Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Getting Started Guide

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 18:51
I have just bought AppGameKit but on the AppGameKit Welcome Page clicking on the Getting Startd Guide brings up the message,
"The web address you entered could not be found
You were trying to go to C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\AGKTrial\IDE\Editorsharecodeblocks......HelpGuides10_ide.htm"

Any help would be appreciated, Rob

http://www.freewebs.com/robslearningfun/
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 19:01
Maybe worth checking that location for the files yourself, make sure they're installed in the right place. Maybe the trial version uses just an AppGameKit folder instead of AGKTrial - that sort of thing is what I'd look for. If that is the case, heck, I'd just make the proper folder structure myself so the files are exactly where AppGameKit thinks they should be.

I am the one who knocks...
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
If you purchased AppGameKit, I would suggest that you completely uninstall the trial (through Control Panel) before installing the full version to avoid any conflicts in paths etc. Also, once you have purchased the full version you will be able to download the 108 beta from the My Products page on thegamecreators.com. I'd recommend installing that version over 1.076 as it contains hundreds of updated features.

Anyway, the getting started guide is also available at http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/10_ide.htm .
Rob from Scotland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 19:21
Thanks for the help. I did attempt to uninstall the trial but could not see it in the uninstall window of the Control Panel, either looking at the Name or Installed on columns. I then just tried to delete it from the Program files. I now find that exists in The Game Creators folder. If I try to delete this folder I am told, "You need permission to perform this action"

Any advice?

http://www.freewebs.com/robslearningfun/
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 19:32
It sounds like you are running into 'administrator' permissions issues. Something that can be a royal pain on Windows computers.

If you are the only person using your computer, turning off UAC (User Access Control, I think) is a great thing. This is done a little differently for each Windows version. Google "turn off UAC Windows <your version>" and see what you find.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Rob from Scotland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 21:22
I checked UAC and it was off. I had previously been advised to turn it off (Vista) and it was still off.

I got rid of AppGameKit and then installed 108 beta and, of course, now that I can find my way to the Getting Started Guide, I think that I'd better get started and learn some AGK.

Thanks for all the help.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2013 21:32
You are better off using the on-line help pages. Then the links will all work.

Or, open File Manager and navigate to <your AppGameKit directory>\Help and double click on the home.html file. Bookmark that and you'll then be using your local copy of the documentation.

I install my AppGameKit in C:\TGC\AGK<ver> to make my life easier. I hate spaces in directory names and dislike having to navigate the default directories looking for things. When you do the installation, it does give you the chance to tell it where to install.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Rob from Scotland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 15:18
Yesterday, all was well but today I can't even run the Hello World program that starting a new program starts with. All I get is the message, "Vertex shader failed to compile at line 0".

Any ideas?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
What video card are you using, and have you updated its drivers? AppGameKit 108 requires OpenGL 2.0, while 1.07 used OpenGL 1.4. Some older Intel integrated graphics cards do not support 2.0, but other times you just have to upgrade the drivers.
Rob from Scotland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 20:07
Is this my video card, "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family"? I am told that I have the latest drivers for this.

The only reference that I can find to OpenGL is "opengl32.dll". Should I uninstall AppGameKit 108 and install 1.07?
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2013 20:52 Edited at: 28th Aug 2013 21:03
Your video card supports following technologies:
DirectX: 10.0
OpenGL: 2.0
OpenCL: No
Shader Model Support: 4

Hmm, it might be that AppGameKit uses OpenGL 2.1, which introduced shading language 1.20 (even though if it doesn't use any of the two new features, it should still be fine, I think). Best if Paul speaks here (I guess Lee is taking care of FPSCreator: Reloaded, and doesn't visit these boards).

Also, here is the page for your graphics card:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/4m
If you haven't used it - use it.

@EDIT

Just found an old quote by Paul:

Quote: "Version 108 requires OpenGL 2.0 or above whilst 107 was OpenGL 1.4 or above"

So your graphics card should support it. You must make sure that you have the newest driver version for it, though.

If you have windows vista 64 bit, you need to download these drivers:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22167&lang=eng

If you have a 32 bit vista, then you need to download these:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22165&lang=eng

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
If your new to AppGameKit check out my tutorials thread! It may help you with some stuff!

Rob from Scotland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 14:40
Thanks for all the help. I did follow the advice and attempted to download & install the latest driver, but I ran into trouble. However, I [b]will go back and ensure that I have the latest driver!

In the meantime, I have installed v1076 so that I can get on and learn some AppGameKit, but I will install the latest AppGameKit soon. Multiple sclerosis has affected my cognitive ability but I will get there, just a little more slowly. I will also check out DVader's tutorials. I am, indeed, new to AppGameKit, although not to DarkBASIC.[/b]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 06:31:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 06:31:28