Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [LOCKED] * Mobile Application Design and Development Competition win $150 *

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 00:28 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 00:45
What is this?

To celebrate the upcoming launch of the first professional App Game Kit based course aimed at college and high school students worldwide being produced by Et Tu Create in partnership with myself, we are starting the company's first community competition for AppGameKit coders.

The challenge

We challenge you to produce a visually engaging music video, using age appropriate themes and legal source material. The choice of music is yours, the choice of images and graphics are yours. You can tell a story using characters set to music, produce mind-blowing visuals to electronic music’s, or produce something completely unique.

Benefiting the future

Once the competition ends your work will be professionally converted into a short tutorial students worldwide will learn from. We encourage you to promote strong fundamentals, great coding structures and professional code commenting.

Showing students what Independent developers can achieve

Together we can show thousands of potential students the power of independent developer communities such as our own. Helping to draw young minds into the art of software development, supporting future creativity and original concepts.

The rules

Must be Tier 1 code.
No pre-rendered videos.
No 3D models or graphics.
No physics should be used.
Sprites, and particles are allowed.
Images and music from legal creative commons with commercial usage rights or public domain source.
Sources of all media used must be clearly defined and their sources documented.
Code should be commented as best as possible.
You agree to give all copyright and ownership to Et Tu Create.
All age appropriate material and themes only.
No Easter eggs or hidden content.
The final app must be designed to run on a mobile phone.
All entries must be in by Midnight British Summer Time (BST) on Sunday November 14th 2013

The Prizes

First place $150 dollars
Second place $50 dollars
Third place a model pack of your choice

Submission Instructions

Coming soon...
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 00:43
Good luck with this.

companies/company's

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 09:37
interesting
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 11:15
Quote: "No 3D models or graphics."

Quote: "No physics should be used."

That's a bit limiting but I guess you have a good reason.

I doubt I'll have time to enter but I like the idea of it good luck everyone!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 11:49 Edited at: 4th Sep 2013 11:51
The course is designed for high school and college level beginners. Because we don't teach 3D (the course is based on 1.076, which doesn't have it) and we don't teach physics, because that's a mid to high level topic.

Introducing those technologies to students at this point wouldn't benefit them, or help them achieve their qualification.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 14:06
today i make a concept and i am ready to begin
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 16:07
Don't know if I will participate, but I hope for all who do that this competition doesn't go down the drain like this one (which seems to have been a total waste of time)...

Visit my blog: sebastianpauli.tumblr.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 16:22
Quote: "I hope for all who do that this competition doesn't go down the drain like this one (which seems to have been a total waste of time)..."

I know, it's a real shame that it has taken so long to get followed up. I can only apologise for that on TGC's behalf, they just had too much going on and not enough people.

This competition is not directly run by TGC though so hopefully it should not have the same problems...

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 16:33
the problem is that most of us have a full-time job, tasks to carry out, a family, children, some other hobbies, or a linear combination of the former, so to spend the evening or the night in front of the monitor sometimes could lead to some mental desease, or at least your wife who starts grumbling against you.
For students o creative people, it seems a very interesting competition...
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 16:38
That's interesting, because it looks like a Commodore 64 demo. Actually for people that need some ideas, check the http://csdb.dk, and you probably have thousands of videos like that.

Cheers

----------
Paulo
http://c64programming.wordpress.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 16:48
Quote: "the problem is that most of us have a full-time job, tasks to carry out, a family, children, some other hobbies, or a linear combination of the former, so to spend the evening or the night in front of the monitor sometimes could lead to some mental desease, or at least your wife who starts grumbling against you.
For students o creative people, it seems a very interesting competition..."

Well I hate to sound optimistic but despite my full-time job, family, children, other hobbies, mental diseases and grumbling wife I'll still try to get something done. Even if it's a bit basic

I quite like the idea of making something with a story... I'm wondering whether that would be an easy thing to turn into a lesson though so maybe not. I have a few other ideas though that might be better for the job.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm doubtful that I will have time to enter, but it sounds like a fun project. To clarify, the apps are not supposed to have any user interactivity, only view-only? Can I ask what Et Tu Create means and does, I would be interested in learning more about it but can't find any reference to it online except a blank website.

