaming notebook from Asus
i7
gtX m 670 (nvidia)
8 GB of ram ddr3
SSD 256GB <- Windows works here also all the powerfull programs
and HD 512GB <- Backup

and this is the Mac Mini I purchased
i5
4 GB of ram
normal HD
intel Graphics 4000
this is the lowest Mac you can find, the cheapest.

Nano Tech - Pro Benchmark No Vsync
Pc - starts at 3500 FPS and lowering until it gets to about 2000-1500
Mac - starts at 2000-3000 and lowering down to 2000-1500

so this was a big deal for me
the Apple uses about 1/3 of the power the windows notebook use
they actually work the same on both machine in the long run and the mac is smoother..
so i guess by using windows 8 there can be 2 options:
1. windows 8 dosenot know how to use hardware
2. windows 8 takes much more from the hardware in oppose to Lion OS x10

if the Intel Graphics 4000 would support games like Battlefield 3/4 i would stick with a Mac .. the Os is smoother simply like that.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 18:40
From the marketing point of view, seems that Microsoft done a gift to Apple.
Microsoft was much more forward than Apple in the last 10 years, but, in a certain moment, the gap was filled...
Microsoft started with Windows 7, i remember it didn't seem too desktop... too many widget, windows on border that resize.... i understood that it was going for something different, so i didn't bought it.

In the other side, Apple started to update his OSX, and devices.
Windows 8, can be funny for kids, but i can't see all that squares on the top. I get an headache in 5 minutes.

@ haliop
The same is for me, never happened a problem.
Only one time i done a stupidity on the Mac, because i was noob on it, and i deleted the partition.
But it connected by himself to Apple and downloaded the OS again!!!! LOL great feature!!!

Small space on the desktop, no noise, i like it.
And games will come, all developers are moving on it, the ecosystem is the best.

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 19:26
Windows 7 is okay. It is fairly stable and the interface is very similar to Windows XP. A reasonable desktop. Although I do get annoyed when it resizes things when they touch an edge.

Windows 8 bites the big one for desk top usage. It does have a legacy mode to behave like the Windows 7 desk top. But I bet that is pretty buggy at this point. I'm staying away from it.

And I do really, really like my Mac Mini (much quieter than the two towers for my Windows and Linux office computers).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 19:37
I have 8 computers here currently - 7 using W7 and a laptop with W8. Old laptops with XP available if needed.

W7 is rock solid. I have never had any machine crash or BSOD. Which is impressive for machines that are beign programmed all the time!

W8 in desktop mode is very efficient at streaming. Otherwise, it's pretty-much W7 with stupidity added as a front-end...

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 19:45
Quote: "I have never had any machine crash or BSOD."

I was having a big problem with BSOD in Windows 7 until all the right combination of drivers was updated. And I made sure that my optical mouse was kept clean so that weird signals weren't being sent.

I used to get it at least once a week on each of my Windows 7 desk tops. Then I updated display drivers and cleaned my mouses. And I've only had one on one computer since then (a couple of months now).

I have dual monitors on all my computers and use DisplayFusion Pro to give me the task bar across both of them (on the Windows PCs). Windows XP provided that automagically. But Windows 7 lost that capability. So, I suspect my BSODs are related to 'exotic' software manipulating the displays.

Aside from that, yup, W7 is pretty solid. About as good as XP Pro was/is (which I have installed on some virtual machines).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 00:25
I have to admit, when I follow the three rules "Update Windows, Update Drivers, Don't install illegal software." Windows 7 stability has been rock solid for me. I can't remember having a BSOD in windows since Windows 2000. What's more impressive is that I always build my own desktop PC's so my combination of hardware isn't officially tested.

I use multidesktop with windows all the time, when video editing I'm always narrating, so it's easier to shove a script on the left and the video editor on the right. It's always done me well.

Because I video edit, perform CGI work and of course make computer games, I need a certain amount of power under the hood. I've always been on a tight budget so this means PC. The hardware is cheaper, the specifications are higher. The desktop PC I built for £480 (nearly a year and a half ago) has the following specs.

AMD Quad Core 2.8Ghz
6Gb RAM
SSD 256 HDD (What a difference SSD makes!)
AMD 6670 1GB Graphics card

vs Mac Mini for about the same price

Dual Core i5 2.5Ghz
4GB RAM
Intel 4000 GPU (shared video memory)
500GB mechanical drive

In terms of sheer performance, my custom configuration built 18 months ago has it beat hands down.

If I was to price a new PC desktop, built from scratch at the same price a Quad Core Mac Mini comes in (£692, or £757 with DVD Superdrive) then I'm looking at something like this.

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 DDR3 ATX - £66.99
AMD FX-6200 AM3+ 3.8GHz 14MB 125W - £109.99
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL10 Vengeance Black Performance Desktop Memory Kit - £104.98
Sandisk 256GB Pulse SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive - £114.99
Asus AMD Radeon 7790 HD 1GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Direct CU II OC - £110.98
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English - £69.99
Corsair 750 Watt Builder Series CX 750 Modular Power Supply - £68.98
Gigabyte GZ-G2 Gaming Case Plus with USB 3.0 Ports & 2 Front Fans - £45.99
Samsung 12x BD-ROM/DVDRW Lightscribe SATA Retail - £47.66

Total - £740.55

I feel that a configuration like this is going to last me about 3 - 4 years useful lifespan. The Mac Mini as I am concerned is already out of date in terms of performance because it lacks the kind of gaming and video power. The specs above break down into.

