Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Get iOS version

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 11:59
Is there a way in Tier 1 to get the version number of iOS that the device has?

This can be a 108 command if it's not in 107.

AGK 108 (Backed v2)
Windows 8 x64
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 16:45
I don't think so. There is a command to get the device name, but I can't find anything that looks like it would provide the version of the OS running (on any platform).

Why do you need it?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
SolusHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 16:49
In a previous post on this forum it was mentioned that the iPad 1 with ios5 had problems with GameCenter commands (which I still can't get to work in Tier 1).

So, I thought I would detect ios5 and disable gamecenter in my app, in case there were users with iPad2, etc on ios5 as well.

AGK 108 (Backed v2)
Windows 8 x64
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately, the "version" that AppGameKit retrieves via GetDeviceName() is not indicative of the iOS version. For an iPad 3 running 6.1, it'll return "ios|iPad3,1" and for an iPhone 5 running the same it'll return :ios|iPhone5,2". The 'minor' version returned at the end of the string does not indicate what OS version it is at all.

However, 92-96% of users are on iOS 6 or above, with only 4-8% using an older version. It may not be worth the hassle to disable it on those devices as the number of iOS 5 users goes down every day. A lot of apps in the market do not even support iOS 5 anymore, which will force even more to upgrade.
SolusHunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2013 19:59
OK, that helps, thanks.

The downside is the iPad 1 doesn't have iOS6, if my google search is correct. Which means my game wouldn't be available to those with the older device

AGK 108 (Backed v2)
Windows 8 x64
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 03:12
Sorry boys, i don't understand a thing....
You need the iOS version in Tier 1 right??
Where is the problem, can you use OBJ C in Tier 1???

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The downside is the iPad 1 doesn't have iOS6, if my google search is correct. Which means my game wouldn't be available to those with the older device "

You can detect iPad 1 devices by reading the device name with GetDeviceName(). The iPad 1 will include the phrase "iPad1" (the full identifier is: "ios|iPad1,1" so you can still filter based on this knowledge, since iPad 1 does not support iOS 6.

Quote: "Sorry boys, i don't understand a thing....
You need the iOS version in Tier 1 right??
Where is the problem, can you use OBJ C in Tier 1???"

Tier 1 is BASIC only, there is no way to interact with Objective C classes or frameworks that would make getting this information easier.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 06:54
Ahhhhh....
Lol i understand now...
And which IDE you use for basic???? XCode??

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 09:07 Edited at: 5th Sep 2013 09:08
@Gekko, Tier 1 BASIC is done through AGK's own IDE (AGK.exe). Although, some have had success adding support to Sublime and other editors. Tier 1 apps must be compiled on Windows, so no Xcode. Once the bytecode file has been compiled, it can easily be imported into Xcode to create an iOS app without having to do any work with C++ or Objective C. This might be where you've been confused in past posts--a LOT of people developer iOS apps using AppGameKit, but most do so using Tier 1 BASIC in Windows (or strict C++ Tier 2), so they don't have to know anything about Objective C.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 16:26
xGEKKOx, I don't think you can do Objective C tricks with the Tier 1 apps. There is no way to add commands into the AppGameKit code accessible to the AppGameKit users that can be hooked a C++ or Objective C. Tier 1 is purely interpreted byte code on the execution side.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 15:44
Ah ok, now i understand. It must be compiled on windows.
As i never looked at it i didn't know.
Now i understand all the difficulties for Tier 1 users.

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 16:21
Quote: "Now i understand all the difficulties for Tier 1 users."

Tier 2 does have some flexibility that is not available to Tier 1 users.

But Tier 1 is great for people who don't have formal schooling in computers but want to try their hand at game (and other app) programming. Or for people who just plain prefer Basic as their programming language of choice.

The thing TGC did with building the interpreter and compiler so that the Tier 1 accesses the same libraries as Tier 2 is pretty impressive.

Especially being able to set up the environments to allow the same code to be used in all of them.

(Yeah, I am a big TGC fan. )

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2013 17:23
I'm a fan too!!!
I used dark basic for years also to do some app on windows.
I remember when i mixed the windows library to do window in dark basic, lol....
I'm a fan of the desktop /os coding, and i have a similar GEOS from the c64 done in dark basic

TGC work is great!!!

Long life to Steve!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 13:43:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 13:43:08