Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / How to use Illumination Map Shaders?

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 08:16 Edited at: 5th Sep 2013 10:30
I've done a search and to be honest didn't find much help that actually gave me any working results.

I'm trying to create a model that has an area of it illuminant. I've created an illumination map texture that is black and white and gave it the suffix of object_I.dds.

It is to my understand that there are two shaders to use for this effect:

illuminationmap.fx (for segments)
illuminationent.fx (for entities)

Using this type of path:

effectbank\ps_2_0\illuminationent.fx

EDIT: I've figured out the issue and hopefully anyone searching for the same issue will find this post:

You have to use a texture called object_D2.dds I was using one with just object_D.dds.

In the attachment is an example I did using the illumination shader provided in the ps_2_0 folder.

So even though I've answered my own question, I do have yet one that I don't know the answer to. How does one go about creating the effect of two shaders? Say I have a metal object that I'd love to look shiny yet has a part on it that is illuminated? Like for example the Jaws character in the Viral pack seems to have both types of shaders on.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 17:49
This is something I'd hoped might be adressed in FPSC for some time now. A single object can only use 1 shader. Thus you would need a shader written to accomodate the effect your seeking. On an older post Bond1 said he could make such a shader for us, but never got any further replies. Probably due to his work on Reloaded. Which is totally understandable.

I've often wondered if an entity object could be scripted out in an .fpe to have multiple parts. Similar to how we now, can add a decal to an entity object. After all, the decal is a seperate entity that can be positioned, and displayed as part of a single entity object.

For example: Being able to use say, Bond1's tangent basis on a computer monitor base, and add a second part( A screen) That can display animations using his animated shader, or Blackfox's video textures. This would be a vast improvement to those types of objects allowing them to blend in with the surrounding area in a more natural looking way.

I suck at scripting, I only know enough to get me by with what I do. Thank the creator for folks like Blackfox who write any I need to get stuff to work the way I want it.

In some cases, you can use multiple objects, and build the item you want in the editor, But can be very tedious.

Back from the Wasteland.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2013 18:02
Hi Teabone
Quote: "metal object that I'd love to look shiny yet has a part on it that is illuminated"

Uzi Idiot released a shader called bumpentillum.fx. Uses the "I" texture for illumination plus an "R" reflect texture. May work for you? Was meant for weapons, but worth a shot.
best
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2013 12:48 Edited at: 6th Sep 2013 12:50
Oh thanks Ncmako I'll check that out!

lol Cosmic Prophet I actually tried floating multiple entities ontop of each other but proved to be too tedious. I really hope reloaded comes jam pacccked with shaders of all kinds so we dont have to do such random work around solutions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:55:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:55:50