Hexi-core (6) 3.8Ghz processor
7790 Graphics card
16GB RAM
256GB SSD

So in terms of sheer value for money, bang for buck, Apple isn't a very good choice. If like me you've been living on a tight budget since Y2K you need to make your machine last as long as possible before the next upgrade is due. The only reason I've gone to apple is because I find myself in a position were I need to be able to develop iOS and Mac OS software. If I could do that on a PC (Hackintoshes don't count, they are unreliable, and potentially a legal minefield) then I wouldn't have purchased a Mac at all.

P.S. If you just want to word process and run a linux box then the Raspberry Pi is great

I've had my Raspberry Pi running a Web Server and Subversion server for the last six weeks. It's been doing a fantastic job of it as well. The only gripe I have with it is that flash support is absolutely terrible, so no youtube videos. I do however have netflix running on it.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 07:27 Edited at: 28th Aug 2013 07:28
apple sucks....

and gaming console? pffftt!

lol!

(im just throwing my two cents in)
Don't mind me Gekko....ive always been a windows user... and an apple hater

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 14:00
yep Apple is a new kind of disease when ppl who likes Apple would buy everything..

once i went to an interview with iDigital which is the Israeli Apple distributor to work as a sells man in one of their shops..

and i told the woman who interviewed me that honesly i dont relly like Apple cause the price is way over and the specs just arent that good... but i do build apps and i really want to learn what Apple has to offer cause i really dont understand all the fuzz about it..

then she called me like 3 days later and said.. you are not right for us...

in the meanwhile i went to another big computer network in Israel which is called KSP and i got the job.

so.. in the first 3 days i made over about 50,000 dollars worth of sellings.. computers/tablets/mobiles /hardware etc..

then i went to buy a Mac Mini to get started developing for iOs and KSP dosenot sell Macs just iPad and iPhones ..
so i went again to iDigital.. and when i saw the ppl who worked there.. it kinda made me sad and happy .. cause honestly these "Apple" people are just idiots sorry to say it.. IDIOTS!
i walked in and i said "hi man i need a pc" he said.. there are no PCS here !!! ... so i said.. "dude you know what i mean!" i dont want an iPhone i dont want an iPad i dont want an iPod and i dont want a mobile computer i want a PERSONAL COMPUTER!!! but apple thinks MAC is not a PC .. a MAC is a MAC its is own kind of new creature that connects to the electricity in your house.. WTF?!

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 14:49
Mac worship is a religion. Irrational, blinkered, self-justifying, paranoid, and expensive.

Modern Macs are actually PCs. Same hardware (massively overpriced) and just running a different OS, which is actually Unix with a pretty front end. Basically, it's a con.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 15:15
Quote: "yep Apple is a new kind of disease when ppl who likes Apple would buy everything.."

hehe ...totally!

to show how badly people are brain washed there was this guy interviewing people in the states and showing them 2 iphone 4's and saying one of them was a i5...lol

you should of heard all the oh ya this iphone5 is so much nicer...better screen...lol! it was the same one lol!

they interviewed over 10 people and they all had nice things to say about that new iphone 5....pffft except that it wasn't an iphone 5

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 15:32
The computer centre at my local university absolutely refuses to support Macs of any variety. This is slightly hypocritical, because the publications unit uses them, as do a few senior academics who make a huge fuss, jump up and down, and behave like spoilt four-year-olds.

99% of the time they are just using email. Obviously email is so much better-looking on a Mac!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 18:10
@SMD_3D Interactive - Me too, but till i have started using it to work, now i hate Microsoft & Android.

@ haliop - Well, imagine you invent a game and call it "Haliop" and it became famous, and the people around the world call it "Stupidiop", i think you can go bad, right?

Anyway boys, you can say everything of Apple, i agree, but they are better.
Believe an old convinced PC Microsoft Q Basic programmer.

The interview you are talking about are done to a stupid, so please....

Here the post is not Apple VS Microsoft VS Android, is that
The new console world will be maybe by Apple.

You must see it as the market see it, not what you like or unlike.

Long life to Steve!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 19:18
Apple: yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 19:24
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 07:23
Joking!! I must remember that the Italian humor is hard to understand....
Maybe i will add some smileys the next time.
Sorry if you get sad!!!

Long life to Steve!
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 12:42
Now you guys are being a tad unfair. As I demonstrated above, the power you get out of a Mac Mini compared to a bespoke system doesn't even come close.

Lets talk about the one thing apple offer over high performance packages.

Extremely high quality engineering.

The Mac Mini I have here won't be running the latest and greatest games. But it is a fantastically quiet device. When recording tutorial videos I now do it on a boot camped Mac Mini. The thing is completely silent.

Next the Mac Mini is very small, it has a tiny footprint on my desk.

Next it is far more power efficient, at idle my Mini draws just 11 Watts of power. When at full burn it draws 85W and happily hovers between these points.

My desktop on the other hand draws 60W at idle, and slams 300+ Watts when running at full power.

What this means is that previously I used to use my noisy desktop to word process, record audio and record video. At the same time, it's saving on my electric bill and those things are on the raise. It is actually possible the Mac Mini will end up paying for itself over the course of three or four years.

This is the reason I prefer to do reading, web browsing and research on my iPad as well, it is also very power efficient. The screen is great, and the apps are extremely well made when compared to Android.

Finally I'll also point out that because it is quiet I've also integrated it with my home cinema system. Most of my movies are on iTunes, so it does the job of an Apple TV as well. Again the low audio footprint it has means that I don't have to contend with my noisy GPU fans playing Iron Man 3 through to my HDMI TV set.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
What Apple has created is a very tight and controlled ecosystem. Their products may be technically inferior and much more expensive than PC and Android counterparts, but they have a remarkably devoted following and enough of a user base (with ~75 million Mac computer users, ~6 million paid developers, and over 600 million mobile devices) to remain very prosperous. They also eliminate the massive fragmentation issue that Androids and PCs face by keeping everything under their direct control.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 13:30:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 13:30:14