Quote: "I know, it's a real shame that it has taken so long to get followed up. I can only apologise for that on TGC's behalf, they just had too much going on and not enough people."

Well, there were only three or so entries in the competition. It wasn't like an Intel competition where hundreds of entries needed to be judged. Surely it would only take half an hour (at most) for Rick to go through the few entries and provide feedback with a chosen winner. The subsequent actions (polished art and publishing) may take a bit longer but hopefully not months.

I just don't think it's asking too much of TGC's time to follow-up, especially when those who submitted entries spent much longer developing them specifically for the competition and now have heard nothing for months except Rick saying several times he'd get to it next week (starting in July). I declined to enter it specifically due to the history with DVader's Moon Snaker from the previous competition, and because I am doubtful a small paid title as such would get enough downloads to be at all profitable to anyone with 50% split w/ TGC on top of the 30% Apple/Google gets.

I know you would've been on top of it right away had you still been with TGC, Baxlash. You were the most active and helpful TGC staff member during your time there.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 19:20
Quote: "Well, there were only three or so entries in the competition. It wasn't like an Intel competition where hundreds of entries needed to be judged. Surely it would only take half an hour (at most) for Rick to go through the few entries and provide feedback with a chosen winner. The subsequent actions (polished art and publishing) may take a bit longer but hopefully not months.

I just don't think it's asking too much of TGC's time to follow-up, especially when those who submitted entries spent much longer developing them specifically for the competition and now have heard nothing for months except Rick saying several times he'd get to it next week (starting in July). I declined to enter it specifically due to the history with DVader's Moon Snaker from the previous competition, and because I am doubtful a small paid title as such would get enough downloads to be at all profitable to anyone with 50% split w/ TGC on top of the 30% Apple/Google gets.

I know you would've been on top of it right away had you still been with TGC, Baxlash. You were the most active and helpful TGC staff member during your time there."

Thanks, I can't really comment on why it has taken so long as the competition finished around the time I left TGC. I did make my own judgment on the competition but in the end it wasn't really my decision to make. Anyway let's not taint this competition any longer with talk of a different one, I'm sure Dan will do us all proud as usual!

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 22:51
Then I suggest Baxslash tell us his judgement on that competition and we all agree that that's the official winner, and then Rick can shamefully and silently agree!

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 00:53 Edited at: 5th Sep 2013 01:03
Quote: "To clarify, the apps are not supposed to have any user interactivity, only view-only?"

I've intentionally left that open, do what feels right. If it feels right to you, it'll feel right to the judges.

Quote: "the problem is that most of us have a full-time job, tasks to carry out, a family, children, some other hobbies, or a linear combination of the former, so to spend the evening or the night in front of the monitor sometimes could lead to some mental desease, or at least your wife who starts grumbling against you. "

Yeah I hear ya. Life get's too heavy some times. All I can say, is if you have time scale back a small idea and just have fun with it. Given the time scale small scale concepts could well be all anyone has time for.

Quote: "I quite like the idea of making something with a story... I'm wondering whether that would be an easy thing to turn into a lesson though so maybe not."

Let me worry about that! All I ask is that you comment it so I understand what's going on. After that, conveying the information to students is my job.

Quote: "Can I ask what Et Tu Create means and does, I would be interested in learning more about it but can't find any reference to it online except a blank website."

Et Tu Create is a production company for educational courses in america, after writing Teach Yourself Game Programming for Android and Windows I was contacted by their representative to evolve the concept into a full fledged professional app making course. The company is working with an association which means that this course will grant future students with a real world qualification. This effectively makes knowing AppGameKit Tier 1 an employable skill with companies world wide. Pretty exciting stuff right!

You likely did find the website we're using, lol. But we're working on the core learning systems right now, we'll get an entry portal set-up at some point. Because we're very nearly working directly with schools, colleges and universities however a consumer level entry portal isn't our top priority. Though again, we will get a proper site up for visitors in the future.

Quote: "today i make a concept and i am ready to begin "

That's the spirit!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 12:50 Edited at: 9th Sep 2013 09:10
that's my idea

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 14:56
I look forward to seeing it in operation.
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2013 03:23
I am going to see if I can enter this depending on my
Quote: " "full-time job, tasks to carry out, a family, children, some other hobbies, or a linear combination of the former, so to spend the evening or the night in front of the monitor sometimes could lead to some mental disease, or at least your wife who starts grumbling against you. ""

So far I have tried to source some decent music, My musically talented friends all want a cut of any earnings and feel 50% is reasonable (they do spend about as much time making the music as I would coding.)

So I have been looking for other sources.

Some interesting sources so far are

1) http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=154987&b=34

2) http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=174841&b=21

3) http://dig.ccmixter.org/dig

4) http://www.openmusicarchive.org/index.php

5) http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2103

I give no guarantee of the copyright status or quality in these links, however as far as I can see, they should be ok.

Hope this is of some help.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2013 23:54 Edited at: 19th Sep 2013 10:45
today i build in a event/status system.
the bus come,stay,people come out of bus,the bus drive away, they
get at desk a gadget if the moving walkway stops,some other people come without bus into the screen,next bus come.
and i made some particels at the rainbow
+leafs +sun in background +tree
its nice to look.

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 04:55 Edited at: 16th Sep 2013 04:56
One month to go, quite pleased with my progress so far.

I have managed to find an excellent, inoffensive song, licensed under Creative Commons with commercial use allowed.

The Girlfriend has not been grumbling too much yet.

I am also very happy with my initial visuals, though I have much more to do.

Yours is looking great Markus, and hope there are more silent entries in the making.

Attachments

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2013 00:17
Great looking project, I look forward to seeing it in action.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 00:45
Due to a general lack of interest so far I'm extending this deadline by 1 month.

November 14th
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2013 12:55 Edited at: 29th Sep 2013 12:55
ok,i hope some others join in.
the last thing i added was clouds.

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 16:35 Edited at: 9th Oct 2013 16:36
1, This post could do with a Sticky again.

2, Glad to see an extension to the deadline, Come on peeps chance of a $100 for a wee bit of fun and you might learn something too.

3, A lovely PC screenshot of my entry. Added Lyrics and front- screen with links to song used and licence. Tweaked and polished the rest. My PC version is looking good (If I do say so myself).

Attachments

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 16:48 Edited at: 9th Oct 2013 17:08
Now here are my problems,

Full development was done on the PC, I have an Android TV stick to test things on, however Access to the living room is restricted (For some reason my family like to use the TV.)

Today they were out and I did a test these are the problems I am finding

1) NO MUSIC - AppGameKit Player is not playing any music. I tested an old program and the old APK works fine, but the same program played with the AppGameKit player does not work anymore. (It Still plays WAVs).
2)fuzzy Sprites.
3)Gone are my lovely blended sprites to make the Water (one on top of another, 3 in total).
4) Multiple copies of my animated character.

Here is a screen shot on Android, Any help would be appreciated. I am using AppGameKit Build 108 Beta 19 and the latest player from the Android Store.

edit:
I have now tried the AppGameKit player beta 19 from the downloads with the same results.

Attachments

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 17:22 Edited at: 9th Oct 2013 17:24
@Jammy
filename maybe upper/lower case? must extact the same at load("") for android.
set the depth for all sprites in the order you want.
maybe a fileformat problem or do not use SetIntendedDeviceSize.
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 17:58 Edited at: 9th Oct 2013 18:03
Thanks Marcus

1)Filenames are correct (I have had that problem before), they don't load and are replaced by placeholders. this is not the problem.

2) Sprite Depths are Set and Works great on PC version.

3) Format problems - Music are MP3s, Pictures are PNG, and I never used to have a problem. I have tried different bitrates etc. for Mp3s. (though Image Size could be my problem, I will be trying that)

4) I have tried various resolutions including the default with no success.

Find attached an exe of my PC version so far.

Attachments

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 18:08 Edited at: 9th Oct 2013 18:14
@Jammy
i mean this can happen if a png used a wrong header or something.
also at the mp3, you you have a bad lib that creates this files other
software can't load it.
also it can be a problem with other os version.
i can help you if you want, just attach your project as zip.
(the pc version works, i saw, nice)
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 18:43
Thanks again Marcus,

The Image problems I am having are down to size, In my quest for quality, I was a wee bit silly. I have reduced the main character image size and It is now displaying properly. I'm sure the background has the same problem.

My Mp3 Problem is a different matter, I have tried various songs, None play. I will make an APK and see if it is a player problem, I am having. I will try on a Friends Device and see if it is a device problem.

The family are due back soon and I have to remove my Stuff from the living room before my 3 year old destroys it (and take out the bins, Sigh).

If I cant get things working I may contact you later.

Thanks again for your help.

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2013 13:42 Edited at: 12th Oct 2013 13:44
The Mp3 problem seems to be with the player. Once made into APKs it works fine. I have had to reduce my image sizes, which makes scrolling more repetitive, to keep acceptable quality. However overall I am vey pleased.

Attached it pretty much my finished version for the PC.

The Android version is available on the play store.
here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.JammySoft.Fading_Things&hl=en

Give them a go and let me know, If it works ok on your devices.

I may make the writing clearer for smaller devices, What do you think ?

I have still to clean up and add comments to my code, once I am happy with that I will post it here.

Attachments

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2013 20:21
@Jammy
jo, seems to work at my tablet.
but at start the music begins and then there
is 10 seconds a black screen only,then the menu appear.
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 19:55 Edited at: 25th Oct 2013 20:09
Find attached my submission, including assets and code.

I have added comments, made my code as tidy and structured as I can (I'm rubbish at that). As we still have a couple of weeks left I am very open to constructive criticism.

Thanks Markus, I have added a loading screen, though I am not sure it looks good on fast devices. I have also tried to make the text clearer for small devices.

The Smart packer, PC Version is available here

http://www.weejammy.com/agk/pc/fading%20things%20by%20jammysoft.zip

The Android version is available on the Google Play Store here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.JammySoft.Fading_Things&hl=en

Please download and review and rate it. Saying truthfully what you think.

I'm a bit Disappointed in the lack of interest shown by the community for this excellent project, It has given me a lot of fun and I have learned a thing or too as well.

Daniel when extending the deadline you should have increased advertising e.g. Newsletter, Facebook or even just having it as a Sticky post would help. Though, it might not have made a difference. Hope there are still some silent entries in the pipeline and thanks again for this little project.

Attachments

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 23:33
@Jammy
seems the loading images can't loaded because upper/lower case or something in filename at android. i tryed the google store version today.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 00:21
Android is case sensitive about file names. The Load commands need to use the same case as the actual files and paths.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2013 00:45
Sigh, Thought I had sorted that... doh !!

Not had a chance to check it on my android TV stick. Will sort that thx.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 15:52 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 17:59
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2013 18:58 Edited at: 29th Oct 2013 19:19
Hu another competition, I did not take the last one seriously. I am currently teaching agk as well. You did not mention that it needs to meet common core standards. The common core standards are only for grade levels k-12. This was actually the first time I seen this post. I wonder if we can use free sprites on the internet as well. I use C++ to teach though because its more common

You should also provide a code length limit because high school students will not be able to process a program over 200 lines or so, but the documentation can increase the length.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 06:48
Sorry guys, this competition has been cancelled. Only two users have demonstrated any interest in this. That's not enough to justify the prize money.

It's a shame, this would have started a series of competitions with greater prizes, but it seems this community is unwilling to participate.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 03:47:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 03:47:40