Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Perfomance question ! DBPro vs Dark GDK C++ vs Dark GDK PureBasic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 22:05
Hi guys!I get interested in Dark GDK 2.0 so i wonder which way is faster and more stable to use DBPro or Dark GDK C++ or Dark GDK PureBasic ? Im going to use shaders ,heavy models and textures ) Also it seems that Pure Basic is much much more easier to understand then C++
TimmyTopHat
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark GDK 2.0 appears to be an abandoned project, as the developer, Mistrel, hasn't really been heard from since 2012. As far as performace goes for DarkBASIC and DarkGDK 1.0, the speed that you achieve really depends on implementation. I personally have not seen much of a performance difference between the two, but since C++ is lower-level than BASIC, you have more control over how your game runs with that. So overall, I'd recommend DGDK 1.0 for performance, and DBPro for ease-of-use.

Indie Programmer - DirectX 11
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 01:02
bad news about GDK 2.0 =(( it looked like very powerful tool. I just try to find ways to speed up DB Pro ( like multithreading and so on)If GDK project is dead I think there is no reason to migrate from original DB Pro
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd say go DarkGDK, c++ gives you a lower level approach which lets you have more control over your program and you can use virtually any c++ libary.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 16:00
all ways go to that you have learn C++... DBPro - old and stoped updating , Dark GDK and Pure GDK - project RIP , DBPro Elite - project RIP too
TimmyTopHat
Years of Service
User Offline
It really is a shame that TGC hasn't really been working on their lower-level game making solutions. I remember when DGDK 1.0 stopped receiving updates: I was immensely disappointed. However, the products do still have a strong and dedicated community, so solutions to language-related issues get solved slower than they would with a dedicated team, but are overcome eventually.

I haven't been in the loop for about a year or so (I still use the tools once in a blue moon) as I've moved on to programming directly with DirectX 11.

As much as I understand your plight, I do recommend that you learn C++, regardless on whether or not you intend on using it: It's a valuable skill. Here are some easy-to-understand books on the topic:

SAMS Teach Yourself C++ Series. All of them are good.
http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Teach-Yourself-Hours-Edition/dp/0672333317

Learn C++ Through Game Design: Directly related to what you intend to do with C++.
http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/en/US/storefront/US;CMGTJSESSIONID=jvlnSvfWy1M1TNjL4fX2cF8LYv8JwvszhJClvLyWdFxrBPR1shrp!-1285230557?cmd=catProductDetail&gclid=CJOR3JbQqLkCFUSCQgodkC4AHw&entryPoint=storefront&cid=GSEM1&ISBN=9781435457423&messageType=catProductDetail

Indie Programmer - DirectX 11
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2013 14:23
Thanks TimmyTopHat! I still hope that Lee will upgrade DBPro after FPS Reloaded release.Also I found table of comparison here http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128&page=compare and then I decide to check it by myself.So I compile Evolved's shadowmapping demo in DBPro and after that in darkGDK. And i didnt get any FPS increase Ive heard that there is multithreading and much more in DarkGDK but the fps which i get was exactly the same =((
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2013 18:44
Quote: "Ive heard that there is multithreading and much more in DarkGDK but the fps which i get was exactly the same "

no, dark gdk and dbpro are the same product, the same code for rendering is used in both products so there can't be any difference.

The difference comes from the other parts of the engine - loops, file handling which are faster in c++. If your game doesn't have lots of those it will work the same as in dbpro

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2013 23:07
I bought a commercial licence awhile back for gdk 2 went to gdk 1 thoe found it easier to use.

.:: Http://DeanWorks.Ca ::.
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 13:19
Quote: "like multithreading and so on"

You can do multithreading with C++. Boost::Thread is one such library.

TheComet

Ben_UK78
Years of Service
User Offline
I've started using GDK.

Firstly I can't quite see how a good game cannot have lots of loops since there is much to do and much to check.

Secondly learning C++ has got to be good, even if I'm struggling with things I could have done in DBP in 5 minutes.

Thirdly I made a big project in DBP with around 35k lines and the compile times annoyed me. It also bugged me that loading the program took a few more seconds than I felt it should have. I am hoping that the compile and load times will be quicker.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:16:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:16